John Amis (1922-2013)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oliver

He is the tenor soloist on one of my favourite (now battered) LPs- Herrmann's Moby Dick. An under-rated work in my view. And this Unicorn recording - no longer available- is infinitely better than the recent (and very tame) Chandos one from Copenhagen.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

And could this thread be merged with the other John Amis thread please?
      Done.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

Before you do, could you please share it with us, shb?

John Pritchard was due to receive a gong at Buck House, but this also coincided with he and his partner heading for a vacation in their French house. They resolved then to attend the investiture and continue afterwards on their drive down to Dover. Consequently, the car boot was crammed with various supplies including a large supply of toilet paper as they didn't care for the local variety.

Anyway, at the gates of Buckingham Palace they are halted by a police officer for a security check.

"No need to leave the car, sir, but if I could have the keys just to check inside your boot," says the constable.

Pritchard duly obliges and after a perfunctory inspection the officer comes back with the keys ... "Thank you, sir. Particularly nervous about the occasion are we?!"

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
          He is the tenor soloist on one of my favourite (now battered) LPs- Herrmann's Moby Dick. An under-rated work in my view. And this Unicorn recording - no longer available- is infinitely better than the recent (and very tame) Chandos one from Copenhagen.
          How interesting to hear .

On a tangent have you heard this performance Oliver

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
            John Pritchard was due to receive a gong at Buck House, but this also coincided with he and his partner heading for a vacation in their French house. They resolved then to attend the investiture and continue afterwards on their drive down to Dover. Consequently, the car boot was crammed with various supplies including a large supply of toilet paper as they didn't care for the local variety.

Anyway, at the gates of Buckingham Palace they are halted by a police officer for a security check.

"No need to leave the car, sir, but if I could have the keys just to check inside your boot," says the constable.

Pritchard duly obliges and after a perfunctory inspection the officer comes back with the keys ... "Thank you, sir. Particularly nervous about the occasion are we?!"
            Lovely story, shb and nicely told - many thanks!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post

I feel so lucky to have taped broadcasts which include John Amis talking about various composers, including Warlock and Moeran iirc (must check) but in particular Alan Bush, in which he gave a perfect imitation of Bush's slightly croaky upper class way of speaking. I imagine John to be someone one would never forget inviting to dinner, keeping everyone enthralled with his reminiscences of eras we'll never have known.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                • Dec 2012

Very sad news. Had many a good time with John at Dartington in my student days, and on several occasions over the years, including him narrating in a Cantata of mine. I last heard him speak giving the eulogy at George Malcolm's funeral. A great performance as always!

Yes BBC, PLEASE make available those many interviews he did - i dont think I heard any of them. His books are very entertaining though and highly recommended. Thanks John.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Lovely story, shb and nicely told - many thanks!
                  Lovely! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X