the curse of the Gothic Symphony (Brian)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Wright
    • Mar 2007

the curse of the Gothic Symphony (Brian)

(on Sky Arts 2.....NOW! )

8pm Wednesday, or you can set to record at 3.00am Thursday
    - - -

John W
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Don't have Sky Arts 2 - can we have a synopsis sometime?

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

What is the curse - anybody who conducts it dies?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        Not quite. Anybody who listens to it wishes they could die. ( Stood through it at the Proms )

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          ( Stood through it at the Proms )
          Would that be what's called 'cruel & unusual punishment' then?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Would that be what's called 'cruel & unusual punishment' then?
            I used to know some Goths in Peckham once - they would have known.

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Well, Flossie. I wrote to the BBC to complain after attending BBC performance of the non-choral movements of the Gothic conducted by Sir Charles Groves at the Royal Albert Hall. That was subsequent to Sir Adrian Boult's first professional performance at the RAH that I also attended.

My complaint: that the performance had lost its way, had nearly come to a halt, and had been robbed of all of its impact. I probably used stronger terms such as a travesty...

I had a charming letter back from Robert Simpson to say that Charles had carried on with the performance despite suffering a heart attack.

Sir Charles recovered but I don't think he conducted the accursed work thereafter.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

See also, http://www.therestisnoise.com/2012/0...e-gothic-.html

It seems to be about the Brisbane performance, which had quite horrendous intonation problems in the choruses. I have an mp3 of it but usually* find it too painful to listen to. The Brabbins at the Proms was much better, despite the mess the original recording engineers made of the dynamic range. The Hyperion engineers rescued what they could and thus made the CD issue worth getting.

* Today I am finding I can listen through the microtonal aspects of the performance.
                Last edited by Bryn; 01-11-13, 16:40.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                  I had a charming letter back from Robert Simpson to say that Charles had carried on with the performance despite suffering a heart attack.
                  He had a heart attack during the performance, & still carried on? That's what I call real dedication !

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I have been reminded that decent data rate mp3s of the Curro (Brisbane) performance featured in the film are available via a link in a similarly titled thread to this one, over at r3ok.com. The orchestral contribution is pretty good, on the whole. The problem I find is mainly with the choral intonation (though a similar problem does also apply to some members of the orchestra, it must be admitted). Interesting interpretation, however. I find the separation of Parts 1 and 2 (with a modified repetition of the linking chord) puzzling. Anyone here able to throw some light on the matter?

Comment

• John Wright
                      • Mar 2007

The TV programme was on again this morning so I watched much of it. Enjoyed the enthusiasm of the Brian Society and the Australian musicians, smiled at the early choir rehearsals and the conductor pulling his hair out.

At the end we saw/heard about 15 mins of the performance, a good-sized audience in a very good looking venue, and it sounded might impressive, both the performance and the piece of music (unheard to me), makes me want to hear more.
                      - - -

John W

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
                        The TV programme was on again this morning so I watched much of it. Enjoyed the enthusiasm of the Brian Society and the Australian musicians, smiled at the early choir rehearsals and the conductor pulling his hair out.

At the end we saw/heard about 15 mins of the performance, a good-sized audience in a very good looking venue, and it sounded might impressive, both the performance and the piece of music (unheard to me), makes me want to hear more.
                        If you have a couple of hours to spare John it's well worth the effort (only IMO),and it's all here http://wiltshire.naxosmusiclibrary.c...id=8.557418-19

Comment

Working...
                        X