Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

My education was a moveable trans-manche feast, and eclectic, but included some teenage years in England where I attempted some "O" level exams. I was annoyed to receive an average mark for French, and was told that the previous year a "real" French pupil (i.e.not a Wallon) and a French Canadian had done worse. I did get a pass in Physics - having never attended any of the classes.

(I promised my family I would work hard at University. I arrived in Paris for the 1967-68 academic year, so was unable to keep that promise for a while.)

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

All this talk of school reports gives me a reminder of all those years of exams and the anxieties associated with them. When doing a clearout after I retired I deliberately destroyed all my school reports. My education since that time has taken on a much more interesting direction.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

One assumes that with the BBC Singers and Eric Whitacre we have, more or less,100% attendance on the airwaves at present .........

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          One assumes that with the BBC Singers and Eric Whitacre we have, more or less,100% attendance on the airwaves at present .........
          With Arvo Part in the second half!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Dream combo, what's not to like?

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Went for my regular check up at the cancer clinic, a couple of days ago. Kept on forgetting to put an update on!! But ass far ass the cancer is concerned, it's been behaving itself, the only things I have to put up with are that my right shoulder is still playing up, limited arm movement, I have a wedge fracture in one of my discs in T6. This presents itself with some discomfort. Not as much as my right shoulder though! The third problem are my eyes. I have had one cataract, in my left eye, for sometime, but now as some of you may know, I now have one in my right eye. so my optician, advised me not to drive. So poor MrsBBM has that to do now as well. I am hoping to have surgery on my wedge fracture in the coming months, as well as my eyes and shoulder as well. I am most certainly looking forward to have all of these done in the fullness of time, the sooner the better, but of course, at the behest of the NHS!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Went for my regular check up at the cancer clinic, a couple of days ago. Kept on forgetting to put an update on!! But ass far ass the cancer is concerned, it's been behaving itself, the only things I have to put up with are that my right shoulder is still playing up, limited arm movement, I have a wedge fracture in one of my discs in T6. This presents itself with some discomfort. Not as much as my right shoulder though! The third problem are my eyes. I have had one cataract, in my left eye, for sometime, but now as some of you may know, I now have one in my right eye. so my optician, advised me not to drive. So poor MrsBBM has that to do now as well. I am hoping to have surgery on my wedge fracture in the coming months, as well as my eyes and shoulder as well. I am most certainly looking forward to have all of these done in the fullness of time, the sooner the better, but of course, at the behest of the NHS!
                They do say problems come in threes, Bbm, and I hope this will turn out to have been the case.

I have to admit, in my case, to a self-inflicted example of discomfort, having unknowingly sat for several hours in a jacket soaked right through on the left shoulder side from last week's wet weather, before realising this to have been the case - since when I have experienced acute acheing in the upper arm whenever undertaking anything to do with lifting such as making the bed or simply moving a chair. I've tried a hot water bottle placed against the shoulder overnight, and doing the sorts of arm-stretching and bending exercises we used to do at school, all to no avail, and being loath to resorting to painkillers have decided to delay that until the weekend, assuming the problem hasn't reduced. One of those instances of learning the hard way, as my father always put it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Indeed, SA! The number three seems to be the key! Hope your shoulder won't be too much for you. Go see the doc!
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Yes!! Tickets booked. Accomadation booked! Going to Duxford for a week next month for the air show!!!!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      ...being loath to resorting to painkillers...
                      Have you tried ibuprofen gel, applied direct to the shuolder?

I find it works well!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Have you tried ibuprofen gel, applied direct to the shuolder?

I find it works well!
                        Thanks for that suggestion jean - as it happens I do have some of the gel with a nice smell, and might give it a go. I think the problem may be on the mend of its own accord, but if so it's a very slow process.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks for that suggestion jean - as it happens I do have some of the gel with a nice smell, and might give it a go. I think the problem may be on the mend of its own accord, but if so it's a very slow process.
                          I have to have a controled drug for the pain I get, can be quite a lot. Tramadol.
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            I have to have a controled drug for the pain I get, can be quite a lot. Tramadol.
                            It says on the Tramadol blurb that takers are not allowed to consume any alcohol. Knowing your likings for a jar, my sympathies are in more senses than one, Bbm. What a drag!!

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

being loath to resorting to painkillers
                              This contraption was highly recommended to cope with arthritic and muscular pain. Afraid I found it useless, but seems to work for some folk. https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/m...yABEgLRyvD_BwE
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

It says on the Tramadol blurb that takers are not allowed to consume any alcohol. Knowing your likings for a jar, my sympathies are in more senses than one, Bbm. What a drag!!
                                Well.......... not if I have taken any that day. I put up with it, so I can have at least a couple!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X