X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

When SRL hits the target, the target stays hit !! He don't need no GLT.
    Be very afraid, Scottish persons !!
    In a friendly way, obviously.
    ooooooooh! Quaking in our boots, in a not-much-at-stake-kind of a way.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      ooooooooh! Quaking in our boots, in a not-much-at-stake-kind of a way.
      TBH, I didn't know there was a game until i read about SRL.

Bring back the home internationals I say.
      Proper football. !!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

TBH, I didn't know there was a game until i read about SRL.

Bring back the home internationals I say.
        Proper football. !!
        I'm afraid I'm old enough to remember the line, 'What's the time? Haffey past nine!'

England thrash Scotland 9-3 in this home international with brief highlights and funny commentaryEngland goals:-Bobby Robson, Jimmy Greaves 3, Brian Douglas,...

Comment

• scottycelt

I'm afraid I'm old enough to remember the line, 'What's the time? Haffey past nine!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFqrBatm8No
          Be positive, John ... not often we managed to score three at Wembley!

I once got Frank Haffey's autograph when I was a kid and I distinctly remember he signed it in green ink. Probably a free Celtic FC staff pen.

Scottish goalkeepers were a different breed in those days. Capable of world-class saves but careers utterly ruined by unforgettable howlers. I remember one save by Haffey in a Scottish Cup Final which I still consider to be probably the best I have ever seen.

I think Haffey ended up as a bar-crooner in Australia. Hope he had more success Down Under.

A truly memorable Scottish football character for all sorts of reasons ...

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            Be positive, John ... not often we managed to score three at Wembley!

I once got Frank Haffey's autograph when I was a kid and I distinctly remember he signed it in green ink. Probably a free Celtic FC staff pen.

Scottish goalkeepers were a different breed in those days. Capable of world-class saves but careers utterly ruined by unforgettable howlers. I remember one save by Haffey in a Scottish Cup Final which I still consider to be probably the best I have ever seen.

I think Haffey ended up as a bar-crooner in Australia. Hope he had more success Down Under.

A truly memorable Scottish football character for all sorts of reasons ...
            Too right Scotty. Actually his career was probably marred forever more after that result, but he was a fine keeper...they probably still sign in green ink these days in the East End. Alan Rough from your mob was probably the classic example of the Scottish keeper...one in a million one week, won in a raffle the next.

Anyway for some reason we don't seem to be playing this weekend...must be resting all our internationals for midweek.
            Ross County away for the Jags today...tough one!

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Any of you Scottish types remember Saints Legendary Goalkeeper, the great Eric Martin?

What an entertainer. Genius one minute, fallibility was part of the essential Eric.
              Adored by Saints fans of that era.

here he is playing in the snow !!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XarZj2eehc
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• scottycelt

Any of you Scottish types remember Saints Legendary Goalkeeper, the great Eric Martin?

What an entertainer. Genius one minute, fallibility was part of the essential Eric.
                Adored by Saints fans of that era.

here he is playing in the snow !!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XarZj2eehc
                Yes, sadly I remember when he played for the Pars (Dunfermline Athletic), Saint!

He was much the same type as Haffey and many other Scottish goalkeepers of that era. Scottish goalkeepers got an unfair reputation south of the border for being 'a joke', especially after the 9-3 debacle already mentioned by John. Some of them, like Haffey and Martin, did like a bit of 'clowning around', mind you!

They could be quite brilliant also, but, of course. when goalkeepers make a mistake with millions watching ......... well, just ask England's Rob Green!

Comment

• scottycelt

Too right Scotty. Actually his career was probably marred forever more after that result, but he was a fine keeper...they probably still sign in green ink these days in the East End. Alan Rough from your mob was probably the classic example of the Scottish keeper...one in a million one week, won in a raffle the next.

Anyway for some reason we don't seem to be playing this weekend...must be resting all our internationals for midweek.
                  Ross County away for the Jags today...tough one!
                  Tough one indeed John but we showed in the first game against Dundee Utd we can easily handle the new Premiership!

Actually that was a pretty decent and enjoyable game even though there were no goals ... much better than the Celtic-Ross County match.

Yes, Alan Rough was another of those very special goalkeepers!!

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Ronnie Simpson

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Promised ER I would try to keep things going so:

Huddersfield 1 QPR 1.

Owls 1 Burley 2. Oh dear.
                      Leicester play sunday
                      Colchester 1 Port Vale 0. Who is it follows vale?!
                      Coventry play tomorrow.
                      Wimbledon 1 Wycombe 0. Nice result.
                      Dagenham 2 York 0. Come back Lat !
                      Hartelepool 0 Southend 1. Awful start.
                      Bristol Rovers 0 Scunny 0.
                      Ross County 1 Partick 4. Jags Cooking with North sea gas.
                      Wrexham 2 Welling 1. Decent start to a long season !!

Nobody else seemed to play, but apologies to anybody I have missed out.

Come back ER, it's a long job this !!

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Stout work ts ......I have a bad feeling about the Monkey Hangers but I feel a lot of it is self inflicted ....Big John Hughes made the best of an impossible task last season ...so why was he sacked please?

Excellent Proms review too, is there any end to your talents in sight

Comment

• amateur51

Promised ER I would try to keep things going so:

Huddersfield 1 QPR 1.

Owls 1 Burley 2. Oh dear.
                          Leicester play sunday
                          Colchester 1 Port Vale 0. Who is it follows vale?!
                          Coventry play tomorrow.
                          Wimbledon 1 Wycombe 0. Nice result.
                          Dagenham 2 York 0. Come back Lat !
                          Hartelepool 0 Southend 1. Awful start.
                          Bristol Rovers 0 Scunny 0.
                          Ross County 1 Partick 4. Jags Cooking with North sea gas.
                          Wrexham 2 Welling 1. Decent start to a long season !!

Nobody else seemed to play, but apologies to anybody I have missed out.

Come back ER, it's a long job this !!
                          Many thanks for a great effort, teams. Four thousand turned up at the Racecourse to watch Wrexham v Welling, which is very impressive

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Many thanks for a great effort, teams. Four thousand turned up at the Racecourse to watch Wrexham v Welling, which is very impressive

yes, a fine turn out. Lets hope they are watching League 2 footy next season.

incidentally, I expect to be seeing more of new Bristol Rovers fan Anna on this thread this season !!!

Comment

• scottycelt

The ITV Commentator following the Community Shield game today ... 'Owen Coyle grew up in the Gorbals district of Glasgow so he certainly knows a challenge ... '

Comment

• Anna

incidentally, I expect to be seeing more of new Bristol Rovers fan Anna on this thread this season !!!
                                Oi! I heard that!! All in good time for me to don my Pirate outfit .... I am keeping up at the back here and I have always checked Am's Wrexham results.

Comment

Working...
                                X