X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    For me, best news - shows what a tiny life I live - BUT supermarket has agreed to deliver!! Huzza!!!
    Good!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      The implication of that is that you are prepared to risk going to the shops. The last time I went to a shop was I think in the first week of March. I don't intend to go out at all now for a whie, not even to pick up medicine, since my prescription has been sent to a pharmacy 8 or so miles away. I'd rather take the chance that the increased risk from not taking the prophylactic tablets is small compared with the potential risk from picking up Covid 19. Maybe eventually the pharmacy will organise a mail out or delivery. I'm not in the ultra high risk category, but in a group with a higher perceived risk.

I am surprised that some of my friends who live in quite busy places compared with us, are still going to shops.
      So - you're getting all your groceries online/van? You're very lucky!
      Had online accounts @Sainsburys/Ocado for years, but delivery slots are impossible now...

So no choice but to queue out into the car park... and wait for taxis......

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

For me, best news - shows what a tiny life I live - BUT supermarket has agreed to deliver!! Huzza!!!
        That really is good news and I’d imagine a real relief for you. I was speaking to an 84 year old friend of mine this morning who had turned up at Sainsburys for the ‘oldies hour’ to find a full car park, seeing several under seventies wheeling over-full trolleys and on entering the store found largely empty shelves including no flour or 4 pint cartons of milk and difficulty in negotiating the ailes because of store staff picking for click and collect - he was not a happy man!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
          What do you do with the stuff you don’t like/want/need? I got a parcel on my discharge from hospital last year. Mostly good but contained cornflakes (hate them) pasta (rarely eat it and nothing to use with it) and whole milk (I only have skimmed). I did appreciate the whole thing though.
          They say the food you do not like, let the council know.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Are these like BJ's letter (yet to come) - and will arrive spontaneously, or do you have to apply? I'm not sure if our neighbour might be in the high risk category - her husband certainly is - but he's in hospital at the moment anyway.
            We haven’t had ours either. You just have to wait. Imagine the scale involved.
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              We haven’t had ours either. You just have to wait. Imagine the scale involved.
              The cardboard delivery boxes are beginning to pile up. I'm thinking compost heap.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

And The Wine Society - best list in the biz - has stopped delivery................disaster!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  The cardboard delivery boxes are beginning to pile up. I'm thinking compost heap.
                  Is there nowhere to store them if disassembled and packed flat? It's important to keep such material dry if it's eventually to go for recycling.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 04-04-20, 10:56. Reason: Typo

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Apparently there is concern about the supply of materials for cardboard manufacture with councils etc. not collecting recyclables. Delivery/online retail companies will need to get together to arrange taking back the empties perhaps. Paper banks and cardboard skips might reappear?
                    Cardboard boxes may yet end up having a value! Although actually for those moving house (in happier times) they have always been in demand on the likes of Freegle, where the same boxes get circulated as one move is completed to another starting.
                    An unfortunate effect of the closure of tips is the increase in backyard fires, especially as spare time is now directing energies to clearing out sheds etc. Just as well perhaps that the enormous reduction on traffic and therefore air pollution from exhausts means that there is some 'spare' dirt capacity, although the burning of plastic type waste will produce toxic smoke in close proximity to people.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

And The Wine Society - best list in the biz - has stopped delivery................disaster!

Let's hope our local Majestic gets back up and running soon, then.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Good idea!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Hay fever sufferers: does anyone not-open their window to stop the pollen and is it worth it when it gets really hot?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Hay fever sufferers: does anyone not-open their window to stop the pollen and is it worth it when it gets really hot?
                            I am not a hay fever sufferer but tend only to open the windows at night to keep the sounds of traffic and building work, etc. attenuated. Drawing the curtains across on the sunny side of the house helps to keep the internal temperature down.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              I've never noticed it makes much difference. I don't have my bedroom window open at night but that's because noise disturbs my already ropey sleep - it's open a crack during the day as much as possible. Other windows in the house are also open a crack during much of the warmer weather - a stuffy house exacerbates dustmite allergy problems which can be more unpleasant than hayfever sometimes(closed up throat is uncomfortable...) I would say though that I have net or voile curtains at the windows to screen out sun or help keep the temperature down a tad so that might help reduce pollen getting in? I know the advice given is to keep windows closed but I don't know if there is any data to back that up.
                              Over the years of being a sufferer myself and talking to others I've come to the conclusion that often the solution is as individual as the individual's experience of the problem. It's useful to gather as much info as possible but not to assume that any or all will automatically work just because they did for someone else. Apart from anything else a lot will depend on what the trigger is and the extent to which that can be limited or is of defined duration- eg tree pollen - so some of the 'this worked for me' may have more to do with that than the remedy itself. A friend finds the barrier method(grease under the nostril) useful, but for me if I'm going well(!) it doesn't stay on long enough!

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                                X