Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Perhaps worth mentioning that there are now smart electronic boxes that can be 'plumbed in' by the phone and will shield you from dodgy calls. A particular target market is that sector of elderly people who can't be persuaded to quit paying money to every scammer with a hard-luck story who calls them. See the 'Think Jessica" campaign's website if you want/ need to know more. (Of course, it does usually need family intervention to fit the device and programme it, but it can help.)

As I understand it you can just press a button in the middle of any call you don't want to get again, and that blocks all subsequent calls from that number.

[Might even be useful for indigent second cousins seeking a Xmas invitation, and even the mother-in-law??]

I think they can be had for less than the £60 subscription mentioned at the top of the thread.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      Perhaps worth mentioning that there are now smart electronic boxes that can be 'plumbed in' by the phone and will shield you from dodgy calls. A particular target market is that sector of elderly people who can't be persuaded to quit paying money to every scammer with a hard-luck story who calls them. See the 'Think Jessica" campaign's website if you want/ need to know more. (Of course, it does usually need family intervention to fit the device and programme it, but it can help.)

As I understand it you can just press a button in the middle of any call you don't want to get again, and that blocks all subsequent calls from that number.

[Might even be useful for indigent second cousins seeking a Xmas invitation, and even the mother-in-law??]

I think they can be had for less than the £60 subscription mentioned at the top of the thread.
      People who make these calls almost never use the same number from which to do so; these bits of kit are therefore a waste of time as well, having heard from several people who've tried them with very limited success. If someone wants to call you, they will; the trick is in how to deal with such calls if someone's available to answer them and does so.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        People who make these calls almost never use the same number from which to do so; these bits of kit are therefore a waste of time as well, having heard from several people who've tried them with very limited success. If someone wants to call you, they will; the trick is in how to deal with such calls if someone's available to answer them and does so.
        Maybe. Only trying to help...
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          Maybe. Only trying to help...
          I appreciae that but, as these things are such a wretched nuisance - and forking out for some preventive kit whose success then turns out to be very limited serves only to aggravate an already irritating situation - I'm only trying to help as well!

Comment

Working...
          X