Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Thanks TS; next time you're in Bournemouth (which is nearer to you than me), you wouldn't mind having a look to see if there's a 24 Westover Road in BH1 with a third floor, would you?
    Crikey - this thread has gone weird! Are we to embark on Cherchez la Femme?
    (In Bournemouth ........... !!)

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Madame requires the Premium Service (which costs considerably more).
      you seem very knowledgeable, Don......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Gordon
        • Nov 2010

This thread reminds me of a slghltly different experience a friend of mine had. He was rushing out of a store on a retail park in Reading and got "cold-caught" by a young lady promoting a new Self Storage facility just around the corner. To advertise it there was a large zeppelin balloon tethered to a van in the car park. She tried to explain to him what the benefits were of storing stuff with them rather than cluttering his loft etc. He looked at her and then looked at the balloon and said " If you think I'm going to bring you a lot of my stuff and swarm up that rope to that balloon you can think again!" and walked off.

Comment

• JimD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          I responded to the letter I received about the new charge for Privacy and Caller ID. I've now registered to get it free for another year (and was told the same might be offered next year). I would not be without Caller ID, but asked what the Privacy bit meant - the reply was that this prevents spam calls from getting through to me. I did not know I had this, but I virtually never get spam calls, so it obviously works. (Unlike my mobile, which frequently gets the silent or money claim calls.)
          I can't say that I don't get any cold calls but they are pretty thin. I noticed that if you pay line rental 12 months up front you get a whacking discount and free Caller ID. That's the way to go from January for me I think. I too find caller ID on the landline very useful, and not just for 'spam'.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

One strategy for getting rid of cold callers appeared in the Daily Telegraph comments underneath an article on the subject some months ago and I wish I could find it again as it was hilarious and quite brilliant. It went something on the lines of immediately asking the cold caller for their password before they could speak to you. Then they must provide a security number and mother's maiden name. It just stops them dead in their tracks and you have the upper hand. Great fun.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

Yes, agree that caller id is terribly useful. The most annoying ones are the ones where they start with "This is an urgent message regarding..." by the time it gets to the second or third word I have either shouted "go away" (or similar) down the phone or just hung up.

I recently had a very long conversation with a chap trying to "help" me with my pension and kept him talking at his company's expense for ages. And he called me back twice to carry on the conversation!
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

As regards being abusive or slamming down the phone to cold callers, I gave up after finding this only seemed to encourage them to come back, time and time again! It made me wonder if the call centre recruiters for this kind of job go to masochist websites for their recruiting!!!

Comment

• Anna

It made me wonder if the call centre recruiters for this kind of job go to masochist websites for their recruiting!!!
                  Ahem. I think sadistic comes into it rather than masochistic! Of course, I could be wrong .... Oh, maybe you're right!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

As regards being abusive or slamming down the phone to cold callers, I gave up after finding this only seemed to encourage them to come back, time and time again! It made me wonder if the call centre recruiters for this kind of job go to masochist websites for their recruiting!!!
                    Most of the calls I get now are INTERNATIONAL on the Caller Display. I'm never sure whether answering them is like replying to spam - it shows you exist - or whether they just think you're out so they'll keep ringing until they find you in.

I like Petrushka's suggestion of asking for an identity check: mother's maiden name, date of birth, memorable information... I wonder how long you could go on for before they hung up on you.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JimD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                      The most annoying ones are the ones where they start with "This is an urgent message regarding..."
                      The most annoying ones for me are those that start: 'Are you having a good day?'

'I was until you rang.'

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                        The most annoying ones for me are those that start: 'Are you having a good day?'

'I was until you rang.'

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

"Hello, is that Eine?"

"I'm not your mate. it's Mr Alpensinfonie to you."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            "Hello, is that Eine?"

"I'm not your mate. it's Mr Alpensinfonie to you."
                            Anymore Alpines?
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

My wife and I have'nt at least had another cold call from a PPI person since I said to the last one, "Listen Pal what don't you understand about I'm Not Interested", "The Not" or "The Interested"....

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                                • Nov 2010

My answer phone message says " If you are calling from Bangalore, please hang up now " It seems to work part of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X