X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

It's rude to point, I know, but ...

... if I can just point to my listing at the Tourist Office for my statues walk coming up next Sunday for those that might be seeking distraction:

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Good luck SHB - you wouldn't want me along, I tell you...

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

On the subject of pointing, animal behaviourists have recently discovered that elephants are the only known creatures to understand what is meant by the human pointing gesture. I realise this is hugely irrelevant to your post! Hope it goes well on Sunday. (If only I were not due to be waving a stick on a podium 150 miles away, I'd join in.)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Next time your cat is watching a spider closely, try pointing at it - put your finger right next to the spider and follow it as it moves... see what happens then, and use the gesture somewhere else...

sorry - this was a free association test...?

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
          • Nov 2010

I really I'm not sure how to digest the advice proffered so far.

This is a walk I have done previously. In various forms, four or five times, I suppose - the first occasion being in 2004, but I'm enlivened as I conduct my revision to see how the various stories come alive in me again. In part, that is due to how events today always have a relevance to the past.

For example, the symbolism of the Lutyen's Cenotaph (trans. empty tomb) and the notion that there will always be a resting place till the trenches has yielded up their last. A sad harvest that continues to this day. While there's the very intriguing story of HRH Prince George who, despite having produced three heirs, the title expired on his demise. Oh, and my potentially confrontational recommendation for the relocation of Field Marshall Earl Alexander Haig to A N Other place, and my just suggestion as for who should take his place.

Btw, to those who are able to join me, come up and say hello. I'd be delighted to put some names to faces on here!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            On the subject of pointing, animal behaviourists have recently discovered that elephants are the only known creatures to understand what is meant by the human pointing gesture.
            Is this perhaps wild animals?? Our current dog is fast learning what it means when I point to an area of floor where I've just dropped some food that I want her to hoover up, and I'm sure she's not the first of our domestic dogs to do so!

EDITS 1) Current dog, like her predecessor, is a Border Collie cross. Collies are perhaps likely to be particularly tuned in to owners' signals, as per 'One Man and his Dog'. 2) Mrs LMP tells me that when walking current dog off-lead down narrow Cornish lanes she can point to a place at the roadside when a car approaches, and the dog will go there and sit. 3) Previous dog would understand that a point towards the studio across our garden meant that that was where Mrs LMP was heading to work, and dog would go ahead to the door ready to be let in.
            Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 15-10-13, 20:49.
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Next time your cat is watching a spider closely, try pointing at it - put your finger right next to the spider and follow it as it moves... see what happens then, and use the gesture somewhere else...

sorry - this was a free association test...?
              well i shouldn't have to wait long to try that out.......
              Unless The Faces Greatest hits gets rid of the little 8 leggers unexpectedly.....
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
              X