The Round Ball Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

I support this (Croydon) appointment. I particularly remember Hodgson's time as manager of Switzerland. He took them to third place in the rankings. However, it has always been a bit of a mystery to me how he became a top flight manager. It wasn't as if he had been a first team player or that he had even had huge success early on at a big British club. So I have Googled.

Roy Hodgson

In 1972, he was in his mid-20s and a PE teacher at Alleyns School, Dulwich. He had failed to get a first team place at Crystal Palace in the mid 1960s and had then played for non-league teams Tonbridge, Gravesend and Maidstone. By 29, he had played for three more - Ashford, Berea Park and Carshalton Athletic. From the latter he astonishingly went directly in 1976 to managing a first division team in Sweden, Halmstads BK, where he perfomed miracles and, unusually, stayed for five years. The success is not the mystery as much as the break. How does anyone go from being a Carshalton player to a first division manager?

Maidstone United - 1971

It appears that a part of the answer is Bob Houghton. Houghton, most recently in charge of India's side, had a brief playing career at Fulham and Brighton between 1966 and 1970. He was then one of the youngest coaches ever to manage in English senior football, being appointed player-manager of Hastings United in the Southern League at only 23. In the early 1970s he also managed Maidstone United and worked as an assistant to Bobby Robson at Ipswich Town. So clearly Hodgson and Houghton had encountered each other momentarily at Maidstone United a few years before Hodgson had moved to Halmstads BK.

Halmstads BK, Sweden

Bob Houghton

Houghton had made an arguably even more astonishing move by going directly from manager of Maidstone to Malmo in Sweden in 1974. He was only 27 and being almost exactly the same age as Hodgson predated Hodgson's move to Sweden by two years. So there, I think, is the contact. It wasn't indirect patronage from Robson who was to stay at Ipswich for many years. That Houghton though had worked early on for Robson is an interesting angle on the offer to Hodgson today. The media keep describing the Hodgson offer as surprising but the only surprise is that he has had to wait until 64. In the days when continuity mattered - that sort of jobs only for family members, both for better or worse - he would have been a shoo-in far earlier.

Sir Bobby Robson

There are a number of questions. One, the history. What does it say about Swedish football in the 1970s, and indeed the opportunities for people in the 1970s, that two British people with very little experience could have become top football managers there overnight? After all, unlike in 1966, the Swedish National Team had qualified for the World Cup in 1970, 1974 and 1978. This is not an achievement that was equalled by England. Two, will Houghton be Assistant Manager, Head Coach or whatever? While Hodgson has managed very effectively without him for decades, it would arguably be very appropriate in the circumstances.

Zhejiang Greentown FC

Three, how robust will any contract be? We need the new manager to stick around and not have to pay huge penalty clauses should he decide to leave. If there is any doubt, it has to be that Hodgson isn't one who seems to think about the long term. He has now managed Halmstads, Bristol City, Oddevold, Örebro, Malmö FF, Neuchâtel Xamax, Switzerland, Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Inter for a second time, Grasshoppers, FC Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Viking, Finland, Fulham, Liverpool and West Bromwich Albion. As for Houghton, he is clearly of the same mould having managed Hastings United, Maidstone United, Malmö FF, Ethnikos Piraeus, Bristol City, Toronto Blizzard, Al-Ittihad, Orgryte IS, Malmö FF, Al-Ittihad for a second time, FC Zürich, Colorado Rapids, China, Shanghai Pudong, Sichuan Quanxing, Zhejiang Greentown, Uzbekistan, Changsha Ginde and India!
    Last edited by Guest; 30-04-12, 18:38.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I just hope he is the right manager for england. Three again, when has England had the right manager?
      Obviously Alf Ramsey, but also Joe Mercer, Ron Greenwood, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables were (in my opinion) the right managers.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

thanks for the dope lat it is as they now say "dope"

dope was a simpler proposition when i was a lad i can tell you ....
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Roy does seem to have a good track record,the odds were stacked against him at Liverpool before he took the job.
          Only time will tell if he is the right man for the job but I can picture him in an FA blazer already.
          Harry was probably the fans choice (shades of Brian Clough being overlooked all those years ago?).

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Looking forward to tonights showdown, ER?

One of those times when you want both teams to lose !!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Roy is a good manager.
              he wasn't right for Liverpool.........but then who is?

he would do a decent job for England, but I doubt he will win anything....nobody else has away from home .
              As a member of the England supporters' club said today, the key thing may be that he will lead to a lessening of expectations.

England are likely to do better if everyone (esp the press) thinks they are likely to lose, and the team can prepare and play without the almost psychotic build-up of expectations, as expressed through the media, which has characterised recent years. England need to be underdogs to do anything useful.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                As a member of the England supporters' club said today, the key thing may be that he will lead to a lessening of expectations.

England are likely to do better if everyone (esp the press) thinks they are likely to lose, and the team can prepare and play without the almost psychotic build-up of expectations, as expressed through the media, which has characterised recent years. England need to be underdogs to do anything useful.
                couldn't agree more Caliban except for the characterisation of the mass psychosis as in any way borderline or a near thing ..... it is florid, full blown and raging ....

[actually it used to be an interesting discussion in Freudian circles i long ago frequented as to whether mass humanity was capable of anything other than psychosis, in the mass that is .... the answer has to be yes but not in relation to Engerland footie ....]
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

A bit of reversed psycololgy might be just the situatrion right now towards the general supporters of England.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

does anyone else prefer to watch footy on the telly with the sound off and music playing?
                    I am currently enjoying a citeh/manure stream accompanied by some Chopin.

Nice.And better than commentators psycho babble .
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Looking forward to tonights showdown, ER?

One of those times when you want both teams to lose !!
                      Watching the match as I write, the thought of facing those citeh fans at work tomorrow if they go on to win
                      It's bad enough having to drive past their ground twice a day.
                      As much as I am not a manyoo fan I would just prefer citeh to lose.

Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 30-04-12, 22:23. Reason: Sad face as now feeling sad

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        Watching the match as I write, the thought of facing those citeh fans at work tomorrow if they go on to win
                        It's bad enough having to drive past their ground twice a day.
                        As much as I am not a manyoo fan I would just prefer citeh to lose.

Well the omens are there. Last time Man City won the title, the runners up were Man Utd. In that season, both teams played (and beat) Newcastle at the end of the season.

Comment

• JFLL
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                          He's remembered with admiration and, generally, affection (and much gratitude) at Fulham - I wish him well.
                          Seems to have done a reasonable job at WBA, though they're not England. But spare a thought for us poor Baggies supporters. Just when we're doing OK we lose the manager! We'll probably go down again next year (though you can't say we're not used to it.)

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                            Seems to have done a reasonable job at WBA, though they're not England. But spare a thought for us poor Baggies supporters. Just when we're doing OK we lose the manager! We'll probably go down again next year (though you can't say we're not used to it.)
                            He has a tendency to do that - when he left Fulham it felt like a betrayal (he's out of contract at West Brom, though, I think). He also tends to leave clubs in good health and well-organised in all aspects (I gather his work at Fulham went well beyond the first and the senior teams) so I reckon you'll be OK .

Comment

• JFLL
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                              He has a tendency to do that - when he left Fulham it felt like a betrayal (he's out of contract at West Brom, though, I think). He also tends to leave clubs in good health and well-organised in all aspects (I gather his work at Fulham went well beyond the first and the senior teams) so I reckon you'll be OK .
                              Hope so, John! I don't follow football closely enough any more to say, really, but Roy H. does come across as a decent bloke, and always seems to go out of his way to have kind and sympathetic words to opposing sides and managers if (rarely enough, it's true) Albion have thrashed them. He's also reasonably articulate, which is refreshing.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                                • Nov 2010

If it is so, and RH gets it....it will be interesting who is in his 32, then 23 [?]....will the likes of Glenn Johnstone, Zamora, Fredinand, Micha Richards, Downing, Walcott be in it....

Lescott, Jag, Terry, Cahill to fight for centralD places....

Don't leave Rooney up front on his own ; like last night [nutty Sir alex}
                                bong ching

Comment

Working...
                                X