Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    #670....Perhaps a change of colours might help....blue and white hoops ????

Comment

• Beef Oven

A bad night for Drogba though - this might affect his Chelsea form.[/QUOTE]

Hope so.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        How recent is this? If it goes back to the 1980s, the reason could have been hats. Seriously. It was very common indeed then for red and green hats to be sold at Arsenal with Arsenal on one side and Celtic on the other. In fact, I wore one.

As a non-practicing C of E er it didn't seem at all crackers because of the Irish and Scots background of past players and the vibrant Irish music scene in North London of which I felt a part.

I believe similar hats were also available at other clubs at the time. No one really knew why they were ever on sale but they were popular and led to partial allegiances. Perhaps Rangers now need to do something similar with sympathetic clubs.
        It is certainly true that Celtic are now the much more 'fashionable' club but the reverse was the case when I was a boy. Rangers had more money, better players, and a far superior stadium, but all that has now changed, thanks, as John says, to the monetary input of Canadian-Scots millionaire, Fergus McCann.

Celtic's history and general ethos is also now much more in tune with the largely left-of-centre culture of modern Scottish society ... all in my humble opinion, of course. Those of immigrant stock are also more likely to support the Hoops which has the added bonus of spreading the name worldwide. I've seen boys wearing Celtic shirts in small villages in Northern Italy on quite a number of occasions.

Lat is right about those hats (and scarfs) at some English grounds. I also possess a book called Celtic United which explores the link between the Glasgow club and a certain other in Manchester. There is also, somewhat ironically these days, a strong connection with Liverpool FC!

Since McCann saved the club, it has been run on a much more commercial and successful level off the field and is now in the happy position of being on the verge of clearing all bank debt ... most unusual for a football club today?

Rangers now need to find the equivalent of a Fergus McCann, but, sadly for them in the current financial climate, that might prove to be virtually impossible ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

ah lateralthinking1 you went to Arsenal matches ..... aha .....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Am I being cynical, but it seems to me that Rangers' employees and suppliers will suffer, but the club will not, unless they are relegated, 10 points is hardly a punishment - they will still be 2nd! Someone who recognises the strength of the brand will get them for twopence halpefnny and it will be business as usual - this is not Stockport or Argyle or even Leeds, but there are parallels there, but Leeds had already fallen down two rungs of the ladder.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              Rangers now need to find the equivalent of a Fergus McCann, but, sadly for them in the current financial climate, that might prove to be virtually impossible ...
              It certainly looks impossible with Craig Whyte in charge - I think the euphemism is 'colourful character'. The expectation is that Revenues and Customs will play tough with Rangers and not let them duck neatly in to administration and back out again with their debts all cleared.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

KEN BATES as usual HATED by Leeds Utd supporters, due to lack of investment and selling young talented players....Big demonstration at this Saturdays match....there's a man who could not be dragged by a Centurion tank, who seems to get out of the wrong side of bed every morning....
                bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  KEN BATES as usual HATED by Leeds Utd supporters, due to lack of investment and selling young talented players....Big demonstration at this Saturdays match....there's a man who could not be dragged by a Centurion tank, who seems to get out of the wrong side of bed every morning....
                  I understand he's a master.......
                  As an Owl it is in my contract not to shed tears over Leeds!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    ah lateralthinking1 you went to Arsenal matches ..... aha .....
                    Yes, mainly the George Graham era though I first went in the early 1970s and still saw them quite a lot until 2007. Graham had the right idea - sturdy defences and a guaranteed 1-0. No flashy nonsense.

(I also spent many Saturday afternoons at Bootham (now Kitkat) Crescent - mainly 1980s - and supported YC at Wembley).
                    Last edited by Guest; 14-02-12, 15:46.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Lee Clarke sacked at 'udders.
                      Absolutely bonkers.
                      Who on earth do they think they will get who will be better?
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Absolutely bonkers.
                        Crazy decision.
                        And Arsenal have gone backwards judging by tonights boys against men showing.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Absolutely bonkers.
                          The impatience of chairman! The top end of Div 1 is tough, Huddersfield (and Owls) are currently going through rocky patches, and a result like losing to the Blunts can trigger a quick wrong decision. There's realistically, only one auto position up for grabs now and those playoffs are going to be nasty, with Stevenage possible form-team victors.

As for the next Huddersfield manage three with Yorkshire credentials:

Grayson?
                          Warnock?
                          McCarthy?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

(I also spent many Saturday afternoons at Bootham (now Kitkat) Crescent - mainly 1980s - and supported YC at Wembley).
                            I saw the legendary Ted McDougall (who once scored nine goals in an FA Cup tie ) play for Bournemouth at Bootham Crescent in about 1970. He was famous for staying loyal to Bournemouth in Div 3 for many years despite offers from top clubs.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              I saw the legendary Ted McDougall (who once scored nine goals in an FA Cup tie ) play for Bournemouth at Bootham Crescent in about 1970. He was famous for staying loyal to Bournemouth in Div 3 for many years despite offers from top clubs.
                              That was the first year I saw a match on television. The first live one was the year after but I went to very few of them in the 1970s. Boyer also went from York to Bournemouth. I'm hazy but I believe they had a good partnership.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

That was the first year I saw a match on television. The first live one was the year after but I went to very few of them in the 1970s. Boyer also went from York to Bournemouth. I'm hazy but I believe they had a good partnership.
                                They both had a spell at our place in the late 70's and did well.
                                Boyer was a real star for us , replacing Channon, leading us to promotion with Supermac, and scoring plenty of goals in his two seasons with us in the top flight.

Happy days those were at The Dell.
                                (not that we are complaining at the moment !!)
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X