X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

edit double post..rubbish broadband !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      I yearn for the days when football commentary went like this.............

"Bremner................Giles.............to Lorimer.....................Clarke................ .....ONE NIl. !!!

Psycho babble round football does my head in, so I usually turn the sound down and put some music on.
      I have just thought.........for the euros, I may tailor it..............Some Elgar as our boys take the field, a little Polonaise or two when the poles are playing,..... you get the idea.
      Has to improve things.
      I always have the TV sound turned down. I can't abide Craig Burley making snide remarks about his co-commentator or Martin Tyler forever wondering about who'll next 'make' the England squad, that being of little or no interest whatsoever to some of us.

Listening to Bach whilst watching Barcelona I can thoroughly recommend as a superb alternative!

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

There's only one football story in town up here and it all surrounds the Rangers' debacle complete with the tales of corruption, mismanagement etc. The Scottish League upheld a decision to fine RFC 160 thousand pounds and impose a transfer ban - no registering of players over 17 for the next year. The Rangers' fans are talking of conspiracy and spurred on by former players are suggesting a boycott of away games. It's an incredible situation, because the other SPL clubs are largely bending over backwards to prevent RFC descend into the lower leagues, taking their spending power with them. This story just runs and runs.
        Angry Rangers fans could ask the Glasgow club to boycott the Scottish Cup and Scotland squads next season.

Meanwhile the last owner was called Whyte and the 'leader' in the race at present is Green - conspiracy or what say the wags!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          There's only one football story in town up here and it all surrounds the Rangers' debacle complete with the tales of corruption, mismanagement etc. The Scottish League upheld a decision to fine RFC 160 thousand pounds and impose a transfer ban - no registering of players over 17 for the next year. The Rangers' fans are talking of conspiracy and spurred on by former players are suggesting a boycott of away games. It's an incredible situation, because the other SPL clubs are largely bending over backwards to prevent RFC descend into the lower leagues, taking their spending power with them. This story just runs and runs.
          Angry Rangers fans could ask the Glasgow club to boycott the Scottish Cup and Scotland squads next season.

Meanwhile the last owner was called Whyte and the 'leader' in the race at present is Green - conspiracy or what say the wags!

Yes, I just love the Green & Whyte factor ...

How times have changed in Scottish football! When I was a lad it was Celtic which was considered the 'poor relation' in Old Firm terms and the supporters forever complaining of opposing prejudice and bigotry elsewhere (at that time with some justification). Rangers was the 'money-bags' outfit largely run by the then very powerful banks.

If I were a Rangers fan I'd just be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the club may not now fold completely as previously feared. The only people to blame for the club's current financial and reputational mess are those directors wholly responsible for it ... nobody else.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

What are the entrance prices at Rangers these days....??....and average attendance??....Has there been large infra-structure projects re stadium??....
            bong ching

Comment

• scottycelt

Don't know about prices and various projects but official attendances at Rangers home games are normally around 50,000 while at Celtic it is nearly 60,000 ... obviously support for both clubs is not the problem, it is lack of money from other sources like TV and being in the direct shadow of the richest and 'best league in the world' that is the bugbear of Scottish football, not just Celtic and Rangers. To attract decent players these days you need money as any supporters of Stockport County in England might confirm.

Nobody as yet has come up with an answer and, till somebody does, the future for the Scottish game looks bleak indeed ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

the future for the English game is not bright either scottycelt .... development of players being quite critical the global talent market is a major constraint ..... the Basque clubs like Athletic Bilbao are an inspiration because of their commitment to local talent ... [do i recall correctly the moan in the good ol' days about all the best Scots players playing in England ....?]
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

While on the subject of Scottish football, this weekend gives Hibs another chance to win the cup for the first time since 1902 I believe - and against their city rivals too. As always happens the oracles are being written, but a very interesting story is doing the round about a prediction made back in the fifties by an Italian Brother, Uncle Nods.....I think it would be great if it came to pass ( and I ain't no Hibee!)

Comment

• AmpH
                    • Feb 2012

I yearn for the days when football commentary went like this.............

"Bremner................Giles.............to Lorimer.....................Clarke................ .....ONE NIl. !!!
                    So do I !!! .......... oh how times have changed !!!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Great players too. I was pleased to see Lee, Bell and Summerbee handing over the Premership trophy to the new Man City team

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                        I always have the TV sound turned down.
                        I've only just turned the sound back on again, having been unaware that vuvuzelas have been banned.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Great players too. I was pleased to see Lee, Bell and Summerbee handing over the Premership trophy to the new Man City team
                          I thought it was interesting that BBC, Salford-based could only find Hendry to interview on the morning following City's success, were all the other ex-players well away?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

I prefer 1971....Brown to Astle....
                            bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                              I prefer 1971....Brown to Astle....
                              boing, boing!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                That was very good.

Revie's Leeds team get a lot of stick, some of it justified, for being too "professional", shall we say.........but boy could they play. A real joy to watch when on form.
                                Seemed to be the same 11 every week.

Sprake
                                Reaney Hunter Charlton Cooper
                                Lorimer Giles Bremner Gray
                                Clarke Jones

Madeley filling in where needed. (he was really a centre half, but i read that he once played an entire season on the left wing..........now THAT is a utility player).

Oh and before anybody posts a link to THAT move against Saints........don't bother, we got our revenge at the Dell the next season !!
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X