X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I have two separate groups of American relatives. My mother's sister married an American in 1919 and I have many first and second cousins from that union. More recently another young relative moved to Greenwich,CT and her children are already little US citizens.
    I appreciate all the posts but surely more unites us than divides us. Language difficulties are usually sorted, with a laugh in our case, but don't ask a visitor for a rubber when you really mean eraser
    Last edited by salymap; 19-04-12, 08:32.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The biography of a remarkable American, also my great grandfather. My 9x great grandfather emigrated to Massachusetts from Dorset in 1634 and founded a dynasty there.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        [...] Language difficulties are usually sorted, with a laugh in our case, but don't ask a visitor for a rubber when you really mean eraser....
        ... or, as I once did, say loudly to a British colleague in front of forty American supersexed teenagers 'I'll knock you up in the morning'.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Estelle View Post
          An American of my upbringing would be embarrassed to ask where the toilets are!
          So would I, because I consider 'toilets' a horrible genteelism. I never use the word. 'Lavatory' is the word I'd prefer to use, but that has no more to do with the primary function than 'bathroom' has. It seems euphemisms are in almost universal use.

It took me many years to realise that Americans weren't fairly represented by Disney and bad films. I was born at the beginning of WW2, and that was the image I was brought up with, because it was all we saw. Since then I've met educated Americans, so have changed my opinions. I still feel some resentment about a certain amount of cultural colonisation, but I suppose it's only fair - it's not as if the British weren't once the colonisers!

Comment

• Hornspieler

Well said, KB!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Many of our views over here are I think coloured by our perceptions of the politics, culture and religious aspects of provincial life in the States, and we wonder at it. But at the same time, so do many Americans whom one meets and happily greets, especially within the world of jazz. The impression I glean from American "experts" on radio programmes such as Womens Hour is that in most cases they bring their insights into those things that are wrong in American culture, from which, to my antennae, they often come across as intellectual refugees, offering invaluable warnings of what could be in this country, too, without our critical faculties firmly in control, unsubject to unexamined, unwarranted prejudices. I frequently feel great sympathy toward those they leave behind: it's a big country to be lost in.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Wise words, serial-apologist

Comment

• charles t
                  • Nov 2010

(Estelle Full Member, sic) 'I hope that you forgive the intrusions--mine, and those American "experts!" I find you a tolerant people, and very welcoming to visitors (as long as they return home!).'

Speaking of which...during a stay at a B&B in Bradford-on-Avon, I asked the proprietor if I could substitute from her Set In Stone breakfast menu - orange juice instead of grapefruit.

"No, because it would ruin the integrity of the breakfast."

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                    "No, because it would ruin the integrity of the breakfast."

It reminds me of a Bristol legend - Caroline's Cake Shop - which served dainty, meat-and-two-veg lunches to local shopworkers. Their NO DEVIATIONS FROM THE MENU intimidated all customers from asking..
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Many of our views over here are I think coloured by our perceptions of the politics, culture and religious aspects of provincial life in the States, and we wonder at it. But at the same time, so do many Americans whom one meets and happily greets, especially within the world of jazz. The impression I glean from American "experts" on radio programmes such as Womens Hour is that in most cases they bring their insights into those things that are wrong in American culture, from which, to my antennae, they often come across as intellectual refugees, offering invaluable warnings of what could be in this country, too, without our critical faculties firmly in control, unsubject to unexamined, unwarranted prejudices. I frequently feel great sympathy toward those they leave behind: it's a big country to be lost in.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Estelle
                        • Nov 2010

Reading in this thread your admissions of American family connections and experiences gained from travel in the U.S. is a heartwarming experience for me that effectively counteracts the occasional whiff of annoyance with Americans I read now and again. I can only raise the point that, with the exception of the 1.1 % of the population who are native American or native Pacific Islanders, we Americans all arrived here from somewhere else! For example, I am descended from Italians, Germans, and Englishmen and am married to an immigrant from Germany. No wonder our American English sounds funny!

My first visit to the U.K. occurred in July, 1976. I remember laughing at the sign "Traffic Diversion Ahead." "Where are the dancing girls and the brass band?" was my immediate reaction! (As our British visitors know, we use the term "detour.") On the Fourth of July in Eastbourne an English couple came up to our party and congratulated us on our bicentenary of the Declaration of Independence. (I was actually the only native-born American among our party.) I was enormously touched that someone would be so kind, apparently after having overheard me speak, and remember it to this day.

I appreciate your reflections above. No one with a computer and an internet connection can be very seriously lost in America (in any sense of the word)!

Comment

• prokkyshosty

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          deplaning
                          No tangent on Americans and language would be complete without George Carlin:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(apologies in advance for the NSFW four-letter ...err... Americanisms).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Estelle View Post
                            Reading in this thread your admissions of American family connections and experiences gained from travel in the U.S. is a heartwarming experience for me that effectively counteracts the occasional whiff of annoyance with Americans I read now and again. I can only raise the point that, with the exception of the 1.1 % of the population who are native American or native Pacific Islanders, we Americans all arrived here from somewhere else! For example, I am descended from Italians, Germans, and Englishmen and am married to an immigrant from Germany. No wonder our American English sounds funny!

My first visit to the U.K. occurred in July, 1976. I remember laughing at the sign "Traffic Diversion Ahead." "Where are the dancing girls and the brass band?" was my immediate reaction! (As our British visitors know, we use the term "detour.") On the Fourth of July in Eastbourne an English couple came up to our party and congratulated us on our bicentenary of the Declaration of Independence. (I was actually the only native-born American among our party.) I was enormously touched that someone would be so kind, apparently after having overheard me speak, and remember it to this day.

I appreciate your reflections above. No one with a computer and an internet connection can be very seriously lost in America (in any sense of the word)!
                            I wonder what you would have made of the roadside sign I saw some years ago here which read, "New Laid Eggs Drive Up Here"? Or the one you passed near Bawtry on the "old" A1 which read, "Slow Children Crossing"!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              I wonder what you would have made of the roadside sign I saw some years ago here which read, "New Laid Eggs Drive Up Here"? Or the one you passed near Bawtry on the "old" A1 which read, "Slow Children Crossing"!
                              There's one near here which says 'Slow - Pupils Crossing' which does indeed make it hard to see things clearly.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I saw a large sign affixed to a tree near a chalk quarry: "SLOW PLANT CROSSING".

Someone had neatly chalked "BEWARE TRIFFIDS!!" underneath

Comment

Working...
                                X