• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    Latest forum update.

St Mirren 0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1.Yet another forum derby,first half penalty sealed it.
    Just got back from the west coast where I was fortunately out of contact on Saturday. Seems the Buddies were totally useless and the penalty resulted in the attempt by a Saints defender to strip the shorts off the Caley forward. Things can only get better...can't they?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

... rather depends on what he did once the shorts were down eh?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• John Wright
        • Mar 2007

and finally

QPR 2 Liverpool 3. An extraordinary game of own and added time goals galore, reds 5th.
        It was enjoyable viewing for sure
        - - -

John W

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          on cloud 8 , Cloughie !!!

Thanks for the excellent round up , ER. Mixed bag for the board today.

An amazing afternoon at SMS. for the first 20 minutes, Sunderland were the better team. Then we were gifted an extraordinary own goal, and managed to go into HT 3 up having had 2 shots on target.

i have a theory that Sunderland had a half time bust up. Wes Brown was subbed, and I wonder if it was connected with some poor defending for our second goal.

Anyhow, we completely dismantled Sunderland in the second half, with some really incisive football.

Biggest win I have ever seen live, beating the 8-2 against Cov, (sorry John) back in the mid 80's.

Lots of happy Saints fans tonight.
          Many congratulations and thanks ts ......for once it's been an enjoyable day at work with a fair degree of Sunderland absenteeism .....

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Chelsea 6 Maribor 0. Blues stroll.
            Brentford 0 Sheffield Wednesday 0. Stalemate secures useful away point.
            Huddersfield Town 1 Brighton 1. Good point stops the rot.
            Oldham Athletic 4 Coventry City 1. Dismal run continues.
            Wimbledon 0 Plymouth 0. Another stalemate,Dons 12th.
            Accrington Stanley 3 Hartlepool United 1. Back in the relegation zone.
            Slough 2 Hereford United 0. Another poor show .
            Truro City 2 Paulton 0. Win takes City up to 7th.

in non forum news,Roma 1 Bayern 7 may have opened the door for man city

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

in non forum news,Roma 1 Bayern 7 may have opened the door for man city
              In European games, I always support the British clubs, even Chelsea.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                In European games, I always support the British clubs, even Chelsea.
                So do I, but not everyone does. An English friend of my wife's described watching the famous Bayern - Man U Final a few years ago in a bar in Hamburg - the one where Man U snatched it right at the end. A Man U hater, he was rooting for Bayern and the Hamburgers in the bar were cheering for Man .U.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  So do I, but not everyone does. An English friend of my wife's described watching the famous Bayern - Man U Final a few years ago in a bar in Hamburg - the one where Man U snatched it right at the end. A Man U hater, he was rooting for Bayern and the Hamburgers in the bar were cheering for Man .U.
                  Good one...I suppose it's the way I was brought up (at least that's what I'll put it down to), but I always supported two teams, St Mirren and whoever was playing Rangers...and that went for Europe, not that the Buddies got to Europe too often.

Comment

• Lancashire Lass
                    • Feb 2012

Oh dear, I am going to have to betray my tribal instincts here. But to be honest, football is tribal ...

In March last year, I went on a skiing holiday with some people I know, one of whom is a Man United fan. (I can't claim to ski, never done it before, but had a fit instructor, so can't complain.) Anyway, during the week, Man U were playing Real Madrid in the Champions League, and that night after dinner, John -- as I shall call him -- suggested to the party that we repair to a bar in the nearby village to watch the game on TV.

Having been brought up as a Man City fan, I naturally declined, but John (who seemed a bit surprised at this, as he knew I was a football fan) and some of the others went into the village and saw the game.

Some of you may recall that Man U lost 2-1 amidst controversial circumstances and as a result got eliminated from the competition before the knock-out round (not my razor-sharp memory by the way, just checked it all out on Google).

Next day at breakfast, I commiserated (hypocritically) with John about the result and the sending-off.

He gamely made a few comments about it being exciting, the standard of play etc., then said, "Thing is, there were loads of British people in the bar" [it's a popular ski resort with Brits] "and half of them were SUPPORTING REAL!!"

And he seemed genuinely mystified.

Sorry, but I just can't understand that :-)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Rounding off the forum results.

Liverpool 0 Real Madrid 3. The gulf seemed worth a lot more than three goals.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Must win game for us today against Ross County - come on the Buddies! I heard Coventry win Danny Baker's sausage sandwich game with Val McDermid this morning - good luck to them and most of the rest of the Board teams today.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

big day on the morrow; must win for les bleus!
                          best wishes all for a happy Saturday!
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Palace cruelly robbed of an away win by a last minute penalty at WBA. It was almost certainly my fault - I tuned in to one of those unofficial live video links to watch the last few minutes, just in time see the disaster unfold. If I had kept away they would probably have won.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              Palace cruelly robbed of an away win by a last minute penalty at WBA. It was almost certainly my fault - I tuned in to one of those unofficial live video links to watch the last few minutes, just in time see the disaster unfold. If I had kept away they would probably have won.

satdy round up

Liverpool 0 Hull City 0. Couldn't find a goal despite several chances and penalty shouts.
                              Southampton 1 Stoke City 0. Super form continues,now in 2nd place.
                              West Brom 2 Crystal Palace 2. At half time 2-0 up,threw it away conceding a last minute penalty.
                              Swansea City 2 Leicester City 0. Foxes early season form has deserted them,lost 4 out of 5 away games.
                              Brighton 1 Rotherham United 1. Ahead at the break,now just above the relegation zone.
                              Sheffield Wednesday 0 Norwich City 0. Owls struggking to score goals,none in the last 3 games.
                              Coventry City 3 Peterborough United 2. Great result,came back from 2-0 down at the break.
                              Wimbledon 2 Tranmere Rovers 2. Pegged back in the second half after leading 2-1 at half time.
                              Cambridge United 2 Hartlepool United 1. Conceded the second goal in the last 3 minutes,now rock bottom.
                              Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1 Dundee United 0. Early 1st half goal sealed it,now second in the table.
                              St Mirren 2 Ross County 2. Came from behind twice v the bottom placed team,points dropped but important game not to lose
                              Annan Athletic 4 East Stirlingshire 0. From 4-1 down,almost completed the comeback with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes
                              Truro City 1 Cambridge City 0. A goal just before the break,7th in the table.
                              St Neots Town 1 Hereford United 0. Conceded early to end the recent mini good run.

FA Cup 4th qualifying round.

Macclesfield Town 1 Wrexham 1. Behind at the break,equalised in the second half,replay on Tuesday.
                              Stockport County 2 Chester 4. Managed to claw back to 2-2 from 2-0 down but it was not to be,bumper 4612 crowd.
                              Chelmsford 0 Barnet 0. Great effort,chances for both teams to win,replay on Tuesday
                              Dorchester Town 1 Bristol Rovers 7.Easy win,5 goals in the 2nd half.

non forum eye catcing result of the day,Birmingham 0 Bournemouth 8

Newcastle and Chelsea to follow.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks for the fine round up, as ever ER. Much appreciated.

A couple of results there that, despite being a tad disappointing, (Palace, Owls) might look OK by the end of the season.

A really hard fought affair at SMS.
                                A perfect footy day weatherwise. Saints played with tremendous style and cutting edge during the first half, and probably should have gone in a couple up.

Stoke gave a far better account in the second half, without really creating anything, and had us in Edge of the seat territory.
                                Not much in footy sweeter than the relief at the end of a tense last 15 minutes.
                                a good day all round. Had my two lads with me for a rare game together, and Took a friends young lad to his first game, hopefully now cured of any thoughts of following manyoo.

anybody who hasn't seen Saints recently should have a look at Mane. He is the kind of player that makes it worth shelling out big bucks to watch footy. skillful exciting, unpredictable

Our next home game is a board derby against the Foxes.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X