Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    There's one near here which says 'Slow - Pupils Crossing' which does indeed make it hard to see things clearly.

Comment

• prokkyshosty

My favorite dumb American story, probably apocryphal, but surely one that would've given even Oscar Wilde a chuckle... supposedly, when Pizza Hut first entered the UK market they ran a promotion with signs that read "Buy a Large Pizza And We'll Toss In Your Salad For Free!"

Comment

• Panjandrum

I knew a Californian who used to crack up whenever they saw the sign, "Way Out".

Comment

• Purposebuilt

This thread is totally off topic, thanks to the trolls that police BBC forums.
          It is obvious to anyone who listens to BBC output that, at some level, a decision has been taken to increase the input of a foreign power, one with obvious imperial aims. In a just world an enquiry would be instituted to see how this has come about at the BBC.

Maybe another thread should be started on whether ordinary Americans are nice people or not. Duh....

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Well, whatever, it is certainly way, way off topic from how it started, and devolved rather uncomfortably into a series of fairly xenophobic snipes. Not quite what was intended at the start.

Sigh.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Purposebuilt View Post
              This thread is totally off topic, thanks to the trolls that police BBC forums.
              Trolls 'police' this forum too, even though it's not a BBC one, and they feel once an individual opinion has been honestly raised and expressed it doesn't need to be repeated ad nauseam. This thread has developed in a way that I hope reflects this forum: friendly and, most of the time , in a good spirit.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

North Atlantic Drift?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Better than Transatlantic Rift!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Maclintick
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Better than Transatlantic Rift!
                    Indeed, but isn't it time you curtailed this trollfest. Not only is it off-topic, but mostly off-network since there don't seem to be many regular American contributors to Radio 3, apart from Margaret Juntwait. I agree that the situation on Radio 4 and BBC TV is rather different, in that they do seem to think we're all obsessed with the latest gossip on Mitt Romney, or whoever. Incidentally, I did catch some of the Radio 4 Michael Sandel: Public Philosopher series at the LSE, and have to say I found it a monumentally dull listen. You probably had to be there.

Best Wishes

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                      Indeed, but isn't it time you curtailed this trollfest. Not only is it off-topic, but mostly off-network
                      Quite right. I shall remove this to Platform 3, where nothing is off-topic and most topics are off-network.

Comment

• maestro267
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Quite right. I shall remove this to Platform 3, where nothing is off-topic and most topics are off-network.
                        At long last!

Comment

• Maclintick
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
                          At long last!
                          .....Oh, and of course I'd forgotten Geoffrey Smith. He's probably naturalised, anyway....or should I say "naturalized" ?

Comment

• Panjandrum

How's Audrey, Mac?

Comment

• Maclintick
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                              How's Audrey, Mac?
                              ....positively suicidal !

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post