X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    Being a traditionalist when it comes to sports reporting and discussion and given the nature of commercial radio since 1982, I have generally avoided Talksport like I would the plague. However, I have recently discovered "The Two Mikes" who have a certain way, erm, through the night and I have to concede that it is distinctive and even reasonably entertaining. They remind me a little in their banter of the traditional cricket coverage on the BBC and the better two-way discussion that occurs at air shows via loudspeaker.

Neither so far as I am aware stood on planes early in the history of aviation or indeed in the revival of that activity by "Utterly Butterly". But Parry is having to give a humiliating public donation to Bournemouth instead of jumping off their pier on the grounds he never explained why he didn't do what he said he would do if they got themselves promoted.
    Hi Lat.

I listen to Talksport a lot,almost as much as R3,I think it's underrated.
    There's a lot of quality sports reporting on the station and plenty of humour.
    Mike Parry is a hoot isn't he ?
    He has a serious heart condition,was on the transplant list at one time IIRC.
    Apparently he abandoned the pier jump on doctor's orders.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      Hi Lat.

I listen to Talksport a lot,almost as much as R3,I think it's underrated.
      There's a lot of quality sports reporting on the station and plenty of humour.
      Mike Parry is a hoot isn't he ?
      He has a serious heart condition,was on the transplant list at one time IIRC.
      Apparently he abandoned the pier jump on doctor's orders.
      Hi Rob, I was really, really - really - surprised. I think they and a few others on that station have got it right. Those two Mikes are no fools and they have the ability to be wide ranging with intelligence and humour in discussion. On researching them, I discovered Parry's health difficulties and there is a suggestion that Graham is hardly full of behavioural health himself. But that helps in an odd sort of way. To find another analogy, there is a a hint of Alan Coren with Christopher Matthew on that great "Bus Pass" series they did.

I dip into TTN, "Outlook" on the World Service, 5 Live with the football and music phone ins and Barkes/Lederman on BBC London when they aren't too political but most of LBC has gone. I just didn't expect to find anything of this kind in commercial radio anymore. It's been quite reassuring actually and even more so knowing now that forum friends are tuning in. Incidentally, re fantasy football, about a week ago I bought Lukaku and Deulofeu because I'm going for a Martinez/Everton surge and I haven't the guts to check to see whether there have been injuries since. Anyhow, here we are again - Josie has settled me by being kind (no detail, not dubious) - and two weeks of no Premiership has been too long.
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 21-11-15, 00:07.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

The Saints didn't manage to manage to cling on to their goal advantage v the Mortonians last night and relinquished the lead at 90 mins. They sounded a bit clueless in the 2nd half - think we have a manager who is a candidate for the coat-on-a-shoogly-peg-of-the-month award.

(That sounds like something Tennessee Williams could have made something of!)
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-11-15, 12:12. Reason: relaxed Saturday!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          The Saints didn't manage to manage to cling on to their goal advantage v the Mortonians last night and relinquished the lead at 90 mins. They sounded a bit clueless in the 2nd half - think we have a manager who is a candidate for the coat-on-a-shoogly-peg-of-the-month award.

(That sounds like something Tennessee Williams could have made something of!)
          Bad luck JC, hard to take, losing a lead late on to the soap dodgers.

I'll have to googletranslate the second part of your post.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Poor John.

Good luck to everyone today.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Bad luck JC, hard to take, losing a lead late on to the soap dodgers.

I'll have to googletranslate the second part of your post.
              Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Poor John.

Good luck to everyone today.
              Thanks folks. Hope you have a winning weekend - slow post match-day day today but big news from Paisley as they go after the post-Hull award! It's a shoo-in.
              St Mirren chiefs are set to rename their home ground ‘Paisley Stadium’ in a bid to net the town a prestigious title. Club bosses are about to rubber-stamp a £66,000 two-year sponsorship deal with Renfrewshire Council as part of the UK City of Culture in 2021 campaign.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Hey Alison, how do you know you're reading the paper upside down?

Cos the Foxes are bottom of the league, of course.

Great stuff...some guy Claudio!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Think we need Jamie Vardi at the Paisley 2021 stadium!

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

We could archive all the pages with Hartlepool defeats on - imagine the space that would generate ...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

What on Earth are the BBC playing at?

Don't they proof-read what they publish?

Just look at this erroneous league table.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Sorry it's late folks

St Mirren 1 Morton 1 Yes bad luck JC,Went ahead early on,visitors denied a penalty soon after,last minute equaliser may have been offside.
                        Watford 1 Manchester United 2 Took an early lead,conceded a very late penalty,winner came in the last minute via an OG
                        Chelsea 1 Norwich 0 Costa goal in the 2nd half ensured a 1st win in 4 games
                        Newcastle United 0 Leicester City 3 Vardy equalled the Premier League record by scoring in a 10th successive match,Foxes top.Alison,spare a thought for AG and BBM
                        Southampton 0 Stoke City 1 Conceded an early goal against the in form visitors
                        Swansea City 2 Bournemouth 2 All the goals in the 1st 40 minutes,Cherries were 2-0 up
                        them 1 Liverpool 4 Dazzling 1st half Reds tore them lot apart.how we laughed
                        Sheffield Wednesday 3 Huddersfield Town 1 Came back from a goal down to score 3 goals in the last 12 minutes
                        Coventry City 4 Gillingham 1 Top of the table after a super win v the 2nd placed side,all Cov's goals in 10 1st half minutes
                        Wimbledon 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1 Last minute eqauliser rescued a point for the Dons
                        Crawley Town 2 Bristol Rovers 1 Conceded 2 goals in the 1st 10 minutes,87th minute penalty came too late
                        Leyton Orient 3 York City 2 Narrow defeat v the promotion chasers,managed to fight back from 2 goals down twice
                        Mansfield Town 3 Hartlepool United 1 Level at the break via an OG,then conceded on 57 and 81 minutes
                        Aldershot 0 Wrexham 1 Winner came in the 2nd half,4th successive league win
                        Lowestoft Town 2 Stockport County 2 Familiar tale, we were 2 -0 up then conceded on 75 (goalkeeping blunder) and 95 minutes
                        Chelmsford 0 Eastbourne Borough 3 Inconsistent form continues,well beaten and manager sent off late on
                        Partick Thistle 2 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1 Forum and Thistle derby,last minute winner for the hosts
                        East Stirlingshire 3 Montrose 1 Comfortable win,went 3-0 up on 58 minutes,off the bottom of the table

FA Vase 2nd round

Hereford 4 Haughmond 1 No match details for this one

Brighton and Truro City play tomorrow
                        Crystal Palace play on Monday

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

I am watching MOTD. Who is this Vardy, and why haven't we bought him?

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Great round up ER, thanks as usual.

a bit chilly at SMS today, and not a game to warm the fans up . All rather lacklustre from the Saints, and not too much help for the team from the stands.

we'll need to be a lot better if we want to get past Liverpool in the league cup.

Another fabulous day for Leicester. Some tough games coming up, but they can look forward to them with confidence.
                            Last edited by teamsaint; 22-11-15, 00:39.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Great round up ER, thanks as usual.

a bit chilly at SMS today, and not a game to warm the fans up . All rather lacklustre from the Saints, and not too much help for the team from the stands.

we'll need to be a lot better if we want to get past Liverpool in the league cup.

Another fabulous day for Leicester. Some tough games coming up, but they can look forward to them with confidence.
                              I can't understand why Mane isn't starting every game. The Vardy story is miraculous. Surely he was just one of several last year - Ulloa, Nugent etc - and not that long ago was non-league. As observed before, the Leicester success could lead to more of Asian background in football. Happy to have taken Lukaku for Fantasy Football this week and made him Captain. New signing Deulofeu also looked good today. I think Everton, Stoke, Liverpool and Chelsea are all on the way up. The first will surprise. York and Arsenal - disappointing.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

and finally

Burnley 1 Brighton 1 Took the lead on 58 seconds then conceded a penalty 3 minutes later,remain unbeaten this season
                                Hayes & Yeading 2 Truro City 2 Point takes City up to 5th,2-0 down at the break,scored with 17 minutes to go and equalised in the 89th minute

Comment

Working...
                                X