Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Elliott Carter once said that the opening movement, Partita, of his Symphonia: sum fluxæ pretium spei - one of his finest achievements, I think - was in a sense like a soccer match; it that the kind of thing that this thread's all about, by chance?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Elliott Carter once said that the opening movement, Partita, of his Symphonia: sum fluxæ pretium spei - one of his finest achievements, I think - was in a sense like a soccer match; it that the kind of thing that this thread's all about, by chance?
      He should ('ve), stick to music, as you should.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        He should ('ve), stick to music, as you should.
        You mean stuck - as indeed he did - and as indeed I do! - one of the many differences between us on that front being that he stuck to it for about 87 years, which is more than anyone else has ever done, I imagine (I've recently discovered that he wrote a substantial piano sonata in around 1924 or 1925 although I'm uncertain if it still exists - and his final work, 12 Epigrams for piano trio, was completed on August 2012 with some amendments to the first of them dated mid-September that year - I had the privilege of looking at the autograph ms. only three weeks ago, which is when I found that he'd tweaked no. 1 the month after completing the 12).

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

You mean stuck - as indeed he did - and as indeed I do! - one of the many differences between us on that front being that he stuck to it for about 87 years, which is more than anyone else has ever done, I imagine (I've recently discovered that he wrote a substantial piano sonata in around 1924 or 1925 although I'm uncertain if it still exists - and his final work, 12 Epigrams for piano trio, was completed on August 2012 with some amendments to the first of them dated mid-September that year - I had the privilege of looking at the autograph ms. only three weeks ago, which is when I found that he'd tweaked no. 1 the month after completing the 12).
          Ha regal Brian started too late to compete in number of years in music but Stokowski probably ran him close, however if this discussion on long musical careers is to continue it needs to move to a new thread - this one's for footy all the way from top forum club Leicester to very low league, run out of money and luck, Hereford.

Just a thought - don't anyone sing to me 'Down in the Valley'

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Last word on the weekend football

Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 2 Forum derby,level at the break,late Eagles winner to go 8th,1st defeat for Klopp

FA CUP

Bristol Rovers 0 Chesham United 1 Cup shock,2nd half winner for the Southern League side

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Great away win for Palace. Man U reject, Zaha, played a blinder by all accounts. The winner was scored by Liverpool-born (and fan), Scott Dann.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Ha regal Brian started too late to compete in number of years in music but Stokowski probably ran him close, however if this discussion on long musical careers is to continue it needs to move to a new thread - this one's for footy all the way from top forum club Leicester to very low league, run out of money and luck, Hereford.
                I was thinking specifically of composition careers rather than musical ones in general. Anyway, I've no idea in what league Hereford might expect to find itself in the context concerned, but if it would be near the bottom end, I would not be surprised (although the Cathedral's music making has much going for it); the place has no ring road or motorway and is very hard to get in and out of, so I'd not expect any great shakes from their efforts with games with balls whatever the shape of those balls (and I think the racecourse has died a death, too).
                Last edited by ahinton; 09-11-15, 08:39.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Last word on the weekend football

Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 2 Forum derby,level at the break,late Eagles winner to go 8th,1st defeat for Klopp

FA CUP

Bristol Rovers 0 Chesham United 1 Cup shock,2nd half winner for the Southern League side
                  Rob,

One question that arose during lunch is whether there is any precedent for the catastrophe that is Chelsea this season. In other words, has any winner in the top flight ever had such a bad start in the following season? Then we turned to Leicester. We felt if they really make a success of this year it could lead to a sea change in the involvement in football of people of Indian and similar family roots, given the ethnic composition - football playing and support. Vardy has already performed miracles. Maybe that will be his main one!
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 09-11-15, 02:42.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                    One question that arose during lunch is whether there is any precedent for the catastrophe that is Chelsea this season. In other words, has any winner in the top flight ever had such a bad start in the following season?
                    In 1968, Manchester United won the European Cup, and were pipped at the post in the league by Manchester City.

The moment of glory was short-lived, with Man U making a poor start to the season. Sir Matt Busby resigned in mid-season and handed the reigns over to Wiif McGuinness, which only made matters worse. They finished 11th.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Rob,

One question that arose during lunch is whether there is any precedent for the catastrophe that is Chelsea this season. In other words, has any winner in the top flight ever had such a bad start in the following season?
                      Blackburn won in 94-95 and were 13th in November 95-96. They recovered to end up 7th. This was the year Man U pipped Newcastle after Kevin Keegan's famous emotional outburst: "I will love it if we beat them!" .

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Blackburn won in 94-95 and were 13th in November 95-96. They recovered to end up 7th. This was the year Man U pipped Newcastle after Kevin Keegan's famous emotional outburst: "I will love it if we beat them!" .
                        Better than "I will beat it if we love them!", presumably...

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Rob,

One question that arose during lunch is whether there is any precedent for the catastrophe that is Chelsea this season. In other words, has any winner in the top flight ever had such a bad start in the following season? Then we turned to Leicester. We felt if they really make a success of this year it could lead to a sea change in the involvement in football of people of Indian and similar family roots, given the ethnic composition - football playing and support. Vardy has already performed miracles. Maybe that will be his main one!
                          The other question which should be asked is whether any other Chelsea manager in recent years has made November following a poor start to the season.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

anton
                            Following last year's exit you wouldn't have chosen the basement club with the silver spoon.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              anton
                              Following last year's exit you wouldn't have chosen the basement club with the silver spoon.

.....I have a very bad feeling about this ........

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Midweek

Football League Trophy

Barnsley 2 York City 1
                                Southend United 1 Bristol Rovers 0

So ends forum involvement in this competition

Today's league action

Colchester United 1 Coventry City 3 Came from behind with 3 goals in 17 minutes either side of half time,2nd
                                Bristol Rovers 2 Carlisle United 0 Bounced back from recent cup exits with 2nd half goals
                                York City 1 Plymouth 2 Late goal v the league leaders no consolation for the new manager
                                Wrexham 4 Gateshead 0 All the goals in 20 2nd half minutes,visitors down to 10 men on 48 minutes
                                Stockport County 1 Tamworth 1 If only we had someone to put away the numerous chances we are creating
                                Hayes & Yeading 0 Chelmsford 5 Cracking away win helped by a red card for the hosts on 38 minutes,7th
                                Truro City 0 Hemel Hempstead Town 0 Abandoned at half time due to floodlight failure
                                East Fife 5 East Stirlingshire 3 East derby,from 2-1 up at the break,3 red cards,2 for our team,bottom of the table
                                Bardon Hill 0 Hereford 2
                                from the Bulls web page
                                Hereford chalked up their 18th success in a row with a 2-0 victory over Bardon Hill. Here we take a look at some of the stats from the fantastic run.

GOALS, GOALS, GOALS! Over the 18 game winning run The Bulls have amassed a total of 64 goals for, whilst conceding just 6. That’s a goal difference of +58 goals.

CLEAN SHEETS: The Bulls have kept a clean sheet in 13 of the 18 games. The Bulls are currently on a run of 9 league games without conceding a goal.

CONCEDED: The last time The Bulls conceded a league goal was on the 22nd September during a 4-1 win over Lye Town at Edgar Street

Hartlepool and Wimbledon play tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X