X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

The real Miss Marple is back!

There is a new Freeview channel called "Drama" and I noticed that they are broadcasting Miss Marple repeats. I tuned in on the off chance and, joy oh joy, there was Joan Hickson!

Much better than the later "high gloss" versions even though the video quality is relatively poor. (I always found Geraldine McEwan unpleasantly creepy and unwatchable.)
    Last edited by johnb; 14-07-13, 21:27.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for that johnb. I have most of the 'real' Miss Marple on old videos but this worth
    investigating.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Joan Hickson for me too! I agree that Geraldine McEwan is a right turn off!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

I didn't know about the Drama channel (http://drama.uktv.co.uk/ )l before reading these posts. There is also another, which might just be a renaming/rebranding, called Yesterday - http://uktv.co.uk/yesterday/homepage/sid/9269 which has series such as Victorian Farm and a History of Britain, though it also seems to have other less factual programmes. It seems to be related to other channels, such as Dave, provided by UKTV - http://network.uktv.co.uk/

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Yes the DRAMA channel have daily episodes of lots of old favourites - Lovejoy, Rumpole, New Tricks, lots more.
          Miss Marple was just on Sunday last. All the 'little' stations are listed in th Radio Times, it might be worth getting one copy for the details.

disclaimer, I do not work for RT or get paidfor the above,[mind you £1.60 a week is expensive]

Comment

• amateur51

The real Miss Marple? Well of course that's Margaret Rutherford, my avatar

I can understand why so many prefer Joan Hickson, hers was a marvellous assumption. I thought Geraldine McEwen was grand too - I'd never realised that there were so many lesbians in Christie.

The problem is that Christie's character was really an outline, never really painted in. The reason so many 'treatments' deviate from the original is that the originals were not really that good as detective stories - Christie was a very naughty puzzle-setter sometimes, false clues, withholding information until the last, etc. But her books live on because she created a world in which Evil never triumphed, the good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That, as Wilde reminds us, is what Fiction means.

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              The reason so many 'treatments' deviate from the original is that the originals were not really that good as detective stories

Totally agree with everything said about Joan Hickson and Geraldine McEwan . I think that Julia Mackenzie is doing a pretty good job in the latest ones.
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• David-G
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                There is a new Freeview channel called "Drama" and I noticed that they are broadcasting Miss Marple repeats. I tuned in on the off chance and, joy oh joy, there was Joan Hickson!

Much better than the later "high gloss" versions even though the video quality is relatively poor. (I always found Geraldine McEwan unpleasantly creepy and unwatchable.)
                That is wonderful news!! Thank you for alerting us.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

The Joan Hickson Miss Marple is only on Sunday and, of course, I forgot to look yesterday.

SO, how do I get DRAMA channel on listen again/iPlayer ??

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Can you get this channel on freeview?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

sals and Bbm:

Stream Drama shows on demand for free on UKTV Play. A treasure trove of some of the greatest stories ever told.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

it's freeview channel 20 on my telly [you may have to do a retune] - you won't get it on iplayer because it's not BBC
                        for a "drama" channel there's a lot of sitcom on it

Comment

• anotherbob
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          for a "drama" channel there's a lot of sitcom on it
                          Sitcom is drama that is intentionally funny, unlike so much "real" drama.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                            Miss Marple repeats
                            Joan Hickson fans without the DVDs can see her as Miss Marple without adverts interrupting proceedings on BBC4 this Monday at 10pm

Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.

(It's repeated a week tomorrow at 7pm)

They're running it in conjunction with a new series (BBC4 Mondays 9pm) about the British predilection for murder which could be a hoot as it's presented by the rather delectable Lucy Worsley

Lucy Worsley investigates real-life murders of the first half of the 19th century.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

They're running it in conjunction with a new series (BBC4 Mondays 9pm) about the British predilection for murder which could be a hoot as it's presented by the rather delectable Lucy Worsley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ftzs2
                              Yes, I noticed that too, and she is, isn't she?

Comment

Working...
                              X