How long do you hold out against the tide of Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

No thought gets put into Christmas before December here, although, like others I write my cards listening to the Advent Service on R3. I prefer the excitement of wrapping presents and last minute shopping on Christmas Eve.
    As to the menu, if I'm home with friends (our family is scattered far and wide so the big get togethers are now infrequent) then I cook the main course and others contribute the starter and puddings (which does not include Christmas pud) None of us particularly liking turkey - too big and rather boring - it's very often lamb, but with all festive trimmings such as pigs in blankets. Lots of sprouts of course! This year however I may be visiting family Oop North or I may spend New Year there, not sure, got to decide within the next few days. I try and avoid the chaos of supermarkets as the time approaches, I order meat from the butcher and use the greengrocer.
    As children, Dad used to visit his brothers in the country and return with a 6' tree (I suspect it was gained in an unlawful fashion) and was put up on Christmas Eve. If there is a tree here then it doesn't go up early either, it's all rather low key here - but still very enjoyable.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I have worked the last 15 Christmas's on the trot since many of my colleagues have (or had) young children.
      Surely it's about how many patients you've got on the ward, rather than whether the staff have got children?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

If Anna wants to know what to give me for Christmas ... Bet it's already sold out!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Er...don't be seriously ill at weekends or school holidays!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            If Anna wants to know what to give me for Christmas ... Bet it's already sold out!
            I would gladly buy it, but an initial search reveals it has only sold one copy .... but, I am on the case!

Comment

• Don Petter

Fairly easy to hold out when I see a Christmas tree in the local garden centre priced at £945.00. (It was a bit larger than I would have wanted.)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Lol! I may be confusing Ronco with K-tel!

The brush had a sort of velvet head that took fluff etc off if you moved it one way, and released it when you brushed the other way. Same one?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  are we not all fed up with ... six-pack firemen

Well, I can't get enough of them. The number of fires I've had at home this year ...

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Very boringly Christmas starts here at exactly the same time every year .......when Lady Gould says it does....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Enjoyed that - cheers Rob!

Comment

Working...
                      X