Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Probably 2 changes of manager here.
    I think only Pardew EA........

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      I think only Pardew EA........
      I would certainly sack the Monkey hangers boss, after todays pathetic effort.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Many apologies ts. ..........

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          now now ts - just because you want to see a certain side playing Salisbury next season!

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            now now ts - just because you want to see a certain side playing Salisbury next season!
            I was rather hoping that the Whites might get promotion and avoid the ignominy of playing them........
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for the round-up as ever, ER. Rare win for Inverness these days, but the usual desperate performance from Hereford.

Would you care to explain the Split,and the. Labyrinthine complexities of the SPL, JC?

Seems confusing to us down here.
              As someone with a passing interest in the Scottish Premiership, I'll give this a try, ts.

As of this week, the regular (i.e. pre-assigned) SPL fixtures are completed and from next week* the league is split between the top 6 clubs and the bottom 6. For the remainder of the season, the top 6 clubs play each other once and the bottom 6 play each other once. The top 6 are playing essentially for European places (the title already having been decided) - I think the top 3 qualify. The bottom 6 play to avoid relegation, with two teams going down (Hearts are one of those teams as of yesterday).

So, still a lot to play for, especially for forum teams Inverness, Partick and St Mirren.

The bottom of the English Premier league is beginning to look interesting after Fulham's unexpected win yesterday. If they beat Norwich at home then I think Norwich will replace them as favourites for the drop, given their tough remaining fixtures.

* actually two weeks time as there is a week's break for the SPL

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                Cardiff City 0 Crystal Palace 3. Massive win,now 7 points clear of danger.
                Thanks again for great roundup. Survival looking possible. We're going to the Villa match next Saturday.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I'm rather disappointed about Cardiff. It's the team I wanted to see promoted from the Championship for several seasons. Sadly, things haven't gone their way, now that they've finally made it.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Thanks again for great roundup. Survival looking possible. We're going to the Villa match next Saturday.
                    I suspect Palace are doing better than many thought. Barnsley fans used to sing 'Just like watching Brazil' do Palace fans now sing 'Just like watching Stoke' ?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                      Thanks for the round-up as ever, ER. Rare win for Inverness these days, but the usual desperate performance from Hereford.

As someone with a passing interest in the Scottish Premiership, I'll give this a try, ts.

As of this week, the regular (i.e. pre-assigned) SPL fixtures are completed and from next week* the league is split between the top 6 clubs and the bottom 6. For the remainder of the season, the top 6 clubs play each other once and the bottom 6 play each other once. The top 6 are playing essentially for European places (the title already having been decided) - I think the top 3 qualify. The bottom 6 play to avoid relegation, with two teams going down (Hearts are one of those teams as of yesterday).

So, still a lot to play for, especially for forum teams Inverness, Partick and St Mirren.

The bottom of the English Premier league is beginning to look interesting after Fulham's unexpected win yesterday. If they beat Norwich at home then I think Norwich will replace them as favourites for the drop, given their tough remaining fixtures.

* actually two weeks time as there is a week's break for the SPL
                      The split, as aeolium correctly stated, happens after 33 games and each team in each half plays the other 5 once. This has been an issue over the years as some teams will play home 3 and away twice; others will be home twice and away three times. Yesterday's late rally by the Saints was a major one and kept all the teams trying to avoid the play-off close together, so the number of home games a team gets could be crucial.

As aeolium says the bottom team is relegated to the Championship - Hearts went down yesterday. Top of the Championship is promoted.

Then it gets complicated. The team in eleventh place in the SPL then plays the winner of a mini-tourney involving the Championship teams who finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th. As I understand it 4th plays 3rd over two legs; winner of that then plays the team in 2nd once again over two legs; the winner then plays the team finishing 11th in the SPL. (should be done by Christmas)!
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 06-04-14, 13:42. Reason: must go and lie down!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Must be between Pulis and Rodgers for English Premier League Manager of the season, gurnemanz!

Comment

• aeolium
                          • Nov 2010

Then it gets complicated. The team in eleventh place in the SPL then plays the winner of a mini-tourney involving the Championship teams who finish 2nd, 3rd and 4th. As I understand it 4th plays 3rd over two legs; winner of that then plays the team in 2nd once again over two legs; the winner then plays the team finishing 11th in the SPL. (should be done by Christmas)!
                          Aargh! It's worse than I thought - though I suppose I should have expected some play-off system.

What about at the top? First qualifies for Champions League, 2nd & 3rd Europa League places?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                            Aargh! It's worse than I thought - though I suppose I should have expected some play-off system.

What about at the top? First qualifies for Champions League, 2nd & 3rd Europa League places?
                            This is the first year the play-offs have affected the Premier League teams...and you're right about 2nd and 3rd, aeolium, and I think there's also a place for the Scottish Cup winner.
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 06-04-14, 14:14. Reason: biting my nails!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              This is the first year the play-offs have affected the Premier League teams...and you're right about 2nd and 3rd, aeolium, and I think there's also a place for the Scottish Cup winner.
                              Which is why ICT winning at Ross County was a good result for all the Scottish forum teams.
                              In a perfect world Hibernian,Kilmarnock or Ross County will finish 11th

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Good to see Arteta on the scoresheet for Everton after all this time. Arsenal could be double-qualifying for the Europa Cup yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X