X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Do any of you good Yorkies remember Arthur Bottom?
    a) no - Arthur Bottomley yes
    b) I'm not a Yorkie but did spend a year at the university 71/72 doing a PGCE. We went a few times to Bootham Crescent and felt like home fans. When Bournemouth were visitors we witnessed the return of the legendary prolific goal-scorer Ted MacDougall, an ex-York player, to his old home ground.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Eine - I was at the university. I went to school in jolly old Cwoydon, hence the very big need to leave for a real place.
      I see. But I notice you went back.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I see. But I notice you went back.
        Dragging and screaming. 1985 was a time of high unemployment, particularly in the north. The majority of my friends in York at that time were from Yorkshire, the Midlands and East Anglia. However, everyone ended up in and around London.

I don't go back to North Yorkshire anywhere near as often as I would like but I do go there from time to time. York felt like home to me from day one. It has changed a great deal but still retains that feeling for me as soon as I get off the train.

I have ties here but haven't ruled it out as home in the longer term. It is on "the list" along with places in the West Country*. But I really loved it - the history, the people - and still do. I made more sense there. Erm, anyhow, back to the football.........

(*And Scotland and Wales if England embarks on the killing off of old people)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Back in 1983-84 - the season when the Minstermen were the first team in England to get over 100 points
          I remember York winning 3-0 at Old Trafford (league cup early 90's ish ?).

No so long ago, it was Scarborough
          Was that the McCain stadium EA ? I remember travelling there to watch Stockport a few times.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            I remember York winning 3-0 at Old Trafford (league cup early 90's ish ?).

Was that the McCain stadium EA ? I remember travelling there to watch Stockport a few times.
            It was the McCain Stadium, but it's now derelict. (The newly formed Scarborough Athletic plays at Bridlington Town's ground.) Scarborough beat Chelsea at the McCain Stadium in a League Cup replay.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Scarborough beat Chelsea at the McCain Stadium in a League Cup replay.
              Yes I remember that too, late 80's I think. No 2004 just looked it up I thought it was longer ago than that
              Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 20-05-12, 21:41. Reason: checked date

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

I am already looking forward to West Ham taking some home pastings next season..

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I remember York winning 3-0 at Old Trafford (league cup early 90's ish ?)..
                  1995-96. Man Utd were punished for fielding a second rate team. York beat Arsenal in the FA Cup in 1985. QPR had already visited BC for the first leg of a League Cup match but they won 4-2, a match I attended. They then took John Byrne!

It looks like the Scarborough fan fell through the roof on their first day in Division 4 - 15 August 1987. Maybe he didn't die. There was though serious crowd trouble there. I think that is the crowd trouble shown at the start of this clip. It wasn't at Arsenal. All very bizarre when you consider how innocuous the old Scarborough stadium seemed.

I was on a Highbury roof on the same day watching Liverpool beat Arsenal 2-1. The clip shows after a couple of seconds others at Highbury as also having been on a high roof. That wasn't us. We were more sensible.* A bit of David Icke here too.

*(Just spotted us - Think I am in that crowd at 1 minute 02 - possibly front row, seated, second from the right).
                  Last edited by Guest; 20-05-12, 22:06.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

*(Just spotted us - Think I am in that crowd at 1 minute 02 - possibly front row, seated, second from the right).
                    On the news with David Icke, Lat? I cannot believe it!!!!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

It looks like the Scarborough fan fell through the roof on their first day in Division 4 - 15 August 1987. Maybe he didn't die. There was though serious crowd trouble there.
                      You are probably right, but I thought it was a Wolves fan who fell. I do remember the occasion as I was living in Scarborough at the time.

Comment

• burning dog
                        • Dec 2010

Capello for Liverpool is the latest story. Wouldn't Martinez be a bit of a gamble? Fabio has a great record as a club manager

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

That would be interesting, re Capello. MrsBBM would'nt mind Houlier back!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Dragging a bit this close season.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Dragging a bit this close season.
                              Not closed yet, still to decide how far we travel to Derby matches next season.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Oooops forgot about the play offs.
                                I'm used to wall to wall footy that's why.

Comment

Working...
                                X