"I can't do this job without a little grass" - N Kennedy Esq.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

"I can't do this job without a little grass" - N Kennedy Esq.

What do we think?

I've never had any problem relaxing plus have a sense (old fashioned?) that it rots the brain, so have never been interested, quite apart from the 'legality' issues. I recall that in our first week at University, one of the law fellows said that as budding lawyers, one reason to stay clear of drugs was that like it or not, acquiring it involved contact with an illegal network and that's a bad idea for anyone let alone lawyers. That advice stuck with me.

However, it does seem these days to be more acceptable to smoke grass than it is to smoke tobacco or neck a few stiff whiskies...

I wonder if the views here are as polarised as on other "issues"....

(With apologies in advance to ff if this gets nasty )
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 03-09-13, 14:35. Reason: Clarifying ambiguity
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Classical musicians, as with other performers, endure a huge amount of stress. The only thing which would surprise me is if they didn't all resort to certain substances for purposes of relaxation.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I knew of quite a few musicians who, if conductors or soloists had a glass of something waiting in their rooms for the interval but like you Cali drugs seem OTT - but what do I know?

The pop world is different,of course. Rots the brain,I understand.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Hasn't Alan Titchmarsh said more or less the same thing?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Some contributors might be quite surprised at how common indulging in "a little grass" is among musicians of all stylistic persuasions. Personally I'm in favour of it, compared to dangerous habit-forming substances like tobacco and alcohol. Of course that may just be the brain-rot talking.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
            • Nov 2010

My dad would have a large vodka in his dressing room while he was applying his make-up prior to the evening's performance. Only the one and definitely no more. It was just to loosen up the mind a little.

Personally, I think it is appalling that 'grass' is not completely decriminalised. Its use is now so prevalent and the money spent on tracking down dealers and the operators of marijuana factories would be far better spent on education programmes, particularly amongst the young, informing users about the consequences of its use because it is not the benign substance that is often presented. Several members of my family are regular users and it has a distinct effect on their temperaments, in my opinion.

Back to the world of musicians, my brother, who worked in a big London studio in the 70s, was once approached to procure some grass for a major Hollywood composer/conductor. That was an unexpected shot in the dark, if you get my meaning.

Oh, and long before the Beatles were said to have had a puff in the toilets of Buck House prior to an investiture, there was Louis Armstrong, a life-long user who was smoking it in the Vatican before having an audience with the Pope.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

One conductor had a largejug of his special orange juice ready in his dressing room. There was a slight panic one day when a glassful was poured for a small child.

It was liberally dosed with vodka. The child survived as someone took it away from him.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

this refers to reefers

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  One conductor had a largejug of his special orange juice ready in his dressing room. There was a slight panic one day when a glassful was poured for a small child.

It was liberally dosed with vodka. The child survived as someone took it away from him.
                  Lovely, saly... Seems straight out of an Ealing comedy. I can just hear Terry-Thomas in white tie and tails demanding a glass of his "joooce" (with a slight whistle through his front teeth)....

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    What do we think?

I've never had any problem relaxing plus have a sense (old fashioned?) that it rots the brain, so have never been interested, quite apart from the 'legality' issues. I recall that in our first week at University, one of the law fellows said that as budding lawyers, one reason to stay clear of drugs was that like it or not, acquiring it involved contact with an illegal network and that's a bad idea for anyone let alone lawyers. That advice stuck with me.

However, it does seem these days to be more acceptable to smoke grass than it is to smoke tobacco or neck a few stiff whiskies...

I wonder if the views here are as polarised as on other "issues"....

(With apologies in advance to ff if this gets nasty )
                    I think you put the case for me as well, Caliban.

I would add a bit of hyprocisy on my part, because I am a smoker (reformed since last October), and I don't say no to a drink. I was addicted to tobacco, but fortunately not to alcohol.

Richard considers grass non-addictive, but that would not persuade me to have a go - I would fear that I would be addicted - Nigel does say that he can't do without it.
                    When I started smoking there was no big health issue surrounding it - many people did it. I would worry that as time goes by the side effects of grass will prove alarming, but that if that does happen, like tobacco smokers found, it will be too late to stop easily.Giving up is hard to do.

And of course it is illegal.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Edit facility not working for me.
                      I should have said 'grass' is illegal - not 'giving up'.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        I knew of quite a few musicians who, if conductors or soloists had a glass of something waiting in their rooms for the interval but like you Cali drugs seem OTT - but what do I know?

The pop world is different,of course. Rots the brain,I understand.
                        Ethanol is a drug, and a pretty addictive one. It certainly is held to "rot the brain", and the liver too.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

My reference to 'rotting the brain' was unduly flip, I think. The links between cannabis 'use' and mental health do give increasing pause for thought; see e.g. this from the Royal College of Psychiatrists

and their comment that "Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents."

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

when I saw NK doing his four seasons/Hendrix show, he was spectacularly stoned, IMO. We commented at the time.
                            He was also extremely late on stage, and drew the Hendrix stuff out far too long.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Incidentally, impartial, REALLY impartial info on all kinds of legal and illegal substances/drugs, is quite hard to come by.

Money talks, and it talks VERY loudly in the Pharmaceutical world.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X