X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lancashire Lass View Post
    Bet Uncle Harry's pleased. Probably working out how soon he can take the little fella clubbing ...
    Yes, he's probably already ordered the mini Nazi uniform.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Lancashire Lass View Post
      ...Also if it had been a girl, we'd have never heard the end of it from Cameron and Clegg claiming to have made royal women equal...
      Except that a girl would still have been third in line to the throne under the previous system, so Cameron can't take any credit (or couldn't have, if it had been a girl) - but of course that would have all changed if there'd been a subsequent boy.

Comment

• Boilk
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        Am I the only member to be relieved that it's a boy? All this irritating feminist sexist talk in the media about how wonderful it would be if it were a girl following the recent changes to succession laws.
        Agreed about the boy thing. Since we have this whole anomalous Royal Family thing being extended into the 21st century, we should retain its equally anomalous customs and long-standing traditions - including the male accession thingy - to at least claim an ongoing 'authenticity' of the whole Royal pantomime.

This country seems to be sleepwalking from one joyous distraction to another (Royal wedding 2012, Diamond Jubilee, Olympics, Murray at Wimbledon, new Royal Baby, etc.) Heaven forbid we wake up to learn we are in fact deeper in debt than either Ireland or Greece (taking into account private debt). I wonder what the next distraction will be?

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
          I wonder what the next distraction will be?
          I think the next scheduled distractions are the world cup and the commonwealth games.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
            This country seems to be sleepwalking from one joyous distraction to another (Royal wedding 2012, Diamond Jubilee, Olympics, Murray at Wimbledon, new Royal Baby, etc.) Heaven forbid we wake up to learn we are in fact deeper in debt than either Ireland or Greece (taking into account private debt). I wonder what the next distraction will be?
            I thought the olympics were supposed to have helped the economy [don't know how]
            The UK economy has seen a £9.9bn boost in trade and investment from hosting the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, research suggests.
            Last edited by mercia; 23-07-13, 08:13.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              No. I am very disappointed it was not a girl
              So am I.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                I think the next scheduled distractions are the world cup and the commonwealth games.
                I can easily live with those, mangerton!

The real distraction for me will be that proposed EU referendum when. whatever the result, there is as much chance of the UK actually leaving the EU as Partick Thistle winning the Champions' League.

Comment

• Beef Oven

The real distraction for me will be that proposed EU referendum when. whatever the result, there is as much chance of the UK actually leaving the EU as Partick Thistle winning the Champions' League.
                  Governments only call referendums when they know they can win. It'll be a damp squib.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Isn't there going to be another referendum rather closer to home before that one, scotty?(!)...

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                      So am I.
                      My thoughta are briefly with the child's late grandmother,Diana. The second 40 years of my life seem to have passed so quickly and it 's hard to imagine Diana in that role.

I can remember the Birthday Suite for Prince Charles in 1948. In spite of other views here it was originally by Howells, Jacob and Tippett.

Who will write music for the new royal baby ?

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        My thoughta are briefly with the child's late grandmother,Diana. The second 40 years of my life seem to have passed so quickly and it 's hard to imagine Diana in that role.

I can remember the Birthday Suite for Prince Charles in 1948. In spite of other views here it was originally by Howells, Jacob and Tippett.

The question has already been asked hereabouts as to whether Sir Peter will be called upon to compose a ditty, though no answer has yet been forthcoming...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I think he should write his own, as soon as he is old enough. There is a sort-of large marimba/vibraphone installation set up in the nearby Horniman (sic) Museum, which anybody can have a go on - very popular with tots and specially tuned to just one pentatonic scale, so as not to disturb pleasure-seekers or upset nearby residents with any nasty semitones.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I went to the Horniman Museum yonks ago S_A to see Malcolm Sargent open an exhibition of instruments presented by ???[name has gone] Maybe Adam Carse?

Malcolm had a go at the Serpent, made a horrible noise but a lovely photo. I've always intended to visit that museum again,but,you know how it is

Comment

• Boilk
                              • Dec 2010

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Elton John? (Sorry, SIR Elton John)

Comment

Working...
                                X