Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Makropolous, apologies for not responding sooner but I've been away and don't trust my phone sufficiently to do a reply!

Very many thanks for the full and detailed reply to my question which goes some way in answering something that has intrigued me for years. I hope that after all the effort you have put into it that the book is a resounding success. As one who met Bernstein just the once (after a 1985 Barbican Mahler 9) you can take it for granted that I will be purchasing the book.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Good review in yesterday's Sunday Times - "...this authoritative collection, minutely edited by English musicologist...."

Comment

• Hitch
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        As an aside, I wish people were less inclined to save a few pounds by buying online - many bookshops have reductions too. £25 is very reasonable anyway.
        Have you tried the Hive network of local bookshops? The idea is that you order online and collect the book from a nearby bookshop, thus saving on postage and giving a high street business a slice of the proceeds.

"The Leonard Bernstein Letters" is currently on sale for £15.56 via Hive.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
          Have you tried the Hive network of local bookshops? The idea is that you order online and collect the book from a nearby bookshop, thus saving on postage and giving a high street business a slice of the proceeds.

"The Leonard Bernstein Letters" is currently on sale for £15.56 via Hive.
          That's an incredibly good price –it's almost £2.00 less than I pay for copies with the author discount from the publisher! It really does make sense to support local bookshops when they're making that kind of effort.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Makropulos - what a fantastic, fantastically detailed and informative response you have given here about this! Congratulations on your work on it and very best wishes for the success that it clearly deserves and will surely enjoy!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I was very excited to stumble across a generous display of the book in the Oxford Waterstone's today - somewhat earlier than I had expected. I am looking forward to reading it in the coming weeks.

(Having re-read what I have written, I should perhaps add that I bought the book.)
              Last edited by Guest; 21-10-13, 16:20.

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Makropulos - what a fantastic, fantastically detailed and informative response you have given here about this! Congratulations on your work on it and very best wishes for the success that it clearly deserves and will surely enjoy!
                Wow - thanks so much. I do hope you enjoy the book after all that rambling of mine above!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Music Matters tomorrow 1215

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    I would say that music ALWAYS matters.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Thanks for the information that the Bernstein Letters were being discussed in this programme. It was an informative introduction; certainly good to hear makropulus in person. It was also wonderful to hear the mellifluous voice of Edward Seckerson again; what a loss to R3 it was when he fell out of favour.

Incidentally I was struck by what a good programme Music Matters was. It almost reminded me of the Julian Herbage/Anna Instone Sunday morning programmes from many decades ago. I always assume that this sort of programme is not worth tuning in for and expect the usual 21st century R3 trivia. Perhaps I should try it again. Hasn't Petroc Trelawny improved too? I still think of him as a Classic FM 'reject', but there is increasing stature to his broadcasting. His frequent television stints as a newspaper reviewer show that he's got a broad range of interests too.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

First, my thanks and congratulations to makropulos for his skill in editing the 600+compulsive page-turning tome which also has quite the best front cover portrait of Leonard Bernstein and a set of delightful graphics on the opening and closing sections.

Such a canny collection, too. I've now reached the 200 page mark most impressed by the editor's sense of dimension in the contributions of, say, Serge Koussevitsky, Aaron Copland, David Oppenheim, who gell and develop so well over LB's Harvard and Curtis Institute years and Bernstein's clear-eyed vision of his future. Where I wanted to know more, I cross referred to Humphrey Burton's 1995 biography of LB but gradually wanting even further supplements and perspective was quickly surrounded by Mainly on Directing (Gypsy, West Side Story), Arthur Laurents (2009), Working with Bernstein, Jack Gottlieb
                        (2010) and Somewhere (The Life of Jerome Robbins), Amanda Vaill, (2007). Powerful and intense personalities who stimulate further interest in the multi -talented, egocentric genius we also know as Lenny.

Also making headway with the LB Symphony Edition CD boxset to renew aural acquaintance and, with a revival of "Candide" at the Menier Theatre imminent, I had a shufti at an off-air video, now on DVD, of the Scottish Opera production (Jonathan Miller/John Wells), taped at Glasgow's Theatre Royal in Oct 1988, before transferring to the Old Vic. LB was in the audience, accompanied by his sister, Shirley, and this reminded me that it was probably a year later when I saw LB for the last time conducting a concert version of "On the Town" at the Barbican with a cast which included Adolph Green & Betty Comden who both feature in the LB Letters.

Latched on at the end of the Scottish Opera DVD, there was room for a birthday Tribute to Lenny where Lauren Bacall delivered a delicious parody of Kurt Weill's Jenny, ("Lady in the Dark") adapted for LB. "Lenny made his mind up when he was three..." Finally, LB made his way to the platform to express gratitude for the tribute. He proceeded to mouth silently, indicating that the sound system had failed and much preferred to wipe away the tears, hug and embrace the assembled cast. OTT as only he knew how!

So, on with the motley, much intrigued and appreciative and a joy to engage with my own past in so many ways!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

An odd view of Bernstein in this review of the book:

This cleverly edited collection of letters reveals an attractive and energetic man. But Bernstein now has a mixed musical reputation – even if West Side Story will live forever. Philip Hensher

Perhaps younger generations do not value him as highly as those of us who experienced him, in his many roles, during his lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                          X