Clear All
  • scottycelt

... and yesterday the magnificent Jags thumped The Honest Men, 3-1
    Great day at the seaside ...!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Home advantage has always been an unfair advantage. Think only of the 1966 World Cup final. 2-2 after normal time. then the referee allowed England a very doubtful 3rd goal which [I]might[I] have crossed the line, and then one that even Geoff Hurst thought was scored after the final whistle.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        ... and yesterday the magnificent Jags thumped The Honest Men, 3-1
        Great day at the seaside ...!
        Forgive me Scotty, I really should include Partick Thistle in my list of 'teams to look out for'.
        And what a great nickname Ayr have for a football club, The Honest Men.
        I take it their players don't dive or 'owt like that!.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Forgive me Scotty, I really should include Partick Thistle in my list of 'teams to look out for'.

Thank you, Rob ... forum members should remember that 'the beautiful game' (in its most 'inclusive' sense) is also played 'professionally' north of the border ...

'The Honest Men' is a wonderful nickname, probably my favourite, but maybe not quite suitable for the modern game?

It was, I believe, a lyrical honour originally bestowed on the population of the township of Ayr, by Robert Burns, no less.
          He also described it as a town of 'bonnie lassies' (he was allegedly the most experienced judge of that, at least).

I do wonder if some of the long-suffering supporters of the local football club might not occasionally feel that the single noun of the latter might not be a rather more appropriate nickname ... ?

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

never knew that..........great trivia.
            interesting that portsmouth never sign players from Ayr.........
            And well done Partick. nice name, nice kit, and used to be my mates scottish team.......

looks like another sleepless night for me tonight........
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• scottycelt

'Trivia' it may be but it surely adds to the astounding wealth of knowledge already evident within this forum ...

'The Loons' is another of my all-time favourite team nicknames ... and supporters of Forfar Athletic might well be perfectly comfortable with that one.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

only meant "Trivia" in the sense of being a good one to use in an idle moment, or at the pub.

It would be interesting to know if fans actually use the name during matches !
                "The Loons" is certainly useable.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  only meant "Trivia" in the sense of being a good one to use in an idle moment, or at the pub.

It would be interesting to know if fans actually use the name during matches !
                  "The Loons" is certainly useable.
                  Another bit of trivia - today at Hillsborough is the clash of Owls - Ozzie v Chaddy - who'll be screeching loudest at the final whistle?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Mechanic required.

Comment

• scottycelt

Mechanic required.

Too late for one player, I'm afraid ... he's already been instructed to walk ...

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                        Fulham v Chelsea tomorrow. 3-1 to the Mighty Whites.
                        Chelsea's away kit is not white.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Good day for Owls, Saints and Magpies. Looking for a late-season turn in Rochdale's fortunes tomorrow.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

pLAY OFFS JUST POSSIBLE FOR fOXES AFTER ALL ??

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Good day for Owls, Saints and Magpies. Looking for a late-season turn in Rochdale's fortunes tomorrow.
                              Can't see Rochdale doing you any favours but you never know.
                              Normal service resumed for Stockport.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                pLAY OFFS JUST POSSIBLE FOR fOXES AFTER ALL ??
                                very possible.......and if you wouldn't mind beating WHU on your way, that would be awfully good of you !!

Top of League one is such a tough place.....Hudders are gone as far as the autos are concerned, another good day for the owls, they have good momentum.

A nice day out a Selhust for me. Best half time entertainment EVER !! they have cheerleaders. They actually look like they have practised. However, at HT the two Crystal Palace mascots, two giant fluffy Eagles , join in the fun and dancing and THEY have also practised, and the routine is pretty slick . on top of this, there is a live Eagle display guy, making a huge live eagle swoop around over the dancers. Just fantastic. Mrs TS, enjoying her annual away match, was convulsed with laughter.

Oh and the Saints were impressive, also,on the back of two disappointing results.
                                Last edited by teamsaint; 10-04-12, 15:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X