• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    LeMartinPecheur is spot on I feel.

Pleased to see Beefy's fair play tendencies though!
    I'm really split over who I want to win the Premiership.

Leicester would be magical for so many reasons.

Arsenal (and I say this as a Man Utd supporter) are the only club to be following a proper business model and not spending all their revenue on inflated player-wages (The Foxes have no choice). Wenger, I have come to respect as sterling manager/coach. He believes in what he does and what he does is right and best for the game.

Tottenham is my local team and was the first team I supported as a youngster (nearly everybody supported Spurs in Lower Clapton in those days).

Fair play to everyone!!!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      I'm really split over who I want to win the Premiership.

Leicester would be magical for so many reasons.

Arsenal (and I say this as a Man Utd supporter) are the only club to be following a proper business model and not spending all their revenue on inflated player-wages (The Foxes have no choice). Wenger, I have come to respect as sterling manager/coach. He believes in what he does and what he does is right and best for the game.

Tottenham is my local team and was the first team I supported as a youngster (nearly everybody supported Spurs in Lower Clapton in those days).

Fair play to everyone!!!
      I will be delighted if Leicester finish top, as it will show that the money of the big boys is not what dominates the game and that a side that not too long ago ran out of money and luck and came back from a drop to the third tier. It can be done and hopefully will again!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        I will be delighted if Leicester finish top, as it will show that the money of the big boys is not what dominates the game and that a side that not too long ago ran out of money and luck and came back from a drop to the third tier. It can be done and hopefully will again!
        I agree. But I really think that Arsenal and Wenger (not their fans) really deserve something for how they have set such an example on how to run a club, on and off the field.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          I agree. But I really think that Arsenal and Wenger (not their fans) really deserve something for how they have set such an example on how to run a club, on and off the field.
          FA Cup? Although I 'd like to see Hull progress so that they would have less energy for the Championship - OK I 'm a selfish Owl!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

River Plate

When I hear of this Argentine football club (and one similarly named in Uruguay), I wonder why it has such an English-sounding name. Why not "Río de la Plata"?

Comment

• zola
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              River Plate

When I hear of this Argentine football club (and one similarly named in Uruguay), I wonder why it has such an English-sounding name. Why not "Río de la Plata"?
              There is an explanation on the wiki page entry. But there are many cases of British evangelising of the game in the early 20th century. Hence Athletic Bilbao rather than Atletico ( playing in Sunderland kit ) I think Juventus's kit may have some connection to Newcastle too ?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post
                There is an explanation on the wiki page entry. But there are many cases of British evangelising of the game in the early 20th century. Hence Athletic Bilbao rather than Atletico ( playing in Sunderland kit ) I think Juventus's kit may have some connection to Newcastle too ?
                Thanks for that, Zola. I knew about the Athletic Club Bilbao/Atletico Bilbao saga, and how Franco made them change the name, but River Plate was a name I assumed to be one used by British football pundits - well, they would, wouldn't they? (Most of the pundits say "Athletico Madrid".)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Latest

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3 Aberdeen 1 Came back from conceding an early goal,now in the top 6
                  Hull City 0 Brighton 0 A good away point v the league leaders,just 1 point off the automatic promotion places
                  Hartlepool United 2 Notts County 3 From 0-2 down at the break,got back to 2-2 then conceded a late 3rd
                  York City 2 Exeter City 0 Win takes York out of the relegation zone
                  Truro City 4 Hemel Hempstead Town 2 Win takes Truro into the play off spots

Champions League

Paris St Germain 2 Chelsea 1 First defeat under Hiddink,scored a precious away goal right on half time

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post

Southampton colours, I'd say.( see club colours section towards the bottom ).

and a Saints man introduced footy to Brazil.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

FA Cup? Although I 'd like to see Hull progress so that they would have less energy for the Championship - OK I 'm a selfish Owl!
                      Seems fair enough.
                      A shame multiple replays have gone the way of all things.

And in fact replays themselves are in danger now.
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 18-02-16, 22:18.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Another Saturday, another six-pointer. Good luck to the board teams out there today!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Seems fair enough.
                          A shame multiple replays have gone the way of all things.

Hull adding a fixture, now.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Hull adding a fixture, now.
                            I assume that gives you some pleasure, cloughie...and Alison too I imagine! Lat less!
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 20-02-16, 17:45.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

I hope not. It's like tennis tie breakers, 20/20 cricket & Radio 3 Breakfast. No-one seems to have any patience.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Latest forum results

Thursday,Europa League

FC Midtjylland 2 Manchester United 1 Poor display in a competition they may have to win to secure Champions League football next season
                                FC Augsburg 0 Liverpool 0 Dour game apparently

Friday,League game

Partick Thistle v Aberdeen was postponed

Today,FA Cup 5th round

Arsenal 0 Hull City 0 Gunners dominated but were up against an inspired keeper
                                Bournemouth 0 Everton 2 Cherries had chances and had a penalty saved

FA Vase,6th round

Hereford 3 Camberley Town 2 After extra time,2-2 @ 90 mins

League games

Cardiff City 4 Brighton 1 Setback after a recent upturn in form,conceded 3 in the 1st 30 mins
                                Preston 1 Sheffield Wednesday 0 Red card on 66 mins,conceded on 73 mins,remain in the top 6
                                Barnet 1 Wimbledon 2 Held on after conceding an 87th min goal at 2-0
                                Bristol Rovers 2 Morecambe 1 Up to 6th,scored both goals in the last 20 mins
                                Cambridge United 3 York City 1 Well beaten after recent good run,remain outside the bottom 2
                                Luton Town 2 Hartlepool United 1 Still in the game until conceding a late 2nd
                                Welling 0 Wrexham 2 Both goals in the 1st half,now just outside the play off places
                                Brackley Town 0 Stockport County 1 Scored just before half time,mid table
                                Chelmsford City 2 Margate 3 Took an early lead but were 1-2 down at half time,got back level just after the break but let it slip on 68 mins
                                Truro City 1 Ebbsfleet 1 Took the lead just after the break but were pegged back ,good point v the league leaders
                                Celtic 3 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0 Had chances in the 1st half before conceding 3 after the break
                                St Mirren 1 Dumbarton 0 Scored midway through the 2nd half,now 10 points clear of the bottom 2
                                East Stirlingshire 0 Annan Athletic 1 Made it difficult for the promotion chasers,conceded in the 2nd half

No games for Coventry,Leicester,Newcastle,Liverpool and Southampton
                                Crystal Palace and Chelsea play tomorrow,Manchester United on Monday
                                Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 21-02-16, 22:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X