The Eight Composers you couldn't Live Without. 8 only, no additions,no other rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Just catching up with the posts after a day with family.

According to the BBCMM Dame Ethel Smyth is Composer of the Week from 4th November.

Were any women composers chosen? Not even Hilda Tablet ?

I have

Eliane Radigue

(but definitely NOT Ethel Smyth ........ Though I'm performing a Hildegard Westerkamp piece today and Meredith Monk , Ellen Fullman and Pauline Oliveros would be in my next 8 )

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      I have

Eliane Radigue

(but definitely NOT Ethel Smyth ........ Though I'm performing a Hildegard Westerkamp piece today and Meredith Monk , Ellen Fullman and Pauline Oliveros would be in my next 8 )

I've quite liked the bits of DES I have heard on R3 so I am looking forward to COTW.....

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Am I the only one to remember the wonderful Third Programme spoof about Dame Hilda Tablet and her great opera 'Emily Butter'?

The sort of programme I still miss.

Comment

• Demetrius
          • Sep 2011

According to the BBCMM Dame Ethel Smyth is Composer of the Week from 4th November.

though she doesn't quite make the top 8 with me having heard only her mass. As for woman composers, Louise Farrenc and Elizabeth Maconchy would join her in a top 20 or 30 list.

Top 8, roughly in order of preference:
          Elgar
          Beethoven
          Shostakovich
          Rubbra
          Schubert
          Cipriani Potter
          Kalliwoda
          Bruckner

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            I've quite liked the bits of DES I have heard on R3 so I am looking forward to COTW.....
            Me too.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I'd put Barbara Strozzi in a top 20 or 30 list, mand Hildegarde of Bingen in a rather shorter one - I see she's featured in one or two of the other lists.

Am I the only one to remember the wonderful Third Programme spoof about Dame Hilda Tablet and her great opera 'Emily Butter'?
              No you aren't - but I think I was too young to understand. I'd love to hear the programmes again.

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                I'd put Barbara Strozzi in a top 20 or 30 list, mand Hildegarde of Bingen in a rather shorter one - I see she's featured in one or two of the other lists.

No you aren't - but I think I was too young to understand. I'd love to hear the programmes again.
                So would I jean. There was something about it on the old boards a year or two ago but I can't find it.I think it was written by Henry {?] Reed and had awonderful cast.

From the recesses of what I call my memory, there were episodes called...

Not a drum was heard
                A hedge backwards
                The private life of Hilda Tablet
                Emily Butter

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

Hilda Tablet
                  The second of Henry Reed's radio features about novelist Richard Shewin and composeress Hilda Tablet. Henry Reed wrote in the Radio Times of 24th May 1954: "...

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Wasn't Emily Butter originally going to be called Milly Mudd? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      I'd heard of HT before but never bothered finding out anything about it; but this is wonderful - and completely overturns my abiding impression of the BBC and especially Radio 3's forerunner being a stuffy hidebound stiff-upper-lip sort of a place in the 1950s. Whoever sponsored this series was enlightened, and I'm in no doubt that the kind of satire of manners portrayed must have paved the way for that of Beyond the Fringe, TW3 and the Footlights revue. The later Hinge and Bracket is clumsy and high camp by comparison.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Whoever sponsored this series was enlightened, and I'm in no doubt that the kind of satire of manners portrayed must have paved the way for that of Beyond the Fringe, TW3 and the Footlights revue.
                        From the days when the Third Programme could parody itself (unlike today where R3 has become a parody of itself - and wouldn't be able to tell the difference if its life depended on it.)

The later Hinge and Bracket is clumsy and high camp by comparison.
                        No need for the last two words IMO, S_A.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I'd heard of HT before but never bothered finding out
                          anything about it; but this is wonderful - and completely overturns my abiding impression of the BBC and especially Radio 3's forerunner being a stuffy hidebound stiff-upper-lip sort of a place in the 1950s. Whoever sponsored this series was enlightened, and I'm in no doubt that the kind of satire of manners portrayed must have paved the way for that of Beyond the Fringe, TW3 and the Footlights revue.

I was in my early 20s and working in music and word soon got around about the series,beautifully
                          cast and performed with the sort of style that came later as you say.

Surely there must be tapes somewhere in the Beeb basement.

The point was there was no playing to an audience, canned laughter or gimmicks. It was so well done it's never been bettered IMHO.
                          Last edited by salymap; 21-10-13, 04:32.

Comment

• Anna

I'd heard of HT before but never bothered finding out anything about it; but this is wonderful - and completely overturns my abiding impression of the BBC and especially Radio 3's forerunner being a stuffy hidebound stiff-upper-lip sort of a place in the 1950s. Whoever sponsored this series was enlightened, and I'm in no doubt that the kind of satire of manners portrayed must have paved the way for that of Beyond the Fringe, TW3 and the Footlights revue

Comment

• alycidon
                              • Feb 2013

Bach
                              Brahms
                              Beethoven
                              Schumann
                              Mozart
                              Elgar
                              Finzi
                              Mendelssohn

I'm nothing, if not predictable!
                              Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                                Bach
                                Brahms
                                Beethoven
                                Schumann
                                Mozart
                                Elgar
                                Finzi