X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

indeed lat but do you not think we might just need a little elan, joie de vivre or pizzazz even in our first fixture?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• pilamenon
      • Nov 2010

Not very original, I know, but expect Spain to win decisively - they are the best team in the world, so favouritism is justified, and unless their nation's economic woes have had a psychological impact, they should be supremely confident.

I came to loathe the Netherlands team in South Africa and would be surprised if they have totally overcome the cynicism they displayed there - I sincerely hope they don't win. I'd rate Germany a bigger danger - they are probably still improving. Russia looked good last night, but are likely to fold under greater pressure.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        indeed lat but do you not think we might just need a little elan, joie de vivre or pizzazz even in our first fixture?
        Er, you do realise, Calum, I had nothing but good to say of George Graham's management style at Arsenal?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
          I came to loathe the Netherlands team in South Africa and would be surprised if they have totally overcome the cynicism they displayed there - I sincerely hope they don't win.
          I felt much the same way, but in retrospect I can understand anyone "losing it" after being subjected to 3 weeks of vuvuzelas. I suspect that the intolerable noise led to many strange things happening in that tournament, including Spain's bad start, and the beginning of Torres's lean two years. (Not to mention the incompetent refereeing that denied Lampard his goal against Germany.)

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

The last World Cup was just an awful tournament, best forgotten.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Er, you do realise, Calum, I had nothing but good to say of George Graham's management style at Arsenal?

er ditto lat ditto .....
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Cracking header from Gomez for the Giirmans,they don't look impressive though.Early days I know.
                Now they are starting to play.
                Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 09-06-12, 21:23. Reason: what a difference a goal makes !

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

beware they peak much nearer the finals ...[the German Team that is] ... thought the Dutch were woeful and will now cheer Denmark on

Comment

• Anna

I am not a follower of football, except the later stages of the World Cup, but I did watch the Holland v Denmark game and a bit of Germany v Portugal. What puzzles me and what strikes me, and ok not a lot of matches have been played, is that only one team (Russia) has scored more than one goal. So, is the game now solely centred on defence - to stop people scoring - rather than attack and getting goals??

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
                      Russia looked good last night, but are likely to fold under greater pressure.
                      Ah "not much fun in Stalingrad" all over again

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

2.6 average per game

too much info but still interesting

Comment

• Anna

Thanks Calum, although I think lack of goals not very exciting I shall view future matches as balletic performances and admire the technique! I am, I must confess, looking forward to the Germany v Holland match. What a shame Paul the psychic octopus died so young!!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

ahem Anna ... this may not appeal on your side of the hills but England have a fairly important match on Monday .... against the French! [at 5pm live on ITV1]

Comment

• Anna

ahem Anna ... this may not appeal on your side of the hills but England have a fairly important match on Monday .... against the French! [at 5pm live on ITV1]
                              Oh, I do intend to watch that! I remember, World Cup, England v Morocco was it? Where Rooney launched into expletives deleted? Hilarious match. But, under Roy Hodgson, surely the England squad are now motivated and focussed? I expect great things of them!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

1-0 would do it!

Comment

Working...
                                X