X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Taking the historical dates of King Herod into account, the millennium was probably nearer to 1995, not 2000, and certainly not 2001.

IT'S NOT A THEREMIN ON "GOOD VIBRATIONS"

What happens when your building is built on a slope ?
    The Ground floor on one side is the first on the other ?

The ROH backstage lifts have an interesting set of buttons
    every floor is named relative to the stage
    so S+1. S-2 etc

BUT

Why (as suggested in the first post) do people suggest that somehow having floors named relative to the ground is "Wrong" as opposed to "different" ?

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

What happens when your building is built on a slope ?
      The Ground floor on one side is the first on the other ?
      I lived in a semi-detached house like that. The ground sloped from front to back, and also right to left. The front doors were at ground level. There were doors on the side walls. Our neighbour's was at ground level and there were three or four steps up to ours. To stop the house falling down (well, that's what I thought as a child) the builder had cleverly added a basement at the back. This had a door to the back garden, vast amounts of storage space, a coal cellar, and a room with a french window which my sister and I used as a playroom. There was an internal staircase to the ground floor, beneath the staircase to the first floor.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        Well yes, I agree. If, that is, you're following Matthew (Three Wise Men, Massacre of the Innocents, Flight Into Egypt) because Herod died in about 6 BCE. Not so if you're following Luke (No Room at the Inn, Shepherds in the Fields) because Quirinius (who ordered the census) did not take up his post until about 6 CE - ten years later than the date suggested by Matthew. (There's nothing in Matthew about Mary and Joseph having to go to Bethlehem because of a census, since they live there anyway. And Jesus is not born in a stable, but in his parents' house.)
        Calculation of the Millennium on the Quirinius model is less complex, not having to take account of the non-existant 0 BC and 0 AD

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Calculation of the Millennium on the Quirinius model is less complex, not having to take account of the non-existant 0 BC and 0 AD

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

...what's in a name eh? ..............
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
            X