• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oakapple

But as Noel Coward wrote about the London of 1911:

London is a place where you can call right
    Round and have a cosy cup of tea;
    If you're fed right up and got your tail right down
    Then London town is a wonderful place to be.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Always lived in small towns or in the countryside. Not much of a city person really, unless it’s for a very good reason, especially nowadays.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        Always lived in small towns or in the countryside. Not much of a city person really, unless it’s for a very good reason, especially nowadays.
        I've lived in London and in much smaller places. One great advantage of the latter is that any new friends or acquaintances you make are less likely to live 20 or 30 bus or tube stops away. When I returned to Suffolk in the mid-1980s, I found it much less introverted and introspective than when I left in the early 1960s, owing in no small part to the influx of many people from elsewhere who came to work for BT and the Dock Company. More recently, we've welcomed quite a few Eastern Europeans, although I'm not sure how likely they are to stay given the continuing uncertainty over their citizenship rights and improvements in the economies of their home countries.
        Thanks to 'Music in Felixstowe', there are lots of live concerts (many more than there are in the county town) - mainly but not exclusively classical - so we don't feel culturally deprived. This Sunday it's the Elgar Piano Quintet, a Haydn Opus 33 string quartet and what appears to be chamber version of a Mozart piano concerto.

Comment

• Constantbee
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Cruel!

People here MUCH friendlier than where I used to live.
          :
          I haven’t found York to be a friendly place at all. Some of the social attitudes I’ve come across in this area have come out of the ark. I was speechless when I started talking to local people and listening to what they actually thought about the big issues of today, most of which doesn’t bear repeating. Unsurprisingly it’s also got some of the worst problems with social isolation, some of the least considerate farmers, landowners and developers of anywhere I’ve ever lived. Glad you’re having a good time, though.
          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
            I haven’t found York to be a friendly place at all. Some of the social attitudes I’ve come across in this area have come out of the ark. I was speechless when I started talking to local people and listening to what they actually thought about the big issues of today, most of which doesn’t bear repeating. Unsurprisingly it’s also got some of the worst problems with social isolation, some of the least considerate farmers, landowners and developers of anywhere I’ve ever lived. Glad you’re having a good time, though.
            Forget the Midlands try the North ....

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Per R4, 30 pages of today's national newspapers devoted to 2 blokes having an argument in a restaurant and one emerging with a scratch on his face. Pulitzer here we come.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Now don’t start that rubbish again about the north starting with you lot nearly in Scotland or I’ll have to stop saying nice things about the Hangers!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Now don’t start that rubbish again about the north starting with you lot nearly in Scotland or I’ll have to stop saying nice things about the Hangers!
                  My lips are sealed .....

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

My lips are sealed .....

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

I heard a government chap on R4 this morning saying that they did care about the "remote" parts of the country ..... meaning Doncaster

(the flooded village of Fishlake has a clue in it's name ...... I blame the Dutch, once we are free of the shackles we can return to how things were before that meddling Cornelius Vermuyden was allowed to mess with our country)

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        I heard a government chap on R4 this morning saying that they did care about the "remote" parts of the country ..... meaning Doncaster

(the flooded village of Fishlake has a clue in it's name ...... I blame the Dutch, once we are free of the shackles we can return to how things were before that meddling Cornelius Vermuyden was allowed to mess with our country)
                        ....punting around marshes might be a new holiday delight....Ultima Thule Water Sports....
                        bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                          ....punting around marshes might be a new holiday delight....Ultima Thule Water Sports....
                          I would be very wary of searching for that on the internet

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Ely could become an island state...

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Throwing caution to the winds, I see the error. It should have read "Arrokoth Water Sports".

Comment

Working...
                                X