X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Wow!! That's amazing, it looks like an African tribal shield, you are lucky.
    I do hope you're going to report sightings to the Butterfly Count (there's a box for other species) because I see on their page:
    Although not one of the 'target' species for big butterfly count, many of you kindly let us know about your sightings of this spectacular moth which flies by day and at night. Jersey Tigers have traditionally been confined to south Devon and the Channel Islands, but in recent years they've expanded their range in the West Country and also become established on the Sussex coast and the Isle of Wight. There had also been a few sightings in Forest Hill, south London, much to the surprise of experts. However, big butterfly counters recorded a substantial increase in London in 2010. Jersey Tigers were reported much more widely in the south London suburbs, from Thornton Heath right up to Kennington, just a few streets away from The Oval cricket ground and a stone’s throw from the River; the moth is clearly spreading its wings and establishing itself further afield.
    I suspect they've established a colony right by you!
    This is it, Anna! Maybe that fearsome appearance is letting them in. There's one conveniently on the outside of this very window, showing me its orange undergarments! maybe if I post these links to friends I'll get a few visitors!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I meant to post that I shared your joy at identifying the stranger - very satisfying!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Sad that the last day of the butterly count coincides with the wettest weather of the Summer so far; I've really enjoyed and benefited from these quarter-hour sessions, even though the most exotic thing I've seen was a single Holly Blue. Whites, Peacocks, Painted Ladies, Red Admirals and Tortoiseshells a-plenty, though.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X