X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    So, is the game now solely centred on defence - to stop people scoring - rather than attack and getting goals??
    With fantasy football seemingly less and less likely to win trophies (Arsenal,Barcelona) perhaps there is going to more of a tendency to park the bus,or even.....

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Hodgson's Pep Talk - 'Don't Con Me and The Nation'

.....and so with six words, it is clear. It is not do or die. It's be a true hero or else a rogue trader in the public eye.

The stakes have been raised.

Roy Hodgson has challenged his England players “not to let the nation down’’ at Euro 2012, which starts for England against France in Donetsk on Monday.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-06-12, 18:38. Reason: Tough management for millionaires; a more caring style for normal people

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I can't believe I an about to say what I am going to say:-

This tine the European Championships has'nt grabbed me at all.I am feeling quite apathetic about the whole thing. Wether it's becausae the last World Cup put the dampers on things, or the media coverage of ante-semettism, or the Rio Ferdinand/John Terry argvuement, it just seems different this time. Do anyother people think like this?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

It's better than Midsomer Murders, Casaulty, Britains Got Talent etc....Croatia for the Cup....
          bong ching

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            I can't believe I an about to say what I am going to say:-

This tine the European Championships has'nt grabbed me at all.I am feeling quite apathetic about the whole thing. Wether it's becausae the last World Cup put the dampers on things, or the media coverage of ante-semettism, or the Rio Ferdinand/John Terry argvuement, it just seems different this time. Do anyother people think like this?
            Yes I can see that Bbm. Plus it comes just after the Jubilee and before the Olympics with Wimbledon just before those, not to mention the rain and the recession. But the last World Cup was almost completely lost on me as it came at the start of a very difficult period. Ever since, I have hardly watched any television, let alone football.

But having given the first few matches a miss, I did watch most of Italy v Spain yesterday and all of Ireland v Croatia. I enjoyed them more than I expected although it was a bit like going back to a place that had changed a lot. It all felt like a mixture of the well known and the very distant. It wasn't 'my' or 'our' club as it used to be.

I do though see the appointment of Hodgson as a good thing. I also like the fact that new players are coming in and they all seem to have indistinct personalities. It was all getting a bit celeb for my liking so it feels like a new - if not an ever so exciting - start.

The adverts in particular seem like they are designed for another country. They are full of puppets aimed at the youth market and are mostly for betting which wasn't permitted some years ago. Of course, I've aged but they really don't speak to me at all. Still, there is the familiar sight of Terry Venables raking in the money on many and that did help me to become acclimatised.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              This tine the European Championships has'nt grabbed me at all.I am feeling quite apathetic about the whole thing. Do anyother people think like this?
              Don't worry Bbm. It's just that sense of realism that us Scots got about twenty years ago that you're just turning up at these events to get stuffed. The Scots got sense and don't bother turning up any more. We know everyone wants us there but we've got other nets to knock a ball over the top of these days.
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 11-06-12, 11:38. Reason: improper use of emoticons!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

jaded agree bbm but context matters as well .... the league battles the champions League, not to mention the Diamond Jubithingy, W Indies Tour and upcoming Olympics dim the attraction a tad or two i find .... all too much and anotyher game of rather boring locked midfields etc ...

but the Italy Spain match was pretty good value ... and England in a few minutes ... be a blessed relief if we lost to France ... do not get my hope up England, that is what kills ...
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

........1-1 and workmanlike. Not quite dull enough but I was very, very, pleased with it. The referee though was biased.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    ........1-1 and workmanlike. Not quite dull enough but I was very, very, pleased with it. The referee though was biased.
                    I wondered, for a while, if the Ref had strayed in from Rugby Union, aka Wayne 'Should have gone to Specsavers' Barnes.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      poor ref..surprisingly good stuff from England.
                      Might even make it out of the group.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

I was quite impressed with England,this was potentially the toughest of the 3 games and I don't think we really looked like losing it.
                        What is it with these refs though.
                        Oh and isn't ITV coverage the pits?
                        Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 11-06-12, 19:25. Reason: afterthought

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Don't worry Bbm. It's just that sense of realism that us Scots got about twenty years ago that you're just turning up at these events to get stuffed. The Scots got sense and don't bother turning up any more. We know everyone wants us there but we've got other nets to knock a ball over the top of these days.
                          Yes, John, I've thought much the same for some time ... I wish we would occasionally bother to turn up again, though ... The English just haven't got what it takes, I'm afraid ... a meek 1-1 draw against France is utterly pathetic ... there is no nation on earth that would have got stuffed more gloriously than us ...

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            I was quite impressed with England,this was potentially the toughest of the 3 games and I don't think we really looked like losing it.
                            What is it with these refs though.
                            Oh and isn't ITV coverage the pits?
                            I realised how poor ITV coverage when it struck me that Andy "ungrateful" Townsend is the best, or least bad aspect of their coverage....
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                              Yes, John, I've thought much the same for some time ... I wish we would occasionally bother to turn up again, though ... The English just haven't got what it takes, I'm afraid ... a meek 1-1 draw against France is utterly pathetic ... there is no nation on earth that would have got stuffed more gloriously than us ...
                              Oh we live in hope, Scotty..... though we got a right good going over by the yanks a week or two back

- where's a repecharge when you need one?
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 11-06-12, 22:34. Reason: ....that's a good idea - a repecharge - would blatter buy that?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                I realised how poor ITV coverage when it struck me that Andy "ungrateful" Townsend is the best, or least bad aspect of their coverage....
                                Yes poor. Saw most of the first half of the last one (on the BBC) plus highlights. Tremendous performance by Shevchenko, not now far off 36. Was pleased for him. A good bloke, even if their regime is hardly wonderful. Ukraine goalkeeper suspect though and Sweden not that terrific. England could easily lose to either team and, equally, could easily beat both.

I quite like this situation of not expecting too much in that way frequently enjoyed by our neighbours. It could take us to the final.

Last edited by Guest; 11-06-12, 22:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X