Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... and similarly Chelsea now play in Fulham (rather than Chelsea), and Queens Park Rangers play in Hammersmith (rather than Queen's Park).
    Which is how this particular borough (of Hammersmith & Fulham) has ended up with three Premier footleball clubs
    I have lived in East London for just over 51 years, so can somone tell me where Battersea Power Station is? Been there thousands of times, but I am not sure of the name of the area. Is it legit for Chelsea to have their stadium there?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
      I have lived in East London for just over 51 years, so can somone tell me where Battersea Power Station is? Been there thousands of times, but I am not sure of the name of the area. Is it legit for Chelsea to have their stadium there?
      ... not legit 'cos it's sarf of the river, you mean?

I s'pose the Power Station must be in Wandsworth.
      But if Chelsea still call themselves "Chelsea" even tho' they are in Fulham, I s'pose they wd still be "Chelsea" if they were in Battersea/Wandsworth.

Did Wimbledon cease to be Wimbledon in Milton Keynes? ...

EDIT - well of course Wimbledon DID cease to be Wimbledon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_F.C.
      Last edited by vinteuil; 14-05-12, 16:22.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

How does a Manchester United fan push the cork back into a champagne bottle?

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... not legit 'cos it's sarf of the river, you mean?

I s'pose the Power Station must be in Wandsworth.
          But if Chelsea still call themselves "Chelsea" even tho' they are in Fulham, I s'pose they wd still be "Chelsea" if they were in Battersea/Wandsworth.

Did Wimbledon cease to be Wimbledon in Milton Keynes? ...
          Was a serious question - thanks for your answer.

The fact that it is south of the river totaly escaped my mind!!!

I don't think that the location of the ground (or the fan base) is important (he says as a 'cockney red'!!!).

Reading an article in the FT last week (I am terribly intelligent), I noticed Abraham et al were considering buying the place for a footie ground and wondered which borough it was in.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            I don't think that the location of the ground (or the fan base) is important (he says as a 'cockney red'!!!)
            Try saying that to an AFC Wimbledon supporter.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Try saying that to an AFC Wimbledon supporter.
              Ok, book the 'phone box and I will tell all four of them.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                Most of them aren't even English let alone Mancunian !
                The thought struck me that someone waking from a coma of several years to view the last few minutes of the CityvQPR match at the Ethiad Stadium - where's that? might think they were watching a match on foreign soil between two oversaes sides, such is the cosmopolitan nature of the rich Premier League.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

I see Webby was back in the united squad yesterday..........
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Maclintick
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    The thought struck me that someone waking from a coma of several years to view the last few minutes of the CityvQPR match at the Ethiad Stadium - where's that? might think they were watching a match on foreign soil between two oversaes sides, such is the cosmopolitan nature of the rich Premier League.
                    Spot-on, Cloughie. The Premiership is a global attraction that other sports can’t hope to match. Suck on that, so-called “World Series” ! Zillions of fans worldwide will have been thrilled by yesterday’s cliffhanger, with futbollistas in Latin America & Africa following the exploits of Toure, Rooney, et al. Outstanding, throughout the season, in no particular order -- Aguero, Scholes, Van Persie, Dempsey, Hart, Cisse,. Managerial heroes, also in no particular order: (1) Mancini -- deserves credit for coping with his erratically functioning yet brilliant charges. His substitutions yesterday were tactically astute. He may or may not have instructed Tevez to orchestrate the sending-off of the all-too-predictable Barton, but, hey, who cares ? Dzeko did the biz for no.2 & the lunatic Balotelli decided to do what he’s paid for, for once. (2) Ferguson – As ever. You can talk of Busby, Shankly, Paisley etc., till the cows come home, but no one will ever equal this guy’s record. (3) Alan Pardew – Who’d have thought it, after the Toons losing Andy Carroll & all ? Might have been a better choice than our Roy for the England job…. (4) David Moyes – 10th anniversary for the Toffees. Cliché is that he’s done it all on tuppence ha’penny. Not entirely true but a formidable organizer, & shoe-in for Sir Alex if & when he decides to call it a day. (5) Brendan Rogers – Dreamlike first season – the Swans have been a classy & effective addition to the Premiership under his tutelage. BW

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

he is a nice chap innit

Allez Les Bleus!!!!!!!
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• scottycelt

King Kenny sacked at Liverpool ... is nobody sacred these days?

Who on earth are they going to get to replace him, I wonder ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Mick McCarthy?

NB Rio Ferdinand not in England Squad
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post

Outrageous.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post

No doubt a big name profligate foreigner - it worked fro them before. Interesting scenario 18 months on Hodgson England manager whilst Kenny nurses a P45!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                No doubt a big name profligate foreigner - it worked fro them before. Interesting scenario 18 months on Hodgson England manager whilst Kenny nurses a P45!
                                As far as home managers are concerned, obvious current successes are a bit thin on the ground ... surely it won't be Moyes ... we don't want anymore of that Aston Villa/Birmingham puerile sort of local tribalism ... maybe Pardew? ... could be, could be!

Comment

Working...
                                X