X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I vaguely remember pre-computer days when I worked on what would now be called 'spreadsheets'. As office juniors we had to manually tot up columns of figures (no calculators) and write in the totals. We didn't notice we'd made a mistake until we checked the column totals and they didn't tally. Then we cut up small squares of paper and pasted them over the mistakes and wrote in the corrections. Tippex was the future.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oliver sudden
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      (no calculators)

I still use Tippex (which I thought was a German name?)… we still play from actual paper parts from time to time and there’s no getting away from the odd bit of correction fluid. (I grew up calling it Liquid Paper and still call it that to confuse people.)

I would not of course dream of using it to remove superfluous notes although I will neither confirm nor deny having seen it so used.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

I still use Tippex (which I thought was a German name?)… we still play from actual paper parts from time to time and there’s no getting away from the odd bit of correction fluid. (I grew up calling it Liquid Paper and still call it that to confuse people.)

I would not of course dream of using it to remove superfluous notes although I will neither confirm nor deny having seen it so used.
        Where I worked two of the lassies came in one day wearing T-shirts bearing the logo "Cover your boobs with Tippex" (or it might have been Snopake). The boss ordered them home!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I think I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that my bread isn't very good. Is the satisfaction of mixing, kneading, proving, knocking back, baking, cooling and sampling that first delicious crust worth ending up with a loaf that has a damp sticky middle? Perhaps just bake it for longer than 30 mins? Or go back to buying excellent local artisanal bread (two bakers to choose from).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Artisanal bread - should be cheaper in long run. Made a similar decision 4 months ago.
            Tough decision to make, I know, but..............

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

I think I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that my bread isn't very good. Is the satisfaction of mixing, kneading, proving, knocking back, baking, cooling and sampling that first delicious crust worth ending up with a loaf that has a damp sticky middle? Perhaps just bake it for longer than 30 mins? Or go back to buying excellent local artisanal bread (two bakers to choose from).
              Split the dough so each piece isn't so big and it bakes right through?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Split the dough so each piece isn't so big and it bakes right through?
                I only bake one small loaf at a time Barely the equivalent of a 400g loaf.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

I only bake one small loaf at a time Barely the equivalent of a 400g loaf.
                  I would have suggested splitting the dough as well, but perhaps another alternative is to try a different shape or, if you use a tin try it without, just on a baking sheet, to get more heat to the centre before the crust gets too well done?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I would have suggested splitting the dough as well, but perhaps another alternative is to try a different shape or, if you use a tin try it without, just on a baking sheet, to get more heat to the centre before the crust gets too well done?
                    I used to just dump the dough on a baking tin, so I may go back to that. The very hot weather lately may also make keeping it for a few days more difficult as this hasn't happened before. I think Draco is probably right that an artisan baker's small loaf may be cheaper, given the cost of baking a single loaf, plus ingredients bought in small quantities. I only save money on the labour costs which may very well be a false economy given the inferior labour. Bought is better value overall all things considered - though it tends to get eaten up more rapdly.

Comment

Working...
                    X