• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

TP McKenna RIP

I'm sorry, SHB, to have missed your post announcing your father's passing. For a member of his family, it might seem appropriate that the death of his father should be buried under the title Stormy Weather but not all of us follow that thread faithfully. I've only just read the obit. in today's Guardian. Condolences - and please continue with your wonderful work archiving your father's career.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

FF, you're so very kind. We're overwhelmed by the response to TP's passing with obits in the Times, the DT, the Independent and the Guardian.

As it is, many people won't have a clue who this man with a name like a wigwam was (Willie Rushton used to call him 'TCP' McKenna!). So, please if I may, let me link to a couple of clips:

CALLAN:

Lovely scene with three excellent actors ... Geoffrey Chater, William Squire and Clifford Rose.

TP McKenna in Callan: The Colour YearRIP a screen legend

INSPECTOR MORSE - THE REMORSEFUL DAY (from 3.20 on)

Morse interviews his last ever suspect. This was TP's third screen appearance with John Thaw, whom he knew of old, the previous occasions having been a Sweeney and a Kavangh QC.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

THE DUCHESS OF MALFI (from 6.50)

John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi" is a chilling tale of jealousy, madness, and murder. After the death of her first husband, a young and wealthy Duchess ...

Thanking all for their interest,

SHB, aka. Stephen

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

It looks as if TP's last performance in Drama on 3 was in 2008, with the Pat McCabe play All the Colours of Love. His name was synonymous with Irish drama for so many decades it was good to see the excerpt from the Duchess of Malfi showing his classic credentials too.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

I'm very pleased you mentioned that, French Frank, as hardly anyone at all has mentioned his radio work. Perhaps that's partly my fault as there's a lack of recorded material at present to make a decent feature on the website, however Radio 4's Last Word have just obitted hin and they never mentioned the radio either. Funny lot!

Comment

• PatrickOD

I regret that I too have just learned of the passing of TP McKenna. I'm sorry for your trouble Shb.

Comment

• Frances_iom
            • Mar 2007

he is on continual display at a key Manx Heritage site (House of Mannanan at Peel) - he is portrayed as Mannanan (god of Irish sea) in many exhibits in this heritage interpretation 'museum' (what does one call something that has few if any genuine artifacts - however a good into to Manx history)

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

It was the worst of times, the best of times. Anyway, we buried TP at the weekend in his native Cavan in Ireland. For those that might be interested there's a wonderful piece in the Irish Times. I also link to a photograph of the lovely corner of his native county in which he now rests.

IRISH TIMES / Eileen Battersby

FINAL RESTING PLACE (PICTURE)

Teampall Cheallaigh on the shores of Mullagh Lake TP was laid to rest on Saturday 26th February 2011 close by the still waters of Mulla...

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Shb. I'm sure it was a touching occasion for you all. It looks a wonderfully peaceful place too: I'm thinking of moving there ...

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>there's a wonderful piece in the Irish Times

Indeed, yes.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Isee there is to be a Memorial Service in London later. I don't know whether details have been announced yet.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                      • Nov 2010

Hello Salymap,

We are hoping to have a memorial service in May or June. Right now, I'm contemplating the task of responding to the many expressions of sympathy.

This included flowers from the Finchley Labour Party where TP had lived and vocally opposed local MP Margaret Thatcher since 1972.

Any opportunity he had, any media interview, he was always happy to avow himself as a member of the Labour Party. However, despite a good friendship with Michael Foot and an acquaintance with Neil Kinnock, he was hardly ever an active member of the party. I once suggested that a more accurate description might have been ... Lifelong member of the Labour Party (Armchair Division)!

Comment

• Mandryka

TP McKenna features in my DVD collection quite a lot: I particularly remember his performances as a bluff, clubbable country vet in an episode of Nigel Kneale's Beasts and his earlier appearance as a surprise villain in the final episode of Adam Adamant Lives! I'm not a Blake's 7 fan, but his one-off performance in that series could have kept him busy on the convention circuit had he so desired it!

My favourite performance by him was his rather unexpected casting as the professionally unworldly Harold Skimpole in the beeb's 1985 Bleak House. Despite wall to wall great casting, his was the performance that I remembered best!

Comment

• gamba
                          Late member
                          • Dec 2010

A most affectionate & likeable person

We have spoken before - I was the lucky person to have shared his company as a film cameraman during episodes on location of 'Dr. Findlay's Casebook. Not great drama but it provided us all with much 'fun & games' with TP largely responsible for keeping it going.

A great loss but I for one have memories I shall cherish.

gamba

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Returned home from an evening out to find Straw Dogs on Channel 4 - by God but TP could wow the camera! He's just walked into a pub and you can't take your eyes off him, despite luminaries like Peter Vaughan acting their socks off around wearing various species of false whiskers

Total class from Mr McKenna
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                            X