X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Wright
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    decent result...looks like they might need an away goal though. Still, something to work with.
    Thanks for the update John.
    Yeah. You're right, an away goal should be aimed for; checked the rules and it's the usual arrangement. They are an attacking team so their aim will be to win. Eschen were decent opposition, so won't be easy away.

Qualifying
    In matches in the three qualifying rounds and the play-off stage, clubs play two matches against each other on a home-and-away basis. The club which scores the greater aggregate of goals qualifies for the next round, with away goals and then penalties used to determine the winner in the event of a draw.
    - - -

John W

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Viva Espana
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aeolium
        • Nov 2010

Here's an interesting report on the way German football looks after its supporters, comparing favourably with the situation in England. It doesn't seem to be harming the quality of the international side either, as they have consistently outperformed England in competitions over the last 40 years or so.*

*apart from the odd freak result like the 1-5 in Munich, though I don't think that was a qualifying game.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          Here's an interesting report on the way German football looks after its supporters, comparing favourably with the situation in England. It doesn't seem to be harming the quality of the international side either, as they have consistently outperformed England in competitions over the last 40 years or so.*

*apart from the odd freak result like the 1-5 in Munich, though I don't think that was a qualifying game.
          it was , in fact, a qualifier.
          however, to the real point. Fans in England are simply cash cows. Football in the 2nd 3rd and fourth tier can be expensive, but in the PL , at some places it is a joke. QPR fans, who had followed (and kept alive) their team were hit with gargantuan price rises on promotion.
          Clubs like Southampton want a minimum of £500 to renew a season ticket. Swansea set ALL matchday tickets at £35 last season. £35, for a run of the mill league game, evey fortnight.
          We are treated as customers, and we need to behave a such. I won't be ripped off. £30. How much music can I buy for that? it's a no brainer.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by aeolium View Post

Thanks for a very, very interesting article. I would be interested to hear of any similar situations in Western Europe vis a vis
            (a) the 50 plus 1 rule and (b) the mix of seating and standing.

Comment

• John Wright
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
              Yeah. You're right, an away goal should be aimed for; checked the rules and it's the usual arrangement. They are an attacking team so their aim will be to win. Eschen were decent opposition, so won't be easy away.
              FH got the away goal and in fact won 1-0, so 3-1 agg. Uefa site notes that son-in-law Danny started, don't know if subbed.

So next round sees them flying out to Sweden for game against AIK, next Thursday!
              - - -

John W

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Great result.
                AIK look like they might be a big test .
                Thanks for the update John.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Yes well done FH Hafnarfjördur.

Comment

• Northender

Pssst...anybody want some tickets for Elgin City's home game with Rangers?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                      Pssst...anybody want some tickets for Elgin City's home game with Rangers?
                      I'll believe it when I see it - what money is there going on them not dropping more than one division? I'll bet the lawyers are on the case!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        I'll believe it when I see it - what money is there going on them not dropping more than one division? I'll bet the lawyers are on the case!
                        Don't think even the lawyers can do much about this one ... legally, this is a new club so logically and rightly they should start in Div 3 like any other would have to do ...
                        Wonder what generous odds the bookies will give old rivals Celtic lifting the SPL title next season ... and the next ... and the nex.... ? ...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

At least they won't be playing Fort William.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                            Don't think even the lawyers can do much about this one ... legally, this is a new club so logically and rightly they should start in Div 3 like any other would have to do ...
                            Wonder what generous odds the bookies will give old rivals Celtic lifting the SPL title next season ... and the next ... and the nex.... ? ...
                            Doesn't Div 3 have part-time players and three-figure crowds?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Doesn't Div 3 have part-time players and three-figure crowds?
                              Sadly, not just Div 3, cloughie ...

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                                Sadly, not just Div 3, cloughie ...
                                So what you imply then is that Rangers in Div3 is a bit like say Everton playing in the Conference North!

Comment

Working...
                                X