Should concert goers support the desire for authenticity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Should concert goers support the desire for authenticity ?

Plans to relocate the world's oldest surviving skate spot to a new site are debated by Adam Spensley and Richard Holland
  • amateur51

I'll be very sorry to see it go, and especially if it is replaced by yet more shops offering over-priced food and drink in the area. Watching the skateboarding activities always cheers me up, offering as it does an insight into dedication, creativity, athleticism, competitiveness and companionship, co-operation, good humour, imagination and many other positive things about the anarchic side of being young.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      I'll be very sorry to see it go, and especially if it is replaced by yet more shops offering over-priced food and drink in the area. Watching the skateboarding activities always cheers me up, offering as it does an insight into dedication, creativity, athleticism, competitiveness and companionship, co-operation, good humour, imagination and many other positive things about the anarchic side of being young.
      It offers me an insight into skateboarding. I don't know where you get all that other guff from.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

I went to a presentation of the South Bank Centre plans a few months ago and was unconvinced. The glass box which will sit on top of the existing complex will be higher than the Royal Festival Hall next door. Quite how successfully musicians will rehearse in a greenhouse under the eyes of passers by was not explained. It would seem that the gloomy cavern which is now the Queen Elizabeth Hall will be largely unchanged as far as the auditorium is concerned, apart from improved access.

As usual at these affairs, the visual presentation used photos and models shown from the perspective of a passing cormorant., which always gives a false impression of the finished result. As an example,the new entrance to the complex will be facing the side of the Festival Hall with a broad flight of steps into the new building from a wide piazza. In fact the distance between the two buildings is only about 50 feet, about half the space implied by the presentation.

There were questions from the floor which were largely batted aside. It's fairly obvious that the decision is already fixed, and any objections deemed to be trivial.

After the huge cost of the Festival Hall rebuild, which has produced modest results, I'm not impressed by the current plans and there are plenty of shops and restaurants already in the area. Local residents are aghast at the way in which their outlook will be spoiled.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Shame if it goes. I hope the kids resist it. If the kids are united, they'll never be divided. What I'm saying is the kids should stick together and protest. They're angels with dirty faces and they are our future.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Shame if it goes. I hope the kids resist it. If the kids are united, they'll never be divided. What I'm saying is the kids should stick together and protest. They're angels with dirty faces and they are our future.
            It's a Sham and you know it

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              It's a Sham and you know it
              C'mon, c'mon, hurry up Gong Gong come on......

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                lets hope any costs come out of the public pursey.

Its all Questions and Answers at this stage.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Ooh, very quick ts

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Its all Questions and Answers at this stage.

Oi aside
                    I do think it would be a sad development......... even though some of the new facilities would be great

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Oi aside
                      I do think it would be a sad development......... even though some of the new facilities would be great
                      Totally agree.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                        It offers me an insight into skateboarding. I don't know where you get all that other guff from.
                        wha'ever

Comment

Working...
                        X