X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... or Hébertists. The late, great, Richard Cobb * was the authority on them : after his years of research he found them a pretty unpleasant lot **....

* https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...b-1324236.html

** "Ideologically, their violent, anti-intellectual, and ultra-populist views centered chiefly on what historian Simon Schama describes as "an anarchic notion of popular government, always armed to impose the will of the people on its mandatories," and took the form of support for "unrelenting surveillance, denunciation, indictment, humiliation, and death."

My memory of Cobb of is of a drunk, bigot, bore and self satisfied cheerleader for apartheid and Mdme.Thatcher. As the very fine and late Welsh historian of radical European popular movements, G.Alf Williams used to loudly lecture...Before you read the bloody history, read the bloody historian.

And...humilation and death? Far too good for the BBC.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Personally, I should like to see our friend, aeolium, on the shortlist of candidates as the next director-general of the BBC.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Personally, I should like to see our friend, aeolium, on the shortlist of candidates as the next director-general of the BBC.

Just an armchair critic moi, EA (and a refugee from the hated corporate world...)

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post

Just an armchair critic moi, EA (and a refugee from the hated corporate world...)
          looking good so far ......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
          X