• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The Charts 'n 'at

I was looking up some background to the BBC's Annual Sound of Music, and turned up a quote from a music critic, on the matter of a Critics' Choice Award and self-fulfilling prophecies:

"It smells like a cunning music industry strategy to generate consensus and protect its own investments."

Just what the whole Charts business is about - which is the underlying reason why Radio 3 shouldn't touch them with a proverbial.

A friend of mine doing a sociolology course said their most recent class examined the way in which the most obvious way that parents educated their children was in how to be a consumer. The BBC is now in loco parentis ... ???
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I was looking up some background to the BBC's Annual Sound of Music, and turned up a quote from a music critic, on the matter of a Critics' Choice Award and self-fulfilling prophecies:

"It smells like a cunning music industry strategy to generate consensus and protect its own investments."

Just what the whole Charts business is about - which is the underlying reason why Radio 3 shouldn't touch them with a proverbial.
    I've long suspected this - how disappointing Totally agree about Radio 3's non-involvement

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    A friend of mine doing a sociolology course said their most recent class examined the way in which the most obvious way that parents educated their children was in how to be a consumer. The BBC is now in loco parentis ... ???
    I've often wondered this when I see a parent shopping with a babe strapped to her/his chest facing outwards, watching all the shopping action ... hmmm

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

i would have a very hard time getting my kids to listen to the radio at all they hate charts; i have a hard time making myself listen to the radio these days ...
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Barlow? Barlow?
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          The paper quotes Matt Payton, director of external affairs at commercial radio industry group RadioCentre as complaining: "The BBC overstepped the mark previously, with its promotion of acts like Coldplay and U2. We hope that the BBC Trust will be watching closely to ensure that this sort of undue prominence doesn't occur again." "

The BBC Trust never taked the remotest notice of what RadioCentre complains of - like Radio 3 aping Classic FM. They're like: "They would say that wouldn't they?" Is Gary Barlow the same as Robbie Williams or different?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Is Gary Barlow the same as Robbie Williams or different?
            der NarziƟmus der kleinen Differenzen

is a term coined by Sigmund Freud in 1917, based on the earlier work of British anthropologist Ernest Crawley: 'Crawley, in language which differs only slightly from the current terminology of psychoanalysis, declares that each individual is separated from others by a "taboo of personal isolation"...this "narcissism of minor differences"'.[1] The term describes 'the phenomenon that it is precisely communities with adjoining territories, and related to each other in other ways as well, who are engaged in constant feuds and ridiculing each other' - 'such sensitiveness [...] to just these details of differentiation'.[2] wicki

would apply to them ff ......

Comment

Working...
            X