The Round Ball Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnSkelton

The referee did the Atlético Madrid v Fulham Europa League final.

He hasn't improved. Roy's England's problem is playing Ukraine last, when that could be the crucial result for Ukraine. Otherwise it was OK, though I thought Ashley Young was a bit clueless. Or very clueless, even.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

yes Ukraine fixture will be a challenge but if we can't beat em what is all about eh ...
      thought Schevchenko played much better than he did for Chelsea!

roy was ever so tactful about the ref [woeful]
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Poland v Russia.
        This is a fascinating game,lots of edge ,atmosphere and some decent football from the impressive Russians.
        The boy Arshavin looks a great player,much better than his twin brother who Arsenal signed a few years ago.
        Poland equaliser,a thing of beauty.Game on.
        Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 12-06-12, 21:01.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Poland v Russia.
          This is a fascinating game,lots of edge ,atmosphere and some decent football from the impressive Russians.
          The boy Arshavin looks a great player,much better than his twin brother who Arsenal signed a few years ago.
          Poland equaliser,a thing of beauty.Game on.
          No, Rob, although the Arshavins are almost identical (!), the twin brother of "the Arsenal Arshavin" (historically) is Nicolas Anelka.*

I have dipped in and out of this match but I did see the equaliser and it was excellent.
          Last edited by Guest; 13-06-12, 09:29. Reason: *An awful lot of money and a lot of disappointment

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

The clue to which Arshavin it was, can be seen by what happened after he lost the ball seconds before Poland scored....Arshavin is still in the Poland goal area facing the wrong way with his shoulders slumped in a most cartoon comical way....seemingly needing some of those monkey glands that Scott Parker surely uses.....
            bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

one trick pony?
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

there you were just cleared of bungs and tax dodging etc and in the public frame for the big job and riding high in the premiership and here you are sacked for finishing fourth, you did not get the big job and the fans are being a bit spiteful ....poor Harry neither hype nor ignominy seem deserved

in the t'graf

In his first full season in charge Redknapp guided Spurs to fourth position, taking them into the Champions League for the first time.

Spurs played some exhilarating football on their way to the quarter-finals, before being knocked out by Real Madrid.

Since then Redknapp has twice failed to secure Champions League football at White Hart Lane, albeit with a touch of misfortune this season as Chelsea snatched the last available place away from them.

That capped a dramatic season for Redknapp, who underwent a heart procedure in November, was cleared of tax evasion in February and missed out on the England job in May.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  there you were just cleared of bungs and tax dodging etc and in the public frame for the big job and riding high in the premiership and here you are sacked for finishing fourth, you did not get the big job and the fans are being a bit spiteful ....poor Harry neither hype nor ignominy seem deserved
                  Difficult situation to read. Lack of confidence in improving on Tottenham's performance in one year? Mainly in it for the money? An acceptance that he will never be England manager? Or one eye on Trappatoni at 73 with a belief that he is still in with a chance and actually has a better chance if he does nothing for a while?

The Germans looked very impressive last night but it was still for me A- rather than A+. By rights, they will win this tournament on current showing but it isn't unequivocally clear cut.

The Dutch are quite good but a bit over-the-hill as indicated by Robben's odd little drama. They are also ludicrously hyped on the basis of 20-40 year old history. Van Persie's performance was typical - nothing for a long time and then one brilliant moment.

As for the temperament of the German Podolski, yep, it could be yet another bad move in the markets from AW. But I can't see me taking to the Premiership much next season. This latest deal money-wise is absolutely grotesque.
                  Last edited by Guest; 14-06-12, 12:39.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    The Germans looked very impressive last night but it was still for me A- rather than A+.
                    The Dutch are quite good but a bit over-the-hill as indicated by Robben's odd little drama.
                    For me, the result last night said more about the Dutch than the Germans. Robben has always been overrated for me – if anyone is a one trick pony it is he, and his little strop surprised me none. What was interesting was the complete lack of reaction from the supporters in orange as he passed them – which is almost the only pass that he’s made in the two games so far. They’ve got some good players but believe their own hype. I think the Portugese will be too good for them The Germans are strong but will they get stronger? I still think the Spanish will crowd them out in the end.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Germany are looking very effecient.
                      Good luck Ireland tonight (the biggest of big asks according to a pundit on TalkSport).

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Germany are looking very effecient.
                        Good luck Ireland tonight (the biggest of big asks according to a pundit on TalkSport).
                        you have been listening to talksport?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          you have been listening to talksport?
                          Guilty secret.
                          They have got live commentary on all the Euro games though so I tuned in on my way home from work.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Ireland are chasing shadows in a very one sided game,which is a shame.
                            Torres looing like the Player Liverpool signed.
                            The Irish fans still partying though.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Rain? that's rain!
                              France v Ukraine suspended for an hour due to a unbelievable storm.
                              England now kicking off at 8.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Rain? that's rain!
                                France v Ukraine suspended for an hour due to a unbelievable storm.
                                England now kicking off at 8.
                                That storm was amazing. Felt very disappointed for the Irish yesterday. Even more so today when my excellent Irish dentist saw me for the second time in a year as an emergency and again immediately put an end to 72 hours of excruciating pain. Can't say that I was quite expecting the removal of a wisdom tooth by 10am but I'm so glad it happened.

Fears that the England performance would also be like extracting teeth were unfounded. Instead we had a match that was exciting and turgid (?) at the same time. Didn't know such a combination was possible but it has been that sort of day. Well done Theo, well done Welbeck, and very well done Roy Hodgson. Absolutely delighted with the result.
                                Last edited by Guest; 15-06-12, 22:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X