X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Cheers Anna, teams, ER et al for all the commiserations but Newport were the stronger team on the day. Good luck to them back in the league! I feel sorry for Kidderminster too who finished second in the Conference but lost out in the play-offs - they were ten points ahead of Wrexham at the end but didn't make it to Wembley. The promotion system for the Conference really does need looking at.
    Indeed.
    Small crumb of comfort for Wrexham,two spicy derbies v Chester next season.
    I've been to one of these,not for the faint hearted.

BTW Am Newport didn't even score against Stockport in the two games this season (a win and a draw for us).

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      For all the talk about his unparalleled success at money-bags Man Yoo that still remains Fergie's finest achievement, imho. He temporarily broke up the Old Firm monopoly north of the border, and his relatively small club won the Euro Cup-Winners Cup in the process, beating Real Madrid in the final.

Staggering ... like something laughably unlikely out of Roy of the Rovers.
      Scotty, given your comments, with which I would concur, you might be interested in this extremely timely BBC Alba programme celebrating 30 years since Gothenburg, which airs tomorrow evening.
      Sir Alex Ferguson recounts the season he led Aberdeen FC to European glory in Gothenburg.

I always think it could have been St Mirren - except our board sacked him - oh well, that's life for you. What a man, what a manager!

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Today's news made yesterday's 'Great Lives' all the more poignant. Mumsnet founder chose Shankly, and I was saddened to hear about him retiring too early and having nothing outside the Round Ball Game - no hinterland was the expression used, which does not afflict Fergie, it seems. Instead this hero was swan turned the ugly duckling, banned from the stadium, training ground - I'm sure no such end awaits this other great Scot.
        Mumsnet founder Justine Roberts champions the life of the Liverpool manager Bill Shankly.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Couple of forum related results.

Chelsea 2 Tottenham 2.Keeps Spurs at arms length.

Wigan losing to Swansea was a welcome result for Newcastle and Southampton.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Does not make one proud to be a Pools fan - how the hell can they sack John Hughes?......he did a great job IMHO.
            I might trash my scrapbooks!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              Scotty, given your comments, with which I would concur, you might be interested in this extremely timely BBC Alba programme celebrating 30 years since Gothenburg, which airs tomorrow evening.
              Sir Alex Ferguson recounts the season he led Aberdeen FC to European glory in Gothenburg.

I always think it could have been St Mirren - except our board sacked him - oh well, that's life for you. What a man, what a manager!
              Oh dear, John, I've just noticed your post! Never mind, I occasionally tune into Alba and the programme may well be repeated. Thanks, anyway, much appreciated.

My late dad was an Aberdeen fan and I inherited a copy of Fergie's biography, even before he joined Man Utd, and which was published shortly after Gothenburg.

Fergie has lived in the same small town as myself (his mansion is slightly bigger than ours, though ) for as long as he's been at United. I've never seen him locally once in all that time but now that I know that he is always at the club's training ground by 07.00, I can maybe understand why!

It is evident that hard work and dedication was as much part of the man's incredible success than his obvious coaching genius.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Leicester have a 1-0 lead in the playoffs. Good old Ted does the business.

Hartlepool clearly have somebody good lined up............!!

The thought of a mass protest of Hartlepool fans all ripping up their scrapbooks outside the stadium is one I can't quite get out of my mind.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Oh dear, John, I've just noticed your post! Never mind, I occasionally tune into Alba and the programme may well be repeated. Thanks, anyway, much appreciated.

My late dad was an Aberdeen fan and I inherited a copy of Fergie's biography, even before he joined Man Utd, and which was published shortly after Gothenburg.

Fergie has lived in the same small town as myself (his mansion is slightly bigger than ours, though ) for as long as he's been at United. I've never seen him locally once in all that time but now that I know that he is always at the club's training ground by 07.00, I can maybe understand why!

It is evident that hard work and dedication was as much part of the man's incredible success than his obvious coaching genius.
                  It's on i-player for a week scotty.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Loved the letter from today's grauny from Londoner, Andy Smith:
                    'What is most amazing about Ferguson's reign as manager of Manchester United is that, if it wasn't for some poor refereeing decisions, his team would probably have been undefeated for 26 years.'

Comment

• amateur51

I'm sure that Lady F will be thrilled to have him under her feet at 07:00hrs in future, so he can do the breakfast dishes before tackling a list of jobs round the house that need doing

Behind every great man is a great woman, doing the washing up, shopping for the next meal, making the bed etc etc.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Leicester have a 1-0 lead in the playoffs. Good old Ted does the business.

Hartlepool clearly have somebody good lined up............!!

The thought of a mass protest of Hartlepool fans all ripping up their scrapbooks outside the stadium is one I can't quite get out of my mind.
                        Thanks for covering for me ts,bonus in the post.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          It's on i-player for a week scotty.
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sc19t
                          Thanks, John ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Seagulls 0 Palace 0 currently
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Seagulls 0 Palace 0 currently
                              Ended 0-0.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Ended 0-0.
                                Classic scoreline in the game that guaranteed goals.
                                Awrabest to any of the Board teams not yet on the beach - we've got a pointless game against Aberdeen today (which just about sums up our league campaign - thank God for Cups is what I say).

...and of course, very best wishes to Roberto and his band of wombles at Wimbley today.

Comment

Working...
                                X