Hot weather - will we have water restrictions this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Hot weather - will we have water restrictions this year?

No sign of any change in the hot weather in the UK for a week or two more. Will the water supplies hold out?

Are we heading for hosepipe bans?
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Down here in the (hitherto!) wet SW, the reservoirs are very noticeably still tending to the over-full (some shoreside trees still in the water last time I looked just a few weeks ago). One may hope that after so many useless summers in these parts the 'emmets' will have already booked for the Med and not come rushing down to rob of us of our hard-earned surpluses
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

No problems with water here. I think it will be one of Scotland's exports once we're independent.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        No problems with water here. I think it will be one of Scotland's exports once we're independent.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Certainly will, and no problems with transportation, as it's downhill all the way. Not only that, it's exceptionally good quality water.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
            Not only that, it's exceptionally good quality water.
            I had a dram of Lagavulin after dinner, and heartily agree.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

I'm surprised that the announcement of hosepipe bans, standpipe supplies and the rest did not commence after a couple of days of clement weather here in the Brutish Isles, frankly, just as one would expect to hear flood warnings after a few hours of heavy downpours anywhere therein...

The quality of water from my homeland is, however, something with which I agree entirely! - and a dram of Lagavulin seems to be one of the best ways with which to prove this if proof were needed...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                Certainly will, and no problems with transportation, as it's downhill all the way. Not only that, it's exceptionally good quality water.
                Absolutely - it's only been drunk once, unlike London's, which has been drunk several times.

('drunk' doesn't seem to be quite the right word here, but I don't know what alternative there is - 'imbibed', perhaps?)

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Absolutely - it's only been drunk once, unlike London's, which has been drunk several times.

('drunk' doesn't seem to be quite the right word here, but I don't know what alternative there is - 'imbibed', perhaps?)
                  I know what you mean. 'Drunk' is absolutely the right word, but it's been affected by the very strong alternative meaning we give it as an adjective (which would originally have bee 'drunken' I suppose but became 'drunk' through idiom). We now perhaps say 'I was drunk' more often than 'I drunk the drink'.

Not that I mean that I was drunk more often than...

Oooh my head. Better have a drink.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                    We now perhaps say 'I was drunk' more often than 'I drunk the drink'.
                    Wouldn't one say 'drank the drink'?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Wouldn't one say 'drank the drink'?
                      Ah! You have it. I drank, I have drunk.

Have a drink

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Is this true ?
                        or more another myth along the lines of the "everything's better in Scotland" script ? (some things definitely ARE but not all as some would have us believe)
                        and if it is true, how does the water know where to fall when it evaporates ?
                        and if Scotland gets independence (they can have Gove back in the deal ) how will the rain be able to know where to fall so that English rain doesn't infect Scotland's rivers (which are, of course, much more beautiful, clean , pure and superior in every way to the rivers of the rest of the world).

Bottled water is a curse, Leeds university students union has banned it's sale so that there are free taps and you can fill your own bottles.
                        If you buy a bottle of Buxton water in Buxton (and not get it out of the public tap) it will have been sent to Tamworth to be bottled....... makes perfect sense , doesn't it

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

[duplicate: deleted]
                          Last edited by ahinton; 16-07-13, 09:51.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Is this true ?
                            or more another myth along the lines of the "everything's better in Scotland" script ? (some things definitely ARE but not all as some would have us believe)
                            and if it is true, how does the water know where to fall when it evaporates ?
                            and if Scotland gets independence (they can have Gove back in the deal ) how will the rain be able to know where to fall so that English rain doesn't infect Scotland's rivers (which are, of course, much more beautiful, clean , pure and superior in every way to the rivers of the rest of the world).

Bottled water is a curse, Leeds university students union has banned it's sale so that there are free taps and you can fill your own bottles.
                            If you buy a bottle of Buxton water in Buxton (and not get it out of the public tap) it will have been sent to Tamworth to be bottled....... makes perfect sense , doesn't it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/These-Brande.../dp/B00C1Z60N8
                            The answer - and I say this even as a Scotsman - is to use a water filter to ensure that the water that one drinks is decent. I use two - one to remove the chlorine from the entire household supply (and it is usually this more than anything else that makes it taste so horrible and it pollutes a fine malt to the point of destruction) and a reverse osmosis unit hooked up to the dedicated supply from the water dispenser on my fridge-freezer; I don't then have to buy bottles or worry about the source of the mains water which, in my area, varies enormously depending upon one's location vis-à-vis Hereford, most of the east of which has a soft water supply while eastern Herefordistan (i.e. towards the north end of the Black Mountains and the border with Waleziristan) has a supply as hard as a bullet, despite both being delivered by Dŵr Cymru (Welsh Water, for those here who do not speak Gælic - and don't even ask Wye it is that most if not all of Herefordistan gets its mains water from Wales...).

Speaking of the Wye (one of Britain's most beautiful rivers, to my mind), it burst its banks in quite a few places at the close of last year with some serious flooding as a result and it seems less than obvious that a few more weeks of the kind of warm summer weather that most places in Britain are currently enjoying are likely in contrast to bring about a dry Wye.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Dŵr Cymru (Welsh Water, for those here who do not speak Gælic .
                              (This probably should be in Pedants corner ?)
                              I got in trouble for suggesting to some musicians in Cardiff that they spoke Gælic when they were speaking Welsh !

Comment

Working...
                              X