Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmpH
    • Feb 2012

I agree, utterly stupid and for just how stupid the whole ' tiebreaker ' thing might be, see attached link showing order of preference as to how teams are separated.
    Amazing how far overall goal difference comes down the list. Might be interesting who goes through at the end of the ' Group of Death ' tonight !

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
      I agree, utterly stupid and for just how stupid the whole ' tiebreaker ' thing might be, see attached link showing order of preference as to how teams are separated.
      Amazing how far overall goal difference comes down the list. Might be interesting who goes through at the end of the ' Group of Death ' tonight !
      http://eurosoccerweb.com/uefa-euro-c...breaker-rules/
      I also agree. It is ridiculous.

My psychic gerbil is of the view though that a Germany v Greece match is inevitable and that the outcome of that match will change the entire course of history. (Putin is rumoured to be behind it all but he was in a hod carrying competition yesterday and was unavailable for an interview).

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        I also agree. It is ridiculous.
        My psychic gerbil is of the view though that a Germany v Greece match is inevitable and that the outcome of that match will change the entire course of history
        Thanks to AmpH for link to rules as well, it all seems very silly that Russia were knocked out in favour of Greece. Edit: But, with Rooney back, will Inger-Land get through?

Edit: courtesy of Uefa: Germany are not quite through, but will be as group winners (meaning a match against Greece in Gdansk) if they draw. They will be knocked out, though, if they lose to Denmark by any result other than a one-goal defeat in which Germany score at least two (i.e. they lose 3-2, 4-3, 5-4 etc) and Portugal win. Denmark will progress with any win. A draw will only be good enough if Portugal lose. If Denmark lose they are out. Portugal will be through with victory unless Denmark win by a one-goal margin (other than 2-1 and 1-0). They will progress with a draw unless Denmark win. Portugal will also be through if they lose by a one-goal margin and Denmark are also beaten.

The Netherlands must win by a two-goal margin and hope Denmark also lose to finish second and take on the Czech Republic in Warsaw.

Confused?
        Last edited by Guest; 17-06-12, 15:43.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Who remembers the goal average/goal difference debate? It isn't normally an issue, but it was when Arsenal beat Liverpool to the First Division championship, having equal points and goal difference. Arsenal won only because they had scored more goals, but as they had also conceded more goals, Liverpool would have won if the FA had chosen to retain goal average.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

rules is rules and if not these then some other rules will apply sensibly for most some or very little of the time ..... such rules are obviated by taking maximum points from your group games and winning the knockout matches to come ...

must say i am with Greece, what a smile that must have offered the folks back home .... and if Putin and crew are miserable
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

Especially as Greece should have had a penalty and instead had the captain booked so that he misses the quarter-final. Greece v Germany could be a bit fraught...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                rules is rules and if not these then some other rules will apply sensibly for most some or very little of the time ..... such rules are obviated by taking maximum points from your group games and winning the knockout matches to come ...

must say i am with Greece, what a smile that must have offered the folks back home .... and if Putin and crew are miserable
                I too would support Greece over Russia, but that does not mean the rules are just.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                  I agree, utterly stupid ....
                  .... well, it's just a silly, silly game, this footleball - ain't it?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    courtesy of Uefa: Germany are not quite through, but will be as group winners (meaning a match against Greece in Gdansk) if they draw. They will be knocked out, though, if they lose to Denmark by any result other than a one-goal defeat in which Germany score at least two (i.e. they lose 3-2, 4-3, 5-4 etc) and Portugal win. Denmark will progress with any win. A draw will only be good enough if Portugal lose. If Denmark lose they are out. Portugal will be through with victory unless Denmark win by a one-goal margin (other than 2-1 and 1-0). They will progress with a draw unless Denmark win. Portugal will also be through if they lose by a one-goal margin and Denmark are also beaten.

The Netherlands must win by a two-goal margin and hope Denmark also lose to finish second and take on the Czech Republic in Warsaw.

Confused?
                    Duckworth-Lewis ?

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    But, with Rooney back, will Inger-Land get through?
                    Yes, with Rooney chomping at the bit,time for Hodgson's heroes.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          ... and that, o EdgelyRob, is the sum of your response to the contention that footleball is just a silly, silly game??

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

to use the words of Randy Newman...it may be a silly game but its OUR silly game.

(and it would be less silly if FIFA employed staff with functioning brains.)
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              to use the words of Randy Newman...it may be a silly game but its OUR silly game.

(and it would be less silly if FIFA employed staff with functioning brains.)
                              What's wrong with being silly, anyway?

That great football fan, 'Ed Balls, is always being silly, and it certainly hasn't done him any harm ...

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                But any non-essential for the purposes of survival human activity can be described as 'just silly' if looked at from a hostile external perspective. Even French baroque music , or pretending that wine is of any interest other than for the effects of the alcohol, etc .

So, no, it isn't "just a silly game." It's a "silly game" if you choose to look at it that way. IMHO .

(I don't really see that the head-to-head rule is unjust. Manchester City did the double over Manchester United, which surely made them winning the title feel more just).

Comment

Working...
                                X