• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Castles and abbeys

Is it part of being British that makes so many people flock to see ruined castles and abbeys? I was brought up on visits to Caernarfon, Harlech and Peverill Castles, all of which were in different states of dillapidation. They were frozen in time, frozen in a particular era in history. When I lived in Scarborough, it was interesting to see the renovations taking place at the castle on the headland. But they were not restoring it to its original grandeur - just making sure it was in the same state as it had been a few years earlier.

Castles that are intact are kept that way - e.g. Lindisfarne. But if someone wanted to rebuild a ruined castle, there would probably be an outcry: "save our ruins". To me this doesn't make sense.

But then, I've never been a HIPPster.
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Castles that are intact are kept that way - e.g. Lindisfarne. But if someone wanted to rebuild a ruined castle, there would probably be an outcry: "save our ruins". To me this doesn't make sense.

Yeah but.... If the call went out to rebuild a ruined castle, they'd probably stick a monstrosity like the gherkin on top of the remains.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

You know that isn't true. .

But I rathernlike the Gherkin. It has a pleasing shape, unlike the other modern tall buildings in London.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Anyone watch last Sunday's Countryfile programme, where they showed this castle in Kent? Looks beautiful and up for sale for £2million!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

I don't know what state Lindisfarne was in when Lutyens found it. wikipedia says it was "much altered" by him. I suppose that might just mean made habitable.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            I don't know what state Lindisfarne was in when Lutyens found it. wikipedia says it was "much altered" by him. I suppose that might just mean made habitable.
            Caernarfon Castle was never completed. I would very much like to see it finished.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Two castles of interest near here are Chartley and Tutbury. Both ruins, it is true, but both built on a truly commanding position. Tutbury, in particular, has a colourful history (Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned there for a while) as has the village itself. I see the castle every day from the railway line.

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

We went to Orford Castle recently. It is not extensive but is well preserved and has a fascinating history - guide book is worth getting. Great view of the Suffolk coast from the roof. + lovely parish church close by with Britten associations and a ruined Norman chancel. Also excellent reasonably priced fish restaurant and fish smokery.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

You know that isn't true. .

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

I'm not quite sure what we're saying

As I understand it Lutyens repaired/renovated/restored Lindisfarne Castle to make it a habitable (holiday ?) home for a wealthy businessman

What would be the purpose of restoring, let's say, Tintern Abbey, to its original state at enormous cost ? Is there a sudden need for a working Abbey in that part (or any part) of the country ? or would a restored Tintern Abbey be put to some other use, say, a rather grand Tesco's ?
                    Last edited by mercia; 05-11-13, 07:58.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

The point is: it would be a fake.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                        Late Member
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        The point is: it would be a fake.
                        Corfe Castle, Dorset

Shall I get my paints out and finish restoring it?

HS

Comment

• Historian
                          • Aug 2012

Sometimes they give an award to a rebuilt castle, as shown by the recent winner of the Stirling Prize.

Comment

• decantor
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            .....or would a restored Tintern Abbey be put to some other use, say, a rather grand Tesco's ?
                            Nothing new under the sun ---

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

"Tintern Abbey"? Is that Ms Clancy doing an apprenticeship in Yorkshire?
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X