Clear All
  • Paul Sherratt

>>but there will scarce be a better one

But the last El Clasico was !!!!!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Teamsaint

I hope we get promotion this season but somehow think we will miss out in the play-offs. March will be a difficult month with so many away matches but I think the games games against Charlton and the away match at Bournemouth will be decisive. Brighton will easily go up and I fear that Bournemouth will gain the second position merely because there is no pressure or expectation with Lee Bradbury's team. I fel we were stronger last season and 2010/11 has been erratic with teams like Huddersfield and Exeter City swept away at St. Mary's whereas we lose to teams like Rochdale. Adkins seems an inspired choice as manager but if you believe the rumours regarding Pardew's departure, it has been necessary to pick up a pretty demotivated squad. I agree about Peterborough although I would have said Charlton look a good outside bet to be in the mix come May.

What can you say about Stockport County? My sister lives in Cheadle Hulme and I have been to Edgely Park on several occasions. I think you have to be dedicated to support a team who are so consistantly hopeless. They seem to lurch from disaster to disaster and their fans must be the most patient in the land. They have never been the same since Dave Jones left to join the Saints although I felt he was lucky to last as long as he did given that he was pretty poor during his time in charge. Even if he hadn't had the unsavory, false allegations to contend with, his days with us seemed limited and some of his signings were shocking. Any one remember Lee Todd who Jones brought down from Stockport with him? Absolute sh/te!! one of the worse players I have seen in a Saints kit. He only lasted a matter of months before he was out on his ears and Paul Jones in goal wasn't exactly a huge success.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Btw football fans, you do realise don't you, that all of this week's matches have merely been to
        warm you up to The Big Televised Match, tomorrow night ? ( 18/2/2011 )

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

Cherries chairman welcome Saint's officials in todays Daily Echo
          CHERRIES chairman Eddie Mitchell could have stirred up a hornets’ nest ahead of next month’s eagerly-awaited derby with Saints.

No problem with this article but in the hard copy of the Bournemouth edition the back page contained a picture of Le Tissier and McMenemy with the unfortunate headline

"You're Welcome in Dean Court Gents"

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

BD

I think Fratton Park gents would probably be a lot worse!

Comment

• scottycelt

Well, now it's official ...

Something unique happened to Stockport County manager Peter Ward last Saturday afternoon - he watched his team win. Later in the evening, towards the end of the BBC's Football League...

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                BD

I think Fratton Park gents would probably be a lot worse!
                They have a gents at fp??!! wonders never cease.

anyway, I'm still cautiously optimistic that we can finish in the top two. I agree that BHA have walked the walk, and will probably finish top.

Second is up for grabs.If we can do well in the big games at BHA , bompey and Charlton, I think we can finish strongly with our big squad and the pitches improving. However, as you say, the pressure is really on us, as we have shown in recent performances. Tomorrow is a big game... AGAIN !!
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  I hope that they do just that, but more importantly to me , ''will Stockport County manage to stay in the football league this season?''
                  Stockport County was the first team I ever saw live. Indeed, I went to Edgeley Park as often as I could when they played on Friday evenings during the 1960s. Friday night matches were a success, as it avoided clashing with the Manchester clubs on Saturdays (Maine Road was only about 5 miles away). At only 5 shillings a match, it was quite possible to see both clubs play on consecutive days. Stockport had to survive re-election to the league in that era, but that isn't an option any more, so I'm hoping for a miracle now.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Stockport County was the first team I ever saw live. Indeed, I went to Edgeley Park as often as I could when they played on Friday evenings during the 1960s. Friday night matches were a success, as it avoided clashing with the Manchester clubs on Saturdays (Maine Road was only about 5 miles away). At only 5 shillings a match, it was quite possible to see both clubs play on consecutive days. Stockport had to survive re-election to the league in that era, but that isn't an option any more, so I'm hoping for a miracle now.
                    I started watching them in the late 60's. Friday night is County night I think was the slogan in those days.
                    I can't remember why they stopped Friday night matches. Maybe something to do wth the pools people?.
                    Miracles can happen!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                      Teamsaint

I hope we get promotion this season but somehow think we will miss out in the play-offs. March will be a difficult month with so many away matches but I think the games games against Charlton and the away match at Bournemouth will be decisive. Brighton will easily go up and I fear that Bournemouth will gain the second position merely because there is no pressure or expectation with Lee Bradbury's team. I fel we were stronger last season and 2010/11 has been erratic with teams like Huddersfield and Exeter City swept away at St. Mary's whereas we lose to teams like Rochdale. Adkins seems an inspired choice as manager but if you believe the rumours regarding Pardew's departure, it has been necessary to pick up a pretty demotivated squad. I agree about Peterborough although I would have said Charlton look a good outside bet to be in the mix come May.

What can you say about Stockport County? My sister lives in Cheadle Hulme and I have been to Edgely Park on several occasions. I think you have to be dedicated to support a team who are so consistantly hopeless. They seem to lurch from disaster to disaster and their fans must be the most patient in the land. They have never been the same since Dave Jones left to join the Saints although I felt he was lucky to last as long as he did given that he was pretty poor during his time in charge. Even if he hadn't had the unsavory, false allegations to contend with, his days with us seemed limited and some of his signings were shocking. Any one remember Lee Todd who Jones brought down from Stockport with him? Absolute sh/te!! one of the worse players I have seen in a Saints kit. He only lasted a matter of months before he was out on his ears and Paul Jones in goal wasn't exactly a huge success.
                      Lee Todd, Good player for us but certainly wasn't good enough for a move as big as that!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

... the replay between Chelsea and Everton is a match with a lot riding on it, both are having poor seasons and seem to be drained of their élan and verve .... when it comes to Chelski [club of my childhood and i am astonished at how the bond holds even now] we all know who to blame don't we Roman ... typical of a somewhat megalomaniac personality to sack Wilkins within weeks of Ancelotti's father's death [he has dressed in all black ever since] ... Wilkins was not just liked by the people, he was essential for oiling the wheels, mollifying the sting, encouraging the doubters and making things clear with sensitivity to the egos of the players and staff ... what on earth he did to upset the Tsar is a mystery .... but the team have been low and poor since he went .... and the manager's personal distress is no longer offset ... and then there is that unknown quantity with a reputation in youth football who sits on the manager's bench but is not allowed near the team .....

psychologically this match has the character of a relegation decider, or combat to death in the galdiatorial arena ...

growing up in central lunnun, as a nipper i always wondered where the North began; when i moved to High Barnet i found the last house and then fields and realised it was there that the great strangeness commenced .... used to go to the odd match at Barnet, but they were always slaughtered by the likes of Telford back in the late 60s ..... now i would go and see the Foxes but they are the wrong blues....
                        Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 19-02-11, 12:36. Reason: spelling oh dear etc and an afterthought
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I started watching them in the late 60's. Friday night is County night I think was the slogan in those days.
                          I can't remember why they stopped Friday night matches. Maybe something to do wth the pools people?.
                          Miracles can happen!
                          Which was your first match? Mine was Stockport County v. Crewe, in the season when County were Division 4 champions. But they only managed a draw that day. But that was nothing to the final game of the season, when Stockport were presented with the trophy; they played bottom club, Lincoln City, and lost 4-5.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

My memory is not good these days but I remember being at a 4-0 home defeat to Oxford in the last home game of the 67-68 season.
                            I'm sure I went to another couple of games previously that season but looking through the SCFC complete record none of the fixtures ring any bells.
                            Attended pretty much regularly from the following season and had a season ticket for many years and also went for to most away games.
                            Seen some rubbish over the years but also some great times.The Wembley finals especially the most recent (although it seems we were living beyond our means to acheive that).
                            These days pick and choose the games,the season ticket was given up when we went into administration.My son is an avid fan and goes to most games usually returning home in a mood.Off to the big Cheshire derby now (I live 15 mins walk from the ground).Hope it's not sold out

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Which was your first match? :
                              Never attended a Match (unless you include a Rugby à 7 match in Cavaillon in 1970) - but as I live 100 yards from Loftus Rd I have by osmosis a certain passing interest in QPR... after the chagrin of demotion in the 1990s, things currently looking promising...

Comment

• John Wright
                                • Mar 2007

Maybe mine is the only 'football family' on the forum?

In the family we have one professional, one amateur, and I used to run the line for local youth teams

Oh, and I reffed two work-related games - felt so proud going into a sports shop to buy myself a whistle!

Oh and I was 'the fan in the studio' on BBC WM one night.

Not going to game today as weather is awful and the pitch will be a mudbath; it'll be a poor-passing-long-ball game.
                                - - -

John W

Comment

Working...
                                X