X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    Thank you everyone. At least it’s been diagnosed early! Added to the others I have already! Multiple Myeloma Cancer, from that due to the chemo and MM, I have Ts 1,7 & 12 collapsed, due to the chemo I had. A blocked branch and leaky heart valve, lymphodema in my right lower part of the keg, due to chemo.
    Your spirit is a true example to all of us, BBM!

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

I have just caught up with your latest bulletin BBM. Another set of hurdles for you and your dear wife to clear, I see. I'm sorry to read that news, as I have been following your progress for the last four and a half years. I have been more fortunate than you so far on the cancer front, and just in this last few hours I have turned up negative in a covid alert. I'm waiting now for the booster vaccination. I hope the cards fall more favourably for you this time. I share S_A's admiration for your attitude, as I'm sure all here do. Best wishes.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Earlier, my two little nieces and mum had a bit of a scare with absolutely loads of ants, many of which were flying ants on the wall next to the back door and all over the patio - also, a fair few actually in the kitchen next to the back door! We had to vacuum the ones in the kitchen up and obviously close the door. Then we discover this -

Flying Ant Day 2023 declared with swarms invading UK towns and cities - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Anyone else encountered them today?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Earlier, my two little nieces and mum had a bit of a scare with absolutely loads of ants, many of which were flying ants on the wall next to the back door and all over the patio - also, a fair few actually in the kitchen next to the back door! We had to vacuum the ones in the kitchen up and obviously close the door. Then we discover this -

Flying Ant Day 2023 declared with swarms invading UK towns and cities - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Not yet - possibly tomorrow though, when the drier, sunnier weather reaches us.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Not today, but we had them many years ago. One hot August Sunday afternoon the living room window was covered in black flying ants.. I'd never seen such a thing before, nor have I since. My mother vacuumed them up.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

For some time we've had ants on the patio, and sometimes the house sparrows would come down and snack on them. It has been reasonably warm and sunny today after the deluge of the latter half of yesterday.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

For some time we've had ants on the patio, and sometimes the house sparrows would come down and snack on them. It has been reasonably warm and sunny today after the deluge of the latter half of yesterday.
                Sunshine appears to trigger the necessary hormone release at this time of the year. Intending as I am to make the most of tomorrow I shall be on the lookout prior to starting out for greater than usual numbers of ants crawling and flying around, having got badly stung in the eye on one occasion. I ended up furiously ringing on a stranger's doorbell in agony - it was the first house I came across as I was cycling into Bath; fortunately the elderly lady resident trustingly let me in, and administered eye drops for me.

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Sunshine appears to trigger the necessary hormone release at this time of the year. Intending as I am to make the most of tomorrow I shall be on the lookout prior to starting out for greater than usual numbers of ants crawling and flying around, having got badly stung in the eye on one occasion. I ended up furiously ringing on a stranger's doorbell in agony - it was the first house I came across as I was cycling into Bath; fortunately the elderly lady resident trustingly let me in, and administered eye drops for me.
                  Sorry to hear that, S_A. Pleased to hear you were able to find help quickly.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Might have been a queen - they chew off their wings after mating...

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

On my walk today I overheard two ladies discussing how many ants and flying ants they had had yesterday on their patios. It sounded very much like the situation we'd had.

Wonder how the ants (and flying ants) coordinate it...

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

On my walk today I overheard two ladies discussing how many ants and flying ants they had had yesterday on their patios. It sounded very much like the situation we'd had.

If colonies are established at roughly the same time of year and develop ditto, then the move to establish new colonies will also come at roughly the same time, and will be prompted by suitable weather - warm and moist - which is common July-August time.
                        In the past the arrival of the swarms used to be signalled by large numbers of birds wheeling around the columns of ants as they rose into the sky, and picking them off. Got quite noisy if sea birds had come inland. The ant activity was concentrated and so very noticeable due the birds going after them, but now seems to be much less so, hereabouts at least.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Ant dissipation!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Ant dissipation!
                            Oh very good!

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Might have been a queen - they chew off their wings after mating...
                                Strikes me as a bit of an anticlimax.
                                (Old system used: emoji chosen from a sort of dropdown menu became a question mark!)

Comment

Working...
                                X