• Nov 2010

Midweek action for St Mirren I see ...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Any citeh supporters in the house?

Liverpool fans have gone quiet

Weird result on Tyneside. Whatever next, a Toons win?

'
      Last edited by Beef Oven!; 20-03-16, 21:44. Reason: I'm gonna kill my spellcheck!!!!

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Any citeh supporters in the house?

Liverpool fans have gone quiet

Weird result on Tyneside. Whatever next, a Toons win?

'
        Well done BeefO I presume you will pay Jose's golden parachute payment?

I feel if the Toon don't beat Norwich they are down .....

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Saints game well worth catching on MOTD.
          Good goals, topsy turvy game, usual strange refereeing decisions.

Bringing on big Vic and a previously out of form Mane were enough to turn the game.

Saints fans very happy tonight.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Sorry Anton, couldn't resist

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Sunday supplement

Newcastle United 1 Sunderland 1 Late equaliser after going behind right on half time,4 game losing streak ended.Beginning to look like at least one of these two will go down
              Southampton 3 Liverpool 2 Forum derby,Reds 2-0 up after 22 mins,Saints scored 3 in 22 2nd half mins.Pool's hopes of top 4 fading,Saints now 7th
              *** **** 0 Manchester United 1 The winner came on 16 mins,Reds now just 1 point off the top 4
              Tottenham 3 Bournemouth 0 Easily beaten by the team in 2nd,2-0 down after only 16 mins,should still have enough to beat the drop

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Always hard to read off from match reports and brief highlights, but.... well done Saints!
                "Never stop fighting till the fight is done" ....and you didn't. Even after a missed penalty...Very ruefully, one has to admit: that's why we love watching this game ("football, bloody hell" etc.).

The intensity over the two games with United was extreme, all around the city.... were the team just, finally, exhausted? I don't know. (Poor Christian missed crucial chances against in the FA Cup replay with West Ham too, so...is it all about moments, individuals?)
                But you shouldn't lose from 2-0 up, no - certainly not playing as Liverpool did in the first half. MotD comments about not being able to keep up the Klopp-game for the 90 just yet - may be relevant. But still, very encouraging signs over the last few weeks, especially in defence, for next season at least.

Dortmund? As the much-adored Klopp said - "the kind of story only football can write."
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-03-16, 06:12.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

I
                  Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Always hard to read off from match reports and brief highlights, but.... well done Saints!
                  "Never stop fighting till the fight is done" ....and you didn't. Even after a missed penalty...Very ruefully, one has to admit: that's why we love watching this game ("football, bloody hell" etc.).

The intensity over the two games with United was extreme, all around the city.... were the team just, finally, exhausted? I don't know. (Poor Christian missed crucial chances against in the FA Cup replay with West Ham too, so...is it all about moments, individuals?)
                  But you shouldn't lose from 2-0 up, no - certainly not playing as Liverpool did in the first half. MotD comments about not being able to keep up the Klopp-game for the 90 just yet - may be relevant. But still, very encouraging signs over the last few weeks, especially in defence, for next season at least.

Dortmund? As the much-adored Klopp said - "the kind of story only football can write."
                  I'm not sure I would draw too many conclusions from yesterdays game, from the Liverpool side. They certainly tired badly yesterday, likely down to a big Thursday night game.

oddly, Koeman's possibly mistaken team choices worked out well for him. Mane might have been badly out of form, but he really isn't the kind of guy you want running at you when he is fresh and you are tired. What Liverpool didn't cope with was the change in the midfield balance of Power when Vic came on. Playing against quality attackers is when he is at his magnificent best, and I don't think Liverpool worked out how to deal with the loss of midfield control. Joe Allen was excellent in the first half, caused us endless problems, but with tiring legs a more pragmatic approach might have paid dividends.
                  As I say, shouldn't draw too many conclusions from this, but I Saw a lot of the Liverpool we have seen over the last year or two.Quicksilver on the break and in attack, some lovely passing and a handful of exceptional players. But the defence still looks vulnerable. There was always a goal or two in this for us, even in the first half.
                  But at this level, to defend well you need a settled defence and quality protection against good quality attacking players, and when pressure is sustained.

Wanyama , for example,when he is in the mood, ( which is against the big clubs,draw your own conclusions....)

( thoughts on Coutinho welcome. Such a talented player, and I think he is starting to dominate games more, but with his talent he should be having more impact over more sustained periods of matches. Still young though,and things to learn I guess.)

edit: 3-2.
                  Reminds me of another great day for us against Liverpool in '79, when we beat a wonderful Liverpool team by that score at a sun soaked Dell. It felt like winning a cup to beat such a good side. And I remember so clearly the whole Liverpool team signing autographs with Saints fans at the Milton road end for about ten minutes, about 45 mins before kickoff .I don' t think that fits into modern scientific pre match routines !!
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 21-03-16, 12:11.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Any two from three - a difficult one to call. Toon have got the best players but maybe too late for Rafa to get them playing as a team. Norwich's result on Saturday certainly a boost, and the Black Cats may have the luck of the species and maybe Sam's wile will sneak survival. Don't think Palace will get many more points but have enough to survive and the Swans will be OK. Naturally my interest is more in who comes up to replace them! The Owls are 11 matches from the Prem and keeping the dream alive!
                    Last edited by cloughie; 21-03-16, 14:15.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

TS, are you Consortium11 in disguise?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                        TS, are you Consortium11 in disguise?
                        'fraid not, Stoatfoe. !

my boxing knowledge is limited to say the least ! ( Although there is a great book waiting to be written about the crazy human interest stories that boxing throws up, as I know from a little sports trivia writing that a did a few years ago.. )

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Just one midweek forum game

St Mirren 1 Raith Rovers 2 From 0-2 down pulled one back just before half time,play off places looking out of reach

Comment

• Bullock in D

Thanks EB for recording the rise of Hereford FC.
                            Yes, the Bulls are going to Wembley and have asked permission to take a bull along with them.
                            We will wait and see.
                            Meanwhile its a six pointer on Easter Monday vs Alvechurch away.
                            I think 9000 plus tickets gone already for Wembley?
                            Amazing....

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              Just one midweek forum game

St Mirren 1 Raith Rovers 2 From 0-2 down pulled one back just before half time,play off places looking out of reach
                              Disappointing Johnny C

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                Disappointing Johnny C
                                What was it I said about striving for mid-table mediocrity, Alison? That'll be a blessing this year. Wouldn't mind a win against Rangers before the end of the season mind you.

Comment

Working...
                                X