X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Oh Edge, I'm glad of the break after The Suarez incident... I felt too down to watch much footy the last two days (glad to see the back of Capello though), and I still really feel more sadness than anger (at missing him, seemingly in fine form, from the World Cup and from LFC - and what must he be feeling now? ), never mind the confused disappointment about next season... (though I did enjoy the Specsavers' Chiellini/Cannelloni joke - quick on the draw or what?)

I though Martin Aguirre made some fresh sense of it in the Guardian today, it certainly provokes real thought amid the sea of moralising and condemnation...http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ruguay-winning

But now - hoping the South American double-bill on Saturday will lift my spirits. Lay in rations, it could be a long night... (so...if I make the salad before Colombia-Uruguay, give Mum hers then, maybe put a Poussin in to roast at half-time, and... extra-time and... how long do penalties take again...?)
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 27-06-14, 20:17.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

You really don't need footballers biting folk. But then you don't need all the awful , potentially career challenges that you see week after week in the PL.
      And you don't need a FIFA wide open on corruption..plenty of other bad behaviour out there.

Anyway, who needs Suarez when you have SRL and adam the llama? Need never worry about penalties again .still no complaints or back biting from us......

Enjoy the night off guys, some good close listening to recharge the batteries ,and round 0f 16 here we come.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Hey TS - so after last season's SAS we'll have the LAL... ? Or it might be the LOL...

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Hey TS - so after last season's SAS we'll have the LAL... ? Or it might be the LOL...
          Hope not, for your sake.

But If adam starts a game and gets subbed by lambert it will be ROFL.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Bit late in coming but I am glad that the US v Germany game, that both teams went through!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

More footie today!
              BBC1 1700 Brazil v Chile. ITV 2100 Colombia v Uruguay
              Last edited by Pianorak; 28-06-14, 10:45. Reason: ITV details
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                More footie today!
                BBC1 1700 Brazil v Chile. ITV 2100 ? v ?
                I'd like to see a new winner...Colombia for example have been terrific to watch...however now the Tournament's getting to the sharp end there are teams there who know how to hold their nerve, and guys who know how to win big games. I'm not convinced by Argentina or Germany but they have Messi and Muller. I think Brazil will struggle to get beyond Colombia unless they're going to change their team (which is a distinct possibility). Anyway the one team that has looked good in all departments from Goalie to upfront is France - the possibility of France/Germany in the quarters is quite tasty...repeat of this:

...can we get Connery back???
                Looking forward to the games today especially Colombia/Uruguay!
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 28-06-14, 10:42. Reason: ...much better than Phil Neville is Sean!

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Looking forward to the games today especially Colombia/Uruguay!
                  Indeed! Thanks for the info.
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Bit late in coming but I am glad that the US v Germany game, that both teams went through!
                    A bitter memory has come into head. In 1970 I was a student on my year abroad working as English assistant at a school in Bavaria. I was the only English person in large group of us enjoying Frankenwein and watching the England-Germany quarter-final match at someone's house. I was buoyant and probably gloating annoyingly as England went into a 2-0 lead, only to subside to a 3-2 defeat - Müller scoring, Bonetti blundering. Germany were the underdogs, believe it or not, and ever since that date the roles have been reserved. Despite (maybe as a result of) being married to a German, I can never bring myself to support Germany. Days later, Harold Wilson lost the General Election, after I had been going around saying there was no way Edward Heath would be Prime Minister. A surprise result, sometimes attributed at least in part to that football defeat.

Comment

• Anna

I was thinking that perhaps Germany (I do hope not) or Brazil might win but like jc I'd like to see a new winner so - I'm backing Belgium!! Very surprised at progress of USA which somehow makes England's efforts seem worse somehow ....

Comment

• Demetrius
                        • Sep 2011

Germany has its weaknesses - they come through the middle and the right, Left attacking and defense is slightly shoddy (mostly due to Höwedes, it just isn't his position) Özil is not at the top of his game, Klose is old, Schweinsteiger and Khedira are weakened which means Lahm in Center which in turn weakens the right defensive side. basically, the way to beat Germany is to draw out the game, keep Müller out of it (tough, the guy has this talent for being in the right place) and then attack on the wings.

If Chile takes out Brazil, the thing is wide open. Germany and Argentinia are too weak; I think the finals will be one of todays South-American teams or possibly France against the Dutch, with the Dutch or possibly Chile as Champions.
                        Last edited by Demetrius; 28-06-14, 12:34.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

I hope Nigeria win the world cup.
                          They are my team in the office sweep and Sir Bobby Charlton did say an African team would be world champions before the millennium.
                          Well he'd only be 14 years out,unless he meant the next millennium.

I've been impressed with Chile and could see them beating Brazil.
                          I suppose we will all be rooting for Algeria against Germany,remember the 'Nichtangriffspakt von Gijon' (1982).

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
                            keep Müller out of it (tough, the guy has this talent for being in the right place)
                            Demetrius, you reminded me of a great article by Barney Ronay in the Guardian last year about Muller.
                            Barney Ronay: Germany midfielder has invented his own role with a supernatural power to find space that is invisible to mere mortals

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Howard Webb. Views, anyone?
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Howard Webb. Views, anyone?
                                ask ER, Webbo is the United house ref.

(Though chile were lucky on the penalty shout though).

Like an old fashioned cup tie this one. Brazil's poor defending could spell trouble......

Comment

Working...
                                X