• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

This was a ruin when I was a child:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      This was a ruin when I was a child:

It still is, but has now been completely ruined.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Lindisfarne wasn't a ruin when Lutyens converted it into a holiday home - I think it was still habitable, although essentially a fortress with accommodation. Bamburgh Castle near by was renovated & rebuilt in the 19th century. Most castles still used as homes have never been ruins, but have been continually developed & adapted. Abbeys & monasteries of course fell into disuse after the dissolution & were either sold off & converted into houses or fell into ruin (& often used as convenient sources of building material). Some, like Fountains at Studley Royal & Rievaulx at Duncombe Park, were incorporated into a classical 18th century landscape as romantic focal points.
        Which is why people like to visit ruins - romantic associations. The associations might have more to do with Hollywood films than the reality of Medieval life, but since Vanbrugh tried to persuade the Duchess of Marlborough to preserve, or at least mark the site of, the ruins of Woodstock Palace ruins have been valued & visited both because of their pictorial qualities and their associations with people or events.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Lindisfarne wasn't a ruin when Lutyens converted it into a holiday home - I think it was still habitable, although essentially a fortress with accommodation. Bamburgh Castle near by was renovated & rebuilt in the 19th century. Most castles still used as homes have never been ruins, but have been continually developed & adapted. Abbeys & monasteries of course fell into disuse after the dissolution & were either sold off & converted into houses or fell into ruin (& often used as convenient sources of building material). Some, like Fountains at Studley Royal & Rievaulx at Duncombe Park, were incorporated into a classical 18th century landscape as romantic focal points.
          Which is why people like to visit ruins - romantic associations. The associations might have more to do with Hollywood films than the reality of Medieval life, but since Vanbrugh tried to persuade the Duchess of Marlborough to preserve, or at least mark the site of, the ruins of Woodstock Palace ruins have been valued & visited both because of their pictorial qualities and their associations with people or events.
          I've been to Bamburgh Castle a few times over the years,it's my favourite.
          To me it almost seems as if it's grown out of the ground rather than been built.
          Not my photos,I haven't any as good as these.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
            It still is, but has now been completely ruined.
            I think it's okay - if it hadn't been restored it would all have completely collapsed by now and the stones would have ended up being taken to mend garden walls.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I agree that Bamburgh is superbly romantic. The keep is Norman, but the rest is, I believe, largely 19th century.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                Corfe Castle, Dorset

Shall I get my paints out and finish restoring it?

HS
                That's the privilege of the painter - they can paint what they believe should be there, not what is actually there

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                  • Dec 2010

You could always build your own...

Comment

Working...
                  X