If the Royal baby is a girl, should the name 'Jacinta' be one of its names?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
    Oooh!! Flossy, you are a one!! I assume they've already put him down for Eton and the Guards anyway, just to be sure.
    Not that that approach always works

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      hope you had some money on that Anna !
      Well mercia - when I went to the bookies to place my bet on the exact names - it was refused because they said I had insider knowledge!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Selwyn?

[Rather than re-name the thread, I've moved it to Platform 3, since the underlying idea no longer applies]
        After the former Foreign Secretary and Speaker or Bill Maynard's splendid TV character?

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Well mercia - when I went to the bookies to place my bet on the exact names - it was refused because they said I had insider knowledge!!
          Now who's making throwaway remarks?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
            George Alexander Louis, apparently. Very predictable, but I quite like it.
            Imagine that on your Cash's name-tapes

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              After the former Foreign Secretary and Speaker or Bill Maynard's splendid TV character?
              In context, the Cambridge College.

King Selwyn I (and Last). I was convinced that they'd announced it already - Hugo. But it seems I dreamt it.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Oh, it is George.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Alexander presumably after Alexander's Ragtime Band, and Louis after Louis Armstrong, because it couldn't possibly be intended to snub all the Francophobes.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Alexander presumably after Alexander's Ragtime Band, and Louis after Louis Armstrong, because it couldn't possibly be intended to snub all the Francophobes.
                    I assumed it was Alexander after the cocktail used to aid the conception and Louis after the well-known multi-coloured marzipan teatime treat

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I assumed it was Alexander after the cocktail used to aid the conception and Louis after the well-known multi-coloured marzipan teatime treat
                      In retrospect, I think I prefer your take on the names to mine, Ams.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        In retrospect, I think I prefer your take on the names to mine, Ams.
                        It shows you just how much republican members know about these things ...

Scotland had three kings called Alexander and and the name was clearly chosen in acknowledgement of Alex Salmond declaring that the Scots would retain the royal connection after regaining 'independence'. Scots share a love of the name with the Greeks and also, of course, the same patron saint, Andrew. In recent weeks they appeared to have shared quite a bit of the sun as well.

Furthermore, it is also the year of the retirement of the great Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson and Prince William, bless him, is a huge football fan and indeed FA President.

All these simple facts appear to have been quite lost on the BBC and the rest of the media. Predictably, in these strange times, they appear to be rather more concerned about the lovely Kate's perfectly natural 'post-baby bump'.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

if the Louis comes from the Battenberg side of the family, they were Ludwigs up to the twentieth century (according to wikipedia)
                          or it could be from the Hesse side, but they were really Ludwigs too
                          Last edited by mercia; 25-07-13, 08:58.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                            • Nov 2010

The Queen's middle names are Alexandra Mary, so I suspect Alexander is partly because of that.

Comment

• greenilex
                              • Nov 2010

I assume someone has noticed that the initials spell GAL?

So William can sing about "me and my gal"?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                                It shows you just how much republican members know about these things ...
                                Want to know scotty - important difference

Comment

Working...
                                X