• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    sorry, schooolboy error in my post.

i should have said " one of several ex Winchester city England internationals !!" ...which do include Paine and Drake , but not Bridge.

I blame this cold......

( I bet I get in big trouble with JLW.......)
    No you won't teams, I'd make you a hot toddy if I was round the corner...

Absolutely, a new manager can... get things going again, but without the buying power you're destined to stay in 5th or lower, exactly as Rogers said. See the Guardian today - "Liverpool...5th highest turnover, 5th highest wage bill, average league position with Rodgers... 5th". "Probably where we are at" - BR.

Still, a charismatic manager, a proven winner in the no-pushover Bundeslige, WILL be more attractive to the star names. Have Faith in him and his "Box-Office" lure, we may at least get a cup run or, for Heaven's sake, be worth watching again... if the players connect with his brand of tactical inspiration...

No dreams of the Premiership just yet, just - some kinda team, some kinda shape...
    But it still hurts to think just how quickly that 2014-vintage Corinthian brilliance dissolved around us. I recall that Suarez moment v Italy in Brazil, how my heart sank as I watched the slo-mo, I felt it all going away, the glum Liverpudlian future there in an instant...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Have just had the most fantastic "football on the radio" experience. The BBC London station has just "re branded". It has become "BBC Radio London" as it was from October 1970 when it started. Apparently, many of the programmes today have had a 1970 or early 1970s theme. On tuning in this evening to see what was happening, nothing less than the wonderful John Hollins and Frank McLintock talking about the great moments from that era and just after it. Many a reference to Charlie George, Peter Osgood and Stan Bowles. Somewhere I have John's autograph. What a smashing fella. Earlier in the programme, a really interesting comparison of sport in London between 1970s and 2015 including the sad closure of lidos, the many horse racing stadiums in London and the swimming pools where boxing took place, ie Manor Place Baths from which I also have autographs - Conteh etc.
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 06-10-15, 20:18.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

M
        Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        No you won't teams, I'd make you a hot toddy if I was round the corner...

Absolutely, a new manager can... get things going again, but without the buying power you're destined to stay in 5th or lower, exactly as Rogers said. See the Guardian today - "Liverpool...5th highest turnover, 5th highest wage bill, average league position with Rodgers... 5th". "Probably where we are at" - BR.

Still, a charismatic manager, a proven winner in the no-pushover Bundeslige, WILL be more attractive to the star names. Have Faith in him and his "Box-Office" lure, we may at least get a cup run or, for Heaven's sake, be worth watching again... if the players connect with his brand of tactical inspiration...

No dreams of the Premiership just yet, just - some kinda team, some kinda shape...
        But it still hurts to think just how quickly that 2014-vintage Corinthian brilliance dissolved around us. I recall that Suarez moment v Italy in Brazil, how my heart sank as I watched the slo-mo, I felt it all going away, the glum Liverpudlian future there in an instant...

Thanks for the offer of a virtual Hot Toddy Jayne, it would be most welcome. Go down well with a listen to the new Ticciati Haydn disc......

Chelsea's disastrous form at least opens the door for fourth for somebody else this season. I am sure Liverpool's new boss can get things going in a few weeks.

International break .......ZZZZZZZZZZZ. For Pl and Championship fans....
        Last edited by teamsaint; 06-10-15, 20:40.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Demetrius
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Klopp had his success with a struggling former number 1/2 team that at the time he was hired could neither match the money nor the structure the top-teams of 200X provided. He came in and managed to build up a young and hungry team and generate success. That would fit Liverpool (though Liverpool is not in the same kind of trouble Dortmund was). However, Klopp needed time to achieve that: in his first season the team did not qualify for any international competition, in his second one they "only" made the Europa League.

Would Klopp get this kind of time from Liverpool? Let's say Klopp/Liverpool finishes 7th this year and 5th/6th next year - would he get the third season (when he won the championship) he got in Dortmund?

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Not for Welsh fans, ts. Only the second time (just) in my lifetime if Wales qualify for a major tournament finals. I know they shouldn't blow it from here but there have been several times in the past when they have been pipped at the post.

Qualification for Euro 2016 plus that result in the rugby against England would make it a pretty good couple of weeks....

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
              Not for Welsh fans, ts. Only the second time (just) in my lifetime if Wales qualify for a major tournament finals. I know they shouldn't blow it from here but there have been several times in the past when they have been pipped at the post.

Qualification for Euro 2016 plus that result in the rugby against England would make it a pretty good couple of weeks....
              Fair point, . but beating Andorra at home will do it? surely a certainty?

good luck anyway, it'll certainly be good to see Wales appearing in the finals.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

M

Thanks for the offer of a virtual Hot Toddy Jayne, it would be most welcome. Go down well with a listen to the new Ticciati Haydn disc......

Chelsea's disastrous form at least opens the door for fourth for somebody else this season. I am sure Liverpool's new boss can get things going in a few weeks.

Ideal weekend to go and watch your local lower/non league side ?
                Despite the break,and unlike the BBC,we still provide a final score round up here !

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

so, international break proving pretty exciting, just as I thought it would.....

Bad news for JC, though, lets hope WGS sticks at the job.

amazing performance from Northern Ireland in their group.

and what a winning goal from Shaner against Germany .

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

so, international break proving pretty exciting, just as I thought it would.....

Bad news for JC, though, lets hope WGS sticks at the job.

amazing performance from Northern Ireland in their group.

and what a winning goal from Shaner against Germany .
                    Effindowski
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 08-10-15, 23:42. Reason: oh no not again!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      Effindowski
                      Only a Scottish team would have lost a decisive goal to a weak punt into the penalty-box from a silly free-kick needlessly and stupidly conceded well away from goal in the very final seconds of the match.

Now it looks like we'll be the only home nation not to qualify, surely the ultimate of all Scottish football humiliations. Many congrats to the ROI, the Irishmen clearly don't have our traditional and beloved self-destruct mentality

On the brighter side we were in by far the toughest group and scored two fine goals last night.All for absolutely nothing as it turned out.

Roll on the World Cup ...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Latest

Midweek

Football league trophy

Bristol Rovers 2 Wycombe Wanderers 0
                        Yeovil Town 0 Coventry City 0 (Yeovil won on pens)
                        York City 2 Doncaster Rovers 0

League

Wrexham 2 Tranmere Rovers 2 Needed a late equaliser

Today

Fleetwood Town 0 Coventry City 1 Last minute OG secured the win
                        Luton Town 1 York City 1 Leading at half time,conceded a pen on 63 mins
                        Northampton Town 2 Hartlepool United 1 From 2-0 down after 20 mins,pulled on back on the half hour
                        Oxford United 1 Wimbledon 0 Conceded a late goal against the 3rd placed team
                        Dover 2 Wrexham 1 Long trip,level at the break,conceded early in the 2nd half
                        Hereford 1 Long Eaton 0 First half goal,6 league wins on the bounce,top of the league

Scottish Challenge Cup

St Mirren 4 Dunfermline Athletic 0 Comfortable win against the league one side

FA Cup qualifying (Not good for our sides,Stockport already out)

Basingstoke Town 4 Chelmsford 2
                        Margate 4 Truro City 1

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Scottish Challenge Cup

St Mirren 4 Dunfermline Athletic 0 Comfortable win against the league one side
                          Thanks Rob, that was good news. I had been avoiding footie since our Euro footie exit on Thursday and hadn't realised the Saints were playing a real game. Wish we were getting three points for it.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

We might not have the greatest team in the world but undoubtedly we are blessed with the best fans as evidenced by their incredible support in tonight's wholly pointless away game against Gibraltar. We know our place ... unlike some others ...

Take a bow, Scotland fans!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Thanks Rob, that was good news. I had been avoiding footie since our Euro footie exit on Thursday and hadn't realised the Saints were playing a real game. Wish we were getting three points for it.
                              The round up that finds the results of the games you didn't know your team was playing in !

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                The round up that finds the results of the games you didn't know your team was playing in !
                                There ain't no round-up quite like it, Rob! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X